PDA

View Full Version : crafty mom help needed

diamond
03-13-2013, 09:40 PM
dd 4 yo cake is the first square one, with ballet shoes. I want to make a tutu skirt like this one i saw on pinterest. looks like i could make it and simple but not really sure how, can anyone guide me? our cake will be a 1/4 sheet which is 9/13 inch cake. How much tulle do i need to purchase? ty

ABO Mama
03-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Cute idea!

You will need to run a stitch to gather the tulle. I would think that you would need at least double the outside perimeter, probably more. I would go to the fabric store and scrunch up the fabric, to see how it looked, and go from there.

Blue Hydrangea
03-13-2013, 10:37 PM
Looks like there are a few layers of gathered tulle in around that cake. I think the easiest way to do it would be to get a roll of tulle, about 6 inches wide, like what they use for wedding decorations. You can sometimes find it where they sell wedding decorations, or if you have a Hobby Lobby near you, rolls of it are sold near the fabric dept.

Like PP poster said, you'll need to gather it to get that ruffled effect, start with double the circumference of the cake and see if that's how full you want it. Then make a few layers to stack on top of each other.

nfowife
03-13-2013, 10:39 PM
I think I would just cut strips of tulle and staple them gathered to a piece of cardboard and sit the cake on top. You could also hot glue if you don't want to staple.

mum-to-be
03-13-2013, 11:32 PM
I thought you could just double over strips of tulle and loop them over elastic, but if you want the ribbon, that might not work. I'm not sure that you'd want a full child size tutu though. It looks like a length equal to the diameter of the cake, then doubled over, would be perfect. http://www.ehow.com/how_2072479_nosew-tutu.html

mum-to-be
03-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Please let us know how it turns out!

jam224
03-14-2013, 01:42 AM
Found a tutorial! HTH! http://www.imperfectlypossible.com/2012/09/cake-stand-tutu.html

diamond
03-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Thank you for all inputs, will let you know what I do and how it turns out. Ty