PDA

View Full Version : running gear for a 5k...help a newbie

cchavez
03-13-2013, 12:56 PM
I am running my first 5k in less than a month. I love running with my nike legend capris or running capris....but it will be that TOM so I won't feel comfortable wearing them during that time. I have regular workout capris from kohls or should I wear running shorts over my nike capris?? Also I only run on the treadmill so I will be running outside for the next few weeks....I have plenty of wicking tops and pullovers. I got a nike visor but my tory burch sunglasses won't work so will any cheap pair of sport sunglasses do? or just my visor? What about water? I plan on using my ipod and my husband will be holding on to the rest of my stuff as he cheers me on....so what else am I missing?

Thanks!

firstbaby
03-16-2013, 11:17 AM
I would try a few outfits during outdoor runs in the next couple of weeks to decide what is comfortable. I've found the TOM only foils me during half marathons so you should be fine for the 5k. Just play around with different combos and do what works best for you. Good luck!

SnuggleBuggles
03-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Not sure how TOM affects outfit choice. But, maybe it's a commando thing? Undies should do the trick- no one will care about a VPL. Again, I'm probably missing something obvious. When it's hot, I wear running shorts. When it's cold, I wear wicking running capris or pants. Top, I almost always wear a wicking tank top and then a wicking long sleeved top if it is cold over top. If it is over 45, I usually wind up in just the tank at some point with the long sleeved top tied at the waist.Anything over 55, I don't bother with the long sleeves. I don't wear hats...and just wear my regular sunglasses.

If it is really hot, I carry my own water. Otherwise I rely on water stations. The Amphipod bottles are a really nice size to hold. REI has lots of good water bottle options. I personally really like my Camelbak backpack water thing but don't use it for a 5K. I love having my hands free.

I remember my first 5k. It was the first time I had run outside. It was really different. It didn't help that it was like 80 and I was used to a/c and a fan blowing on me. Plus, there were tons of hills including a 3/4 mile medium steep hill. It was a lot of fun being with the crowd though. Find someone going about your speed and use them to keep pace with. It helps. Have fun!

cchavez
03-18-2013, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback....I appreciate it!!! There will be one water station along the way so I don't have to worrry about water. I have done a few outdoor runs and it is VERY different from the treadmill!