PDA

View Full Version : Would you say anything to the teacher?

mommylamb
03-12-2013, 04:31 PM
DS1 is 5 and in K. I am really trying to work with him on his grammar, but he consistently says things like "Can me and so-and-so have a snack?" To be fair to him, I hear adults make similar mistakes all the time. These mistakes are also made constantly in children's programming. But, that doesn't make it acceptable. It just drives me bonkers. DH thinks I'm nuts for caring.

The word "me" is one of his sight words at the moment. Yesterday, he came home with a worksheet on which he had to write a sentence using the word me. His sentence was "Me and my mom play." His teacher put a smiley face on the worksheet. Would I be nuts to bring it up? I was thinking of asking her if they would be addressing grammar in their lessons and saying that I was concerned about his grammar and that we work on it at home, but I was hoping they'd address it at school as well. Then, I could bring up the worksheet as an example to illustrate my concern. WDYT?

egoldber
03-12-2013, 04:46 PM
I would not say anything.

Ceepa
03-12-2013, 04:49 PM
IME, in Kindergarten they will correct spoken grammar, if at all, but don't teach it yet. It's similar to a school accepting inventive spelling at the Kindergarten level. I would keep correcting DS at home. It can take a while for proper grammar to click.

gatorsmom
03-12-2013, 06:11 PM
I probably wouldn't say anything to the teacher, though I would notice it and be annoyed too.

However, I do correct my kids any time they make a grammatical error. I don't make a big deal of it I just something like, "yes, sweetie, I'd love to play with you. And we say 'mommy and I, not mommy and me'.". If you keep saying it right, eventually they will say it right too. At least, that's my theory. :tongue5:

Green_Tea
03-12-2013, 06:18 PM
I would not say anything.

I/me is not something that's really taught until later in elementary. I think it would actually be less appropriate for her to correct it than to leave it, as proper grammar is not an expectation in K. In K they are encouraging writing and sight words - sounds like he's doing a bang up job. :)

Pyrodjm
03-12-2013, 07:52 PM
IME, in Kindergarten they will correct spoken grammar, if at all, but don't teach it yet. It's similar to a school accepting inventive spelling at the Kindergarten level. I would keep correcting DS at home. It can take a while for proper grammar to click.

THIS. Word for word.

mommylamb
03-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Ok. Good to have a reality check. Thanks.