PDA

View Full Version : How to use iPhone Internationally?

mmsmom
03-12-2013, 11:02 PM
I've been googling but getting conflicting information. Can anyone tell me the best way to use my iPhone with AT&T in France? From what I've read it seems putting the phone in airplane mode and using WiFi in a cafe or something is the best bet and I could use the Skype App that way to call home? I'm okay w/ no texting, just want to be accessible and be able to call home a couple times.

Or do I just add an international plan for a month & is it possible to do that?

BayGirl2
03-13-2013, 12:48 AM
I just add an international plan for a month and use it that way. Back when rates were higher and roaming was an issue I'd get a local SIM card or rent a local phone. Honestly now I think its just easier to get international roaming. Actually I think I add the $5 roaming option and then pay by the minute. Its not cheap, so I don't talk for hours, but its way easier to be accessible that way.

lele
03-13-2013, 03:53 AM
I have an unlocked iphone 4 that I use in Europe. I have a pay as you go plan, but that is mostly for calling here. To call back to the US, lots of people use skype, magic jack app, or facetime. If you are somewhere with free wifi, you might not even need any kind of plan if you only use the internet.

Twoboos
03-13-2013, 08:01 AM
I did an intl plan for a month (Verizon). Used face time with the wifi.

Just make sure you put it into your calendar to cancel the intl plan!

psimpson3-5
03-13-2013, 09:56 AM
PPs are correct. We have AT&T. We picked up the international plan for just 1 month. Don't forget to cancel it. Calls will still be pretty expensive, so try to avoid making them if at all possible. Stick to skype and email to set up times to get on skype.

You are right. Leave the phone in Airplane mode or turn off auto find for wifi, unless you are somewhere that has free wifi.

Another suggestion if you haven't already - call your CC companies for the CCs you plan to use to let them know you'll be out of the country.