PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have tips on decorating above kitchen cabinets?

gatorsmom
03-12-2013, 09:48 AM
I am unpacking all my house decorations and apparently I went way out in our last house because I have tons of them! And I am eager to find a home for some of them either on shelves or cabinet tops.

I haven't found a particular thread on houzz about it but there must be some article somewhere about decorating above cabinets.

In my last house I went all out with fake plants above the cabinets but I am moving away from the fake plants, I think. I have a couple of big roosters I placed on top of my provincial- looking cabinets but they look kind of lonely up there without anything else there.

Anyone have any ideas?

boltfam
03-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Colorful bowls and vases? That's what I have but I am interested in getting more ideas.

elbenn
03-12-2013, 10:14 AM
I have big vases and pottery items above my cabinets and also have framed pictures set on easels or just leaning up against the wall.

Seitvonzu
03-12-2013, 10:15 AM
the top of my mother's cabinets in her old kitchen looked AMAZING...i'm trying to think of all the stuff that was up there. i'm sure there was a bit of fake plants (not the whole thing done that way at all-- just maybe one or two for variation?) i also remember an old timey scale, and some larger serving things... gosh. that was a while ago and i can't really remember--it was very well done, but i did get a little skeeved out when i asked her how often she cleaned up there and she said "i can't remember that i do?"

hahaha.

i have a couple fake greenery things for color/texture-- a large white sur la table soup tureen, a tiered server with fruit, some pitchers (silverplate/ceramic), a large haviland dish on a plate stand, my tangines (they are big...so it's good there is space for them up there :), a dragonfly serving platter (large/metal... my mother registered for this FOR ME when i got married..it's awesome :)) , my lemonade jar (large with a spigot style), there are a few pictures hung behind this stuff (small, it was my mother's touch)-- it sounds sorta mishmash, but it looks nice. the trouble i had was finding things that had impact without being too tall. i DO clean up there-- so i've steered clear of the more "knickyknacky" stuff my mother would decorate with. i DO decorate up there for Eastertime-- so i'll use baskets/bunnies/eggs/dishes, etc. but that isn't a year round thing-- it stays up about a month. this year i'm thinking of doing a "veggie garden" sorta theme up there...because our party is bunny in a garden :) that seems more neutral...so it might stay up a little longer (depends how much i like it)

for stuff like that i tend to do a "try it and see if you love it" approach. when my mother helped me we started with what i already had and bought VERY FEW things (the greenery and a bit of artificial fruit from michaels)

lalasmama
03-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Our kitchen theme at the moment is wine, so we have pairs of interesting wine glasses, champagne flutes, etc.

For a "rooster"ish kitchen, could you put some chicken wire in a frame without glass maybe? (Thinking an old farmhouse look.)

lovin2shop
03-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Watching this thread with major interest! We had a stager come out to our current house and the first thing she did was pull down all of the Ivy! I had wanted to do this for quite awhile, but too lazy and dust adverse to get it done until forced. Colorful vases and stoneware were recommended, but she said that you need an eye for accessory scale and placement or it just looks cluttered. I definitely don't have this eye! Our new house has a lot of cabinets (yay!), but we didn't upgrade to the high low placement because of window interference and cost. I'm kind of regretting that now, and I will definitely need something to break up the horizontal expanse of cabinets!

WitMom
03-12-2013, 11:32 AM
I "pinned" this post....It has helped me with our cabinets (but they still don't look as nice as hers).

http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com.au/2011/04/above-cabinets.html

fauve01
03-12-2013, 12:15 PM
my mom has birdhouses above her cabinets. they look pretty cute. DD made/decorated one, she's gotten a couple others on trips she and my dad took, she got a couple as gifts from friends.