PDA

View Full Version : Anyone following the election of the Pope?

Gracemom
03-12-2013, 11:58 AM
We are at home today since it is spring break and I turned on the TV and they are covering the papal conclave. I'm curious why it is on national TV. It seems that they are showing the cardinals at mass. I can see it being on the Catholic channel, and I can see the major networks breaking in when the new Pope is chosen. But is it necessary now before anything is really happening? I am curious what others think. And is there any chance that there will be an American Pope?

Kindra178
03-12-2013, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=Gracemom;3747688 And is there any chance that there will be an American Pope?[/QUOTE]

Very doubtful. As a practicing Catholic, I have NO IDEA why the Papal Conclave is getting so much coverage in the mainstream media. It is one the most wrongly and rightly maligned organizations out there.

amldaley
03-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Very doubtful. As a practicing Catholic, I have NO IDEA why the Papal Conclave is getting so much coverage in the mainstream media. It is one the most wrongly and rightly maligned organizations out there.

B/c the Catholic Church is hugely politically influential both here in the US and especially in Europe.

Katigre
03-12-2013, 12:08 PM
B/c the Catholic Church is hugely politically influential both here in the US and especially in Europe.

And in Latin America and parts of Asia like the Philippines.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

wellyes
03-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Yes, an American is being discussed as a possible candidate (in the media, at least). That would be a Very Big Deal here, and all the news outlets want to get in front of it. Cardinal O'Malley.

Also remember 1 in 4 Americans identify as Catholic. So not only is the election of a Pope newsworthy on its own, there is a sizable built-in audience with at least a little interest in the story.

sunshine873
03-12-2013, 12:12 PM
The conclave was covered pretty in-depth with the last papal election too. I'm not catholic, but do find it all somewhat fascinating. I love when they start voting...waiting for smoke...

janine
03-12-2013, 12:16 PM
I haven't watched TV today so not sure how extensive the coverage is but I see no problem with the national coverage. It is a huge world event. And there is a (small) chance of an American pope, but that isn't the only reason to televise it-the US should be more world centric anyway.

Now as to whether this drags on for days, I'm not sure! If it does then I would agree that's way too much coverage. I think it'll be sooner than later.

o_mom
03-12-2013, 12:19 PM
The conclave was covered pretty in-depth with the last papal election too. I'm not catholic, but do find it all somewhat fascinating. I love when they start voting...waiting for smoke...

:yeahthat:

I remember the last one - I would have been 9 mos pg with DS2 and probably spent the whole time on the couch watching it. :)

NCGrandma
03-12-2013, 12:29 PM
I found this, too, when I turned on the noon news. One fascinating thing to me is the live news coverage, with lots of close-ups and interesting camera angles. I assume that this will all be abruptly cut off after all the participants finish taking an oath of secrecy.

wendibird22
03-12-2013, 12:40 PM

It's like a royal wedding...a spectacle of tradition and mystery and only happens once in a blue moon.

A FB friend joked that the 1st smoke signal would indicate their vote for which place they are ordering take out from.:ROTFLMAO:

WitMom
03-12-2013, 12:46 PM
I think Wendibird nailed it. It's the mystery and tradition surrounding it that intrigue people and make it the story that it is.

maestramommy
03-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Not really following, but I do listen to npr updates. I have to admit as an outsider I am curious as to what the conclave thinks they ought to go for this time around.

brittone2
03-12-2013, 01:08 PM
We aren't Catholic, but I attended a Jesuit university, and have some interest in the Catholic church as a result. My mom also grew up Catholic and converted later. DS1 and I have talked about it a bit as part of our HSing, and it brings up lots of good discussion points. DS1 has studied the influence of a few Popes as part of our HS history, so he has some interest in the topic.

scrooks
03-12-2013, 01:20 PM
I am a lapsed catholic but am finding the coverage fascinating. I agree, it is like a royal wedding. Doesn't happen too often and filled with lots and lots of tradition.

