PDA

View Full Version : What's on your typical VitaMix grocery list?

LD92599
03-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Question for Vita Mix users...what's on your "go to" shopping list of stuff to have on hand for the VitaMix?

♥ms.pacman♥
03-12-2013, 09:37 PM
things we almost always have on hand
-plain whole-milk yogurt
-bananas
-spinach
-oranges
-apples
-soy milk

we also often have carrots, grapes, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, frozen peaches. i bought Chia seeds from trader joe's but have yet to try them.

we get fresh mango, and frozen pineapple and frozen blueberries from Costco. the frozen pineapple bag is HUUGE but we actually went through it all in a just a couple weeks!

wellyes
03-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Bananas, fresh spinach or mixed greens, frozen peaches and mango and pineapple, flax seeds, random assorted fresh fruits. It's my 2 year old's daily breakfast!

chottumommy
03-12-2013, 10:38 PM
I also substitute kale for spinach sometimes depending on what I have at hand. Sometimes I use mango pulp from the Indian store (for a true mango taste) to make mango lassi.

twowhat?
03-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Frozen berry mix from Costco, or the "antioxidant" mix from Costco though next time I think I'll stick with just strawberries/blueberries because I don't like the broken raspberry seeds and even the Vitamix won't totally liquidize raspberry seeds.

The tropical frozen fruit blend from Costco is REALLY good - it has pineapple, papaya, mango, strawberries. Makes a nice refreshing orange smoothie with just some OJ added, or add yogurt to make it creamier, or spinach to make a green smoothie

Spinach or kale

Honey for sweetening (my kids so far have refused any smoothie that didn't have a little honey added to make it a bit sweeter - little stinkers).

Frozen bananas, but not too ripe because I don't like that overly ripe banana flavor

Coconut milk

Ice cream (gotta have a treat every now and then!!)

Coffee (again, gotta have a treat every now and then!!)

Canned tomatoes for spaghetti sauce

Sometimes tofu

Carrots - one of the easier veggies to hide, I've found (esp in orange smoothies).

That's all I can think of for now...

OKKiddo
03-13-2013, 01:08 AM
I'm shopping online with my grocery store right now. Thank you!

LD92599
03-13-2013, 07:38 AM
This is great, thanks! Costco roadshow by me starts the 21st!

oneontheway
03-13-2013, 08:36 AM
things we almost always have on hand
-plain whole-milk yogurt
-bananas
-spinach
-oranges
-apples
-soy milk

we also often have carrots, grapes, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, frozen peaches. i bought Chia seeds from trader joe's but have yet to try them.

we get fresh mango, and frozen pineapple and frozen blueberries from Costco. the frozen pineapple bag is HUUGE but we actually went through it all in a just a couple weeks!

Let me know how the chia seeds go... I bought a pack at coscto a few weeks ago but have been hesitant to use them because of making the smoothies too thick.

stinkyfeet
03-13-2013, 10:02 AM
We typically buy: pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, oranges, honey, coconut cream, chia seeds (I grind the whole ones in the vitamix to make a powder). We usually get most of our fruit from Costco.

cilantromapuche
03-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Let me know how the chia seeds go... I bought a pack at coscto a few weeks ago but have been hesitant to use them because of making the smoothies too thick.

You can always add a tiny amount of chia and then increase it if you think. You can also grind them up so you can't tell they are there.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-13-2013, 01:28 PM

this is what i'm scared of too. also i've heard that if you don't wash out the container right away the seeds will really stick and it will be hard to clean. though i should just try it and see!

OKKiddo
03-13-2013, 01:54 PM
I have milk, and fruits (blackberries, strawberries, bananas, apples, and a few oranges left), some walnuts, and peanut butter or nutella. Is there anything I can actually make with that while I'm waiting on my grocery delivery? I can gua-ran-tee you that my children will be begging for a snack or food before the dinner is ready tonight (6pm) and it would be lovely to 1)play with my vitamix and 2)give them something healthy to tide them over around 3:30-4pm.

