PDA

View Full Version : Fun St. Patty's Day foods

acmom
03-13-2013, 08:17 PM
We are having another family over on Sunday pm and I realized it is St. Patty's day! I usually do corned beef and cabbage w/ potatoes (we are Irish!), but not sure that is the best food for company, which includes kids under 5.

Any fun ideas for foods that would be St. patty's day themed but a little less risky to serve to kids and company?

YouAreTheFocus
03-13-2013, 08:24 PM
I think you should go with the usual! Little ones should be fine with corned beef & boiled potatoes. I have very fond childhood memories of going out for "boiled dinner" on St. P's Day :)

ETA: Oops just re-read...you didn't say boiled potatoes...do you make the dish where they're kind of mashed/mixed together? My friend's mom used to make that and she would hide coins in it (wrapped in foil). But perhaps that was for a different holiday!

sarahsthreads
03-13-2013, 09:02 PM
We're having lots of families over on St. Patty's Day, including kids under 5. We make a corned beef brisket. But we don't boil it, we slow-cook it covered in Guinness & brown sugar for hours at 250. DH arranges chunks of cabbage around the edges. We bake potatoes wrapped in foil alongside at the same low temperature (it takes at least two hours, depending on how big they are), and then do a baked potato bar - with green topping options, naturally: chives, blanched broccoli florets, fresh parsley, diced green peppers. (Well, we put shredded cheese and sour cream out too, which are not green.)

All the kids LOVE the baked potato bar, and most of them like the corned beef too! None of them are willing to touch the cabbage, however. ;)

Sarah :)

ourbabygirl
03-13-2013, 09:07 PM
That sounds really fun! At least the sour cream and cheddar cheese complete the colors of the Irish flag! :)