Giantbear
03-12-2013, 01:45 PM
I went with an underdog with my pope bracket, i do love march madness

WitMom
03-12-2013, 02:09 PM
You crack me up Giantbear. Who's your pick?

BigDog
03-12-2013, 02:25 PM

Yeah, I was glued to the TV for days the last time around. For some reason I was fascinated. I was raised catholic though I haven't been to church in years. Disenchanted with our local archdiocese because of all the priests' sex scandals and how they handled it. Definitely hoping for a less conservative, open-minded pope this time.

citymama
03-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Because it's a slow news week? Because the media has a 24/7 news cycle in which they're reporting on Miley Cyrus's new hair cut for 3 hours/day and would love something resembling "real" news?

My favorite part of the Pope pick is this fake posting for the job (http://mashable.com/2013/03/11/pope-linkedin/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=feedburner&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mashable+%28Mashable%29) on Linked In. :ROTFLMAO:

Gracemom
03-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Because it's a slow news week? Because the media has a 24/7 news cycle in which they're reporting on Miley Cyrus's new hair cut for 3 hours/day and would love something resembling "real" news?

My favorite part of the Pope pick is this fake posting for the job (http://mashable.com/2013/03/11/pope-linkedin/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=feedburner&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mashable+%28Mashable%29) on Linked In. :ROTFLMAO:

That was hilarious! Thanks for sharing.

Kindra178
03-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Definitely hoping for a less conservative, open-minded pope this time.

I sincerely doubt this will happen. Although I have been the first to criticize Benedict in his hope for a smaller church that is more doctrinally pure, his obvious disdain of Vatican II reforms and the new language of the English Mass (among other things), he was definitely very much for the plight of the poor and the worker. Indeed, if you read some of writings while he was pope, he was a radical. I suspect that the new pope will not necessarily embrace this aspect of the social justice side of what it means to be Catholic.

icunurse
03-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Saw it on the TV today while out for breakfast. We laughed that they were just getting started at 4pm their time, which seems kinda late for a bunch of (mostly) old guys. Also discussed the utter extravagance of the whole thing from outfits to all the gold to the religion having its own city. Seems so wasteful when so many of the religions followers are poor......

Hoping for an African or Asian pope to reflect the new surge of followers from those areas, but doubtful that the church will see beyond "tradition", so thinking it will be another old, cranky white guy set in the church's current ways and not willing to step out to shake things up a bit. Loving the odds makers, though....some are even giving Bono a shot! Lol

gatorsmom
03-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Saw it on the TV today while out for breakfast. We laughed that they were just getting started at 4pm their time, which seems kinda late for a bunch of (mostly) old guys. Also discussed the utter extravagance of the whole thing from outfits to all the gold to the religion having its own city. Seems so wasteful when so many of the religions followers are poor......

Hoping for an African or Asian pope to reflect the new surge of followers from those areas, but doubtful that the church will see beyond "tradition", so thinking it will be another old, cranky white guy set in the church's current ways and not willing to step out to shake things up a bit. Loving the odds makers, though....some are even giving Bono a shot! Lol

I know you guys probably don't mean to be disrespectful but for some of us, this is more than a football match you are watching. We take it very seriously.

As for the cranky old white guy comment, John Paul II was a huge break in tradition. A non-Italian cardinal from a communist country was a huge long-shot 30 years ago. And I'm sure a German wasn't what everyone was thinking of either.

sariana
03-12-2013, 07:27 PM
What I don't understand is this: If the choice of Pope is divinely inspired, how is it that the vote is not unanimous? Assuming the final count is the 77 out of 115 required, were he other 28 just not listening to G-d? Or what? I truly do not mean this disrespectfully; it really does confuse me.

gatorsmom
03-12-2013, 07:37 PM
What I don't understand is this: If the choice of Pope is divinely inspired, how is it that the vote is not unanimous? Assuming the final count is the 77 out of 115 required, were he other 28 just not listening to G-d? Or what? I truly do not mean this disrespectfully; it really does confuse me.