ETA: Just found half and half that was hiding behind the gallon of milk.

Aishe
03-13-2013, 03:08 PM
I have milk, and fruits (blackberries, strawberries, bananas, apples, and a few oranges left), some walnuts, and peanut butter or nutella. Is there anything I can actually make with that while I'm waiting on my grocery delivery? I can gua-ran-tee you that my children will be begging for a snack or food before the dinner is ready tonight (6pm) and it would be lovely to 1)play with my vitamix and 2)give them something healthy to tide them over around 3:30-4pm.

ETA: Just found half and half that was hiding behind the gallon of milk.

You've got everything you need for a smoothie. Just use any combination of that fruit and the milk. Walnuts are also good, although they do add some texture that may or may not be appealing. Some people really like nut butters in their smoothies, but it's never been a hit here. YMMV, of course. I would freeze the bananas now to help give the smoothies a creamier texture.

kristenk
03-13-2013, 03:25 PM
One of DD's favorite fruit smoothies is 1 orange, half of a banana, half of a mango, half of an apple, 1 cup of ice. I usually add a little water because I use frozen bananas and mango.

I've substituted peaches and pineapple (at different times) for the mango. I'm sure you could substitute another fruit!

OKKiddo
03-13-2013, 03:59 PM
You've got everything you need for a smoothie. Just use any combination of that fruit and the milk. Walnuts are also good, although they do add some texture that may or may not be appealing. Some people really like nut butters in their smoothies, but it's never been a hit here. YMMV, of course. I would freeze the bananas now to help give the smoothies a creamier texture.

Can you advise on the quantities and ratios? I'll be making enough for 3 kiddos and the bananas and strawberries and blackberries are all in the freezer now.

One of DD's favorite fruit smoothies is 1 orange, half of a banana, half of a mango, half of an apple, 1 cup of ice. I usually add a little water because I use frozen bananas and mango.

I've substituted peaches and pineapple (at different times) for the mango. I'm sure you could substitute another fruit!

No peaches, pineapple, or mangoes. :( I think I'll make a trip to Costco this weekend and get a big frozen bag of the tropical mix that was mentioned.

twowhat?
03-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Can you advise on the quantities and ratios? I'll be making enough for 3 kiddos and the bananas and strawberries and blackberries are all in the freezer now.

How much frozen fruit do you have? I typically just dump the frozen fruit into the Vitamix to fill about 1/3-1/2 of the container (Which makes enough for 4 people), then I add maybe half a cup of liquid, then I blend, using the tamper if necessary, and then add more liquid to get it to the consistency I like. You can always add liquid. You cannot take away liquid:) You can just do a simple creamy banana berry smoothie, using milk as the liquid, and maybe a touch of half-and-half:) Depending on how much banana you have, you may want to add some honey or other sweetener.

Aishe
03-13-2013, 04:42 PM
How much frozen fruit do you have? I typically just dump the frozen fruit into the Vitamix to fill about 1/3-1/2 of the container (Which makes enough for 4 people), then I add maybe half a cup of liquid, then I blend, using the tamper if necessary, and then add more liquid to get it to the consistency I like. You can always add liquid. You cannot take away liquid:) You can just do a simple creamy banana berry smoothie, using milk as the liquid, and maybe a touch of half-and-half:) Depending on how much banana you have, you may want to add some honey or other sweetener.

:yeahthat: Except that I never add sweetener. I do, however, sometimes juice oranges and freeze the juice in ice cube trays. Then I just throw in a couple cubes. Dates are also nice for a natural sweetener. (I realize these are really not that much better than honey or a refined sugar. It's just a little something I do to make myself feel better.) Really, though, my kids generally do not demand extra sweetener so I usually skip it altogether.

Quantities just take a little experimenting. You'll figure out how your family likes their smoothies pretty quickly.

