PDA

View Full Version : used vs. new WWYD?

megs4413
03-13-2013, 12:33 PM
My SIL is very thrifty and expecting her first child (my first niece! YAY) and she recently asked me about registry essentials. I gave her my rundown, though I am a little out of date since I haven't had a baby in 6 years. She brought up the possibility of purchasing as much as she could used, but I sort of cautioned her that some things were better new. But, now I'm wondering what *has* to be new? I remember with DD we used almost all hand-me-down stuff. with DS, i think we bought all new stuff. What did you have that was used or what would you look for used? What were you adamant on buying new?

For instance, she's going to cloth diaper, though I didn't. So, it seems like used cloth diapers would be fine, though I'm really not sure! How would *you* advise her? TIA!

rin
03-13-2013, 12:35 PM
We got everything used except for carseats. I think we bought new for a few things that we couldn't find used (a peapod comes to mind) but we totally would have gone with used if we could have. I would only do a used carseat from someone I knew well.

TwoBees
03-13-2013, 12:35 PM
I'd be adamant about her buying a new car seat. You never know if a secondhand car seat was in a crash, or how it was treated, etc. Much safer to buy new!

Mommy_Mea
03-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Carseats and cribs should be new. Unless you are VERY confident of their source. For example, we have passed an infant seat around our family. We know the history and we trust our children's life with each other and that each person would do the right thing with the car seat to maintain its integrity (no accidents, washing the straps, etc).

The concern with used cribs is that they might be missing pieces that could result in an unsafe assembly. We used my sister's crib, but we knew we had all the pieces.

BayGirl2
03-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Yep, carseats, cribs, and bedding should be new, for safety reasons. The only exception would be if it came from someone you know well and really trust AND you verify for yourself it meets all current safety requirements.

I bought used cloth diapers and have sold some. Its actually a great way to try things and save money, and make back some of your investment when you are done.

Melaine
03-13-2013, 12:50 PM
I agree on carseats being new, but a used crib is find with me (with a new mattress though). I think it is easy enough to see if all the pieces are sound on a crib. Buying a pile of crib pieces at a yard sale might be a big mistake however!

Used cloth diapers can be great because they are "prepped" and you can save a ton of money.

Basically, (with the exception of carseats) if it can be washed, I am willing to buy it used.

AngB
03-13-2013, 01:03 PM
I definitely would do a new car seat.

Personally, I advise a new mattress as well. There are some rumblings online about used mattresses and SIDS. I don't know how much, if any, credibility those "theories" have, but I was not comfortable with a used mattress. Used bedding is fine with me as that can be easily washed.

Only because of all the most recent recalls on cribs would I recommend a new crib. In some cases, people want crazy prices for their used cribs anyway. (Someone was trying to sell theirs with a mattress for the same price I could have bought the crib new from BRU with a coupon.)

BRU has their "trade in event" every winter and fall. I asked for used old car seats on CL and free cycle and traded in 3 or 4 that people didn't want. (Some of the car seats were super old so it was a good thing for that too.) We used a 25% off coupon to get our PnP, infant car seat, stroller, etc. (You don't have to trade a car seat for a car seat, you can bring in a car seat and get a coupon to use in any of the categories which include cribs, high chairs, PnPs, strollers, etc.

I think used cloth diapers are fine.

ETA: I think swings new are a good idea as well (good registry item) only because most people keep them and use them through multiple kids. So if you buy one on CL, it may have already been used for 3 kids, you may not get much more use out of the motor.

MamaMolly
03-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Carseat and crib mattress new, everything else second hand. At least, that's pretty much how we did it with our DDs ;).

Used cloth dipes are a HUGE market. Is she familiar with the Diaperswappers website? I think almost every single one of Dolly's dipes was second hand. A few were even neew with tags but bought on resale. I saved a TON.

Used I bought or was given 2nd hand:
Swing
Glider and Ottoman
Crib Mobile
Clothes, clothes, clothes
Toys (indoor and outdoor)
Diapers
Bottles (yes, bottles. The Playtex drop in nursers. I bought two huge bags of the 'bottles', rings and lids at a thrift store for $4 and only had to purchase bags and nipples new.)
Training potty
Baby Gym
Sling carrier (New Native)
etc etc.etc.

ang79
03-13-2013, 03:05 PM
With my first DD, I bought tons of used stuff or was handed down things from friends. I insisted on getting a new carseat and a new crib and mattress, but all of these were shower gifts or purchased with gift money from family. If she is having a shower, maybe asking for large combined gifts or gift cards to her store of choice to purchase these things new would work. My changing pad and boppy were also new, but only because I found them on clearance. I got new bedding (sheets) and burp clothes as shower gifts, as well as some new clothes. All other gear (stroller, pack-n-play, bassinet, high chair, travel swing, bouncher, bumbo, play gyms, toys, clothing, blankets, baby carriers,etc.) I purchased at yard sales or on Craigslist and cleaned well before use. For gear I also checked the CPSC website for recalls, which was good, as some of the items did have recalls, but all had easy fixes w/ free parts that the company provided when I contacted them.