Well, this is just my gut talking here, but Catholics don't believe God made all to be robots to think alike and agree on everything. God has given us all gifts and talents that are unique ton everyone giving everyone a unique perspective. I'm not sure thats the best description of it but I think it would have made my old grade school nun teachers proud. :D

icunurse
03-12-2013, 08:17 PM
I know you guys probably don't mean to be disrespectful but for some of us, this is more than a football match you are watching. We take it very seriously.

As for the cranky old white guy comment, John Paul II was a huge break in tradition. A non-Italian cardinal from a communist country was a huge long-shot 30 years ago. And I'm sure a German wasn't what everyone was thinking of either.

Every Catholic I know, even the serious ones, are taking guesses at who will be chosen. Odds are odds. Even local priests are joking about it. It is a lot of mystery and pomp and circumstance. It draws worldwide attention and attention they are getting.

JPII was a friendly enough guy and many Catholics didn't care for him because he wasn't "old school" enough. Just as many people don't care for the recent pope because he seems to have moved the church backwards. Both are still old, white guys (crankiness open to interpretation) and it would be nice for the church to show a bigger acceptance of its members by going rogue and choosing someone perhaps in the young 60s and non-white. The African and Asian countries have the fastest growing population of Catholics in the world - why not acknowledge and build on that? But, as I said before, the church likes tradition almost to detriment, so it is unlikely that anyone too far off radar will be chosen (and a US or Canadian choice wouldn't be shocking other than it would be a first). But hoping for a surprise :)

gatorsmom
03-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Every Catholic I know, even the serious ones, are taking guesses at who will be chosen. Odds are odds. Even local priests are joking about it. It is a lot of mystery and pomp and circumstance. It draws worldwide attention and attention they are getting.

JPII was a friendly enough guy and many Catholics didn't care for him because he wasn't "old school" enough. Just as many people don't care for the recent pope because he seems to have moved the church backwards. Both are still old, white guys (crankiness open to interpretation) and it would be nice for the church to show a bigger acceptance of its members by going rogue and choosing someone perhaps in the young 60s and non-white. The African and Asian countries have the fastest growing population of Catholics in the world - why not acknowledge and build on that? But, as I said before, the church likes tradition almost to detriment, so it is unlikely that anyone too far off radar will be chosen (and a US or Canadian choice wouldn't be shocking other than it would be a first). But hoping for a surprise :)

I am sure there are people, placing bets of all degrees of faithfulness. But some of us take this very seriously. Some of us are praying very deeply about this. For some of us, this is as serious as cancer. And we pray for the leader of our church, our father, as if he was a beloved grandfather. All I'm asking is for some consideration and respect.

I think people forget that popes aren't elected to represent the human population. I suspect the Holy Spirit has his own reasons for things turning out the way they do. And I suspect that I will never know what those reasons are, being the lowly human that I am.

icunurse
03-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Lisa, I was born and raised Catholic. 16 years of Catholic schooling and all of the sacraments allowed for being a woman and not dying. Since I am still on their books despite my greatest wish to not be one of them, I do have an interest in it. I would love for them, in my eyes, to turn things around and make themselves a standard to live up to, revitalize themselves, become a symbol of goodness over other things the church has come to be known for. Even though people do not watch with the reverence that you do or get as upset when others do not act the same way (as you said, we are not robots in our actions), it does not mean that people are not interested and invested just the same.

sariana
03-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Well, this is just my gut talking here, but Catholics don't believe God made all to be robots to think alike and agree on everything. God has given us all gifts and talents that are unique ton everyone giving everyone a unique perspective. I'm not sure thats the best description of it but I think it would have made my old grade school nun teachers proud. :D

Thanks, Lisa. I appreciate your response.:waving4:

gatorsmom
03-12-2013, 09:19 PM
. Even though people do not watch with the reverence that you do or get as upset when others do not act the same way (as you said, we are not robots in our actions), it does not mean that people are not interested and invested just the same.