OKKiddo
03-13-2013, 05:01 PM
:yeahthat: Except that I never add sweetener. I do, however, sometimes juice oranges and freeze the juice in ice cube trays. Then I just throw in a couple cubes. Dates are also nice for a natural sweetener. (I realize these are really not that much better than honey or a refined sugar. It's just a little something I do to make myself feel better.) Really, though, my kids generally do not demand extra sweetener so I usually skip it altogether.

Quantities just take a little experimenting. You'll figure out how your family likes their smoothies pretty quickly.

I have some black grapes I could toss in to sweeten it....

Aishe
03-13-2013, 05:07 PM
I have some black grapes I could toss in to sweeten it....

Oh, yeah, throw in some grapes! I bet that would be good.

OKKiddo
03-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Ok, so I used an apple this morning (cored, and halved) along with 1 1/2 cups of small black grapes, 1 banana (peeled and halved), 1/2 cup of plain yogurt, and 1/2 cup of ice (because none of the fruits were frozen). It tasted fantastic but I noticed while it was blending that there were small pieces and that the top layer didn't look as smooth as the bottom layer no matter how much tamping I did. Then while pouring it, there was a whole half of an apple that wasn't blended (not a mark on it). I just re-ran it right then and it blended it but I'm a little disappointed. Also, I'm worried that it's because mine is a refurb from Vitamix's website. :( I guess I'll be giving them a call today.

On a happier note, the kids asked for more at 10:30 (breakfast was at 8:15) and I made another smoothie with 2 tablespoons Nutella, 1 banana, 1/2 of an apple, and 1/2 cup of ice. It was soooo delicious!!!

urquie
03-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Ok, so I used an apple this morning (cored, and halved) along with 1 1/2 cups of small black grapes, 1 banana (peeled and halved), 1/2 cup of plain yogurt, and 1/2 cup of ice (because none of the fruits were frozen). It tasted fantastic but I noticed while it was blending that there were small pieces and that the top layer didn't look as smooth as the bottom layer no matter how much tamping I did. Then while pouring it, there was a whole half of an apple that wasn't blended (not a mark on it). I just re-ran it right then and it blended it but I'm a little disappointed. Also, I'm worried that it's because mine is a refurb from Vitamix's website. :( I guess I'll be giving them a call today.

Sounds like you need more liquid and blend time. I add water or coconut water, while blending, until all the ingredients blend easily, on there own, with no tamping. You might prefer milk or coconut milk, but it sounds like you definitely need more liquid.

My biggest problem, in the beginning, was not enough liquid and blend time. By the time I'm done, there is not a speck of spinach or chia seed (I've never had a seed left over, stuck inside the vitamix).

OKKiddo
03-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Sounds like you need more liquid and blend time. I add water or coconut water, while blending, until all the ingredients blend easily, on there own, with no tamping. You might prefer milk or coconut milk, but it sounds like you definitely need more liquid.

My biggest problem, in the beginning, was not enough liquid and blend time. By the time I'm done, there is not a speck of spinach or chia seed (I've never had a seed left over, stuck inside the vitamix).

I will definitely have to try that. But also while making the ice cream last night the motor shut off and I was well under the 4 cups line and the bananas weren't fully frozen. :( I guess I could try using more liquid with that too but then I think I'd have more of a smoothie and less of the ice cream that I wanted. I know there's a trick to ice cream, all the websites have said that, I just really hope that what's broken is me and not the refurbed blender.

jgenie
03-14-2013, 02:53 PM
How do you store / prep veggies for smoothies? Do you rinse the entire package of spinach, carrots, etc. when you bring them home or do you rinse each item just before you use them? TIA

OKKiddo
03-14-2013, 03:51 PM
How do you store / prep veggies for smoothies? Do you rinse the entire package of spinach, carrots, etc. when you bring them home or do you rinse each item just before you use them? TIA

I hate to admit this, but I'm a non-washer on leafy things. With veggies, etc, I scrub the skin but I don't peel.

rin
03-14-2013, 04:10 PM
I will definitely have to try that. But also while making the ice cream last night the motor shut off and I was well under the 4 cups line and the bananas weren't fully frozen. :( I guess I could try using more liquid with that too but then I think I'd have more of a smoothie and less of the ice cream that I wanted. I know there's a trick to ice cream, all the websites have said that, I just really hope that what's broken is me and not the refurbed blender.