Im saying this gently. I'm not asking for you to be a robot or to think the way I do. I'm just asking for some consideration for those of us who might be offended by the way you are referring to someone we love deeply. I love our Holy Father. We have created a life that revolves around our faith, understanding and studying tradition and devoting our lives to it. I'm not asking everyone to do that. I'm simply asking everyone to gently consider others and consider how their words might hurt. Just as I would never make a joke about the Muslim or Hindu faith here, I would hope that others wouldn't make fun of my faith or the leader of it.

icunurse
03-12-2013, 09:46 PM
And I will respectfully ask you to explain how anyone here has made fun of your holy father? Criticism isn't mocking. Different opinions isn't disrespectful. Your faith or how Catholic you are does not trump mine. What I have said is truthful....past popes have been old, they have been white, they have and will always be men. Based on church actions and past history, there are odds on who has a bigger chance of being chosen (an older man of European decent). I would like to see the church take a new direction and choose a fresh face. There are many faults and inconsistencies in the Catholic religion, especially at the higher levels, IMO of course, and I would like to see some things change.

Kindra178
03-12-2013, 09:55 PM

Agreed Lisa. This is what is bothering me about the media circus, the jokes, etc. The media and general public are the first to criticize the Catholic Church yet everyone seems to want to be a part of the Conclave.

Kindra178
03-12-2013, 09:59 PM
And I will respectfully ask you to explain how anyone here has made fun of your holy father? Criticism isn't mocking. Different opinions isn't disrespectful. Your faith or how Catholic you are does not trump mine. What I have said is truthful....past popes have been old, they have been white, they have and will always be men. Based on church actions and past history, there are odds on who has a bigger chance of being chosen (an older man of European decent). I would like to see the church take a new direction and choose a fresh face. There are many faults and inconsistencies in the Catholic religion, especially at the higher levels, IMO of course, and I would like to see some things change.

Sorry for the double post; just read this. Even if the new new pope is from a continent other than Europe, and however exciting that may be to break the European model that's been in place forever, African and South American cardinals tend to be more conservative and less open to the kind of change Americans and/or Europeans want. None of the South American cardinals are former liberation theologists, but rather the people that cracked down on that on JPII's urging.

elektra
03-12-2013, 10:33 PM
I think that the reality tv aspect of it, along with the royal-wedding type of traditions are big reasons behind the coverage.
The whole "waiting for the smoke color" is suspenseful tv!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
03-13-2013, 12:28 AM
I think Tagle, the Filipino is in. I'm a recovering Catholic, no disrespect intended. I liked JP2 he was a good man.

OKKiddo
03-13-2013, 12:53 AM

I was also offended. The thread was a general question asking about who was following the election of the new Pope not a discussion thread about what all you believe is wrong with the religion. I found what you said about the Cardinals being "old" and a generalization of their abilities or energies to be offensive as well. I'm sure there are members on this board over the age of 50.

I have noticed as well on this forum that anytime the Catholic faith is discussed it's usually trampled and disrespected in a way that no other faith on here is (excluding a thread on Scientology but even then I noticed that people tread more softly than they do when discussing the Catholic faith).

As far as why they met late in the afternoon they vote four times a day--twice in the morning and twice at night (except the first day and then I believe it's only twice total--but I could be wrong and it's only once). Also, we're all born with free will and sometimes our willfullness gets in the way of the Holy Spirit's voice. Anyway, I'm still learning, I am a recent convert (3 years ago) but I have found an incredible peace and happiness with my faith and I would love for others to not speak about it with a tone of ridicule because it honestly hurts when that happens.

I don't think that the Catholic doctrine is easy and it's definitely slow to change but that loyalty to it's roots is what has kept the Catholic faith true to it's beginnings. Rules are not always popular or easy to follow.

bisous
03-13-2013, 05:55 AM
I just have to say as a non-catholic that this is exciting for me to watch. There are millions of devout followers (like Lisa and other posters) who are awaiting their new religious leader! I just want to say that I respect you, I respect your church. I respect the tremendous good that it does in the world and my prayers are with yours that the next leader will help the world in the ways that it needs.

icunurse
03-13-2013, 08:36 AM
I was also offended. The thread was a general question asking about who was following the election of the new Pope not a discussion thread about what all you believe is wrong with the religion. I found what you said about the Cardinals being "old" and a generalization of their abilities or energies to be offensive as well. I'm sure there are members on this board over the age of 50.

The average age of the cardinals at the conclave is almost 72, which I consider old based on average life expectancy. I said that I would like a fresh face for Catholicism, nothing specific about the religion beyond that as this is not the political forum. I understand that any cardinal chosen is going to be conservative, maybe even more so than recent ones. But there are things that I, as someone raised Catholic and therefore a part of the largest and most publicized religious organization in the world, would like to see represented in the church that I, personally, am not seeing. Sorry if that is seen as judgmental by anyone (as I do respect all religions and how anyone chooses to participate in them), but that is one of the ways that I am basing my hopes for the chosen pope.

Bowing out now as this is way off topic and not going anywhere. Hoping everyone enjoys the voting process in their own way and for whatever reasons.

jawilli4
03-13-2013, 09:04 AM
I just have to say as a non-catholic that this is exciting for me to watch. There are millions of devout followers (like Lisa and other posters) who are awaiting their new religious leader! I just want to say that I respect you, I respect your church. I respect the tremendous good that it does in the world and my prayers are with yours that the next leader will help the world in the ways that it needs.

Also, for anyone interested, I found an amazing blog through NPR. The blogger is Rocco Palma, a church analyst for The New York Times, Associated Press, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, BBC, NBC, CNN, National Public Radio and many other mainstream print and broadcast outlets worldwide. It is a fascinating and insightful blog to read. http://whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/

wellyes
03-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Goofy (but not disrespectful) site: http://www.istherewhitesmoke.com/

Gracemom
03-13-2013, 12:56 PM

Also, for anyone interested, I found an amazing blog through NPR. The blogger is Rocco Palma, a church analyst for The New York Times, Associated Press, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, BBC, NBC, CNN, National Public Radio and many other mainstream print and broadcast outlets worldwide. It is a fascinating and insightful blog to read. http://whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/

That you for that link. The main problem I had with the TV coverage is that the newscaster didn't really have much knowledge of what was going on. I find it fascinating that the new Pope will be the 266th one. That's one long tradition!

The American cardinal I like best is Sean O'Malley from Boston. He has a blog here: http://www.cardinalseansblog.org/ I love that he took pics of the last meeting with Benedict on his iPhone. :)

MelissaTC
03-13-2013, 01:54 PM
The average age of the cardinals at the conclave is almost 72, which I consider old based on average life expectancy. I said that I would like a fresh face for Catholicism, nothing specific about the religion beyond that as this is not the political forum. I understand that any cardinal chosen is going to be conservative, maybe even more so than recent ones. But there are things that I, as someone raised Catholic and therefore a part of the largest and most publicized religious organization in the world, would like to see represented in the church that I, personally, am not seeing. Sorry if that is seen as judgmental by anyone (as I do respect all religions and how anyone chooses to participate in them), but that is one of the ways that I am basing my hopes for the chosen pope.

Bowing out now as this is way off topic and not going anywhere. Hoping everyone enjoys the voting process in their own way and for whatever reasons.

I totally agree with you. And I know many others that do.

NCGrandma
03-13-2013, 02:12 PM
CNN says the new pope has been elected -- nothing about who, yet.