If it *is* broken, it's covered by a 5 year warranty, so you should be fine. I'd definitely call CS!

Aishe
03-14-2013, 04:16 PM

That doesn't sound right to me. When I make banana ice cream I use six fully frozen bananas and only about 1/3 cup cream. It's never shut off when I do that. I would definitely call CS. I'm sorry your Vitamix experience is not off to a good start!

Fortunata
03-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Ok, so I used an apple this morning (cored, and halved) along with 1 1/2 cups of small black grapes, 1 banana (peeled and halved), 1/2 cup of plain yogurt, and 1/2 cup of ice (because none of the fruits were frozen). It tasted fantastic but I noticed while it was blending that there were small pieces and that the top layer didn't look as smooth as the bottom layer no matter how much tamping I did. Then while pouring it, there was a whole half of an apple that wasn't blended (not a mark on it).

It's generally best to quarter apples. Also, the order you add things can make a bit of a difference. You want the wet and soft things at the bottom to get the blending vortex going (so in that blend it would be yogurt and grapes at the bottom).

also while making the ice cream last night the motor shut off and I was well under the 4 cups line and the bananas weren't fully frozen. :( I guess I could try using more liquid with that too but then I think I'd have more of a smoothie and less of the ice cream that I wanted.

Were you blending it at max speed? With a lot of the machines the motor cooling is inefficient at the variable speeds, so for thick mixtures you don't want to leave it on the variable speed for longer than a few seconds.

OKKiddo
03-14-2013, 09:02 PM
That doesn't sound right to me. When I make banana ice cream I use six fully frozen bananas and only about 1/3 cup cream. It's never shut off when I do that. I would definitely call CS. I'm sorry your Vitamix experience is not off to a good start!

Yep, it didn't sound right to me either. :(

It's generally best to quarter apples. Also, the order you add things can make a bit of a difference. You want the wet and soft things at the bottom to get the blending vortex going (so in that blend it would be yogurt and grapes at the bottom).

I had the grapes at the very bottom and then strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and finally the apple. It sucked down half of one apple and smoothed it to bits but not the other half (you could see it swirling around at the bottom by the blades by never getting blended).

Were you blending it at max speed? With a lot of the machines the motor cooling is inefficient at the variable speeds, so for thick mixtures you don't want to leave it on the variable speed for longer than a few seconds.

I had the grapes at the very bottom and then strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and finally the apple. It sucked down half of one apple and smoothed it to bits but not the other half (you could see it swirling around at the bottom by the blades by never getting blended).

I also have the 6300 with the presets (got it so it would be easier for husband, grandparents, and babysitter, as well as for my older DS in a few years since this thing has such a long warranty/life). So, with the frozen desserts settings it starts off low and then gradually goes to the high gear and back down all on it's own.

Also, I tried to make the Peach Sorbet from the recipe book tonight--exactly as it said with the exact ingredients. It overheated and shut off before it even did half the peaches. It took several cycles and I went ahead and added 1/2 cup half and half and then gave in and added 1/2 cup of ice after it overheated a second time. It became a peach smoothie instead (very yummy one though).

AnnieW625
03-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the review OKKiddo. Let us know how the CS call goes. I hope the others who bought the refurbs. will chime in as well.

SASM
03-15-2013, 05:58 AM
A lot of the above plus canned coconut milk (Golden Star from Walmart...full fat and no additives). We do not consume dairy or soy.

mom2akm
03-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the review OKKiddo. Let us know how the CS call goes. I hope the others who bought the refurbs. will chime in as well.

I'm sorry to hear what happens to OKKiddo. I bought the Refurbished 7500 and have been using it for a few days now. I am very happy with it, no problem at all. Vitamix 7500 is a very powerful machine, I hardly need to use the tamper for my smoothies.