PDA

View Full Version : Shettles?

candybomiller
03-13-2013, 10:41 PM
I searched and this question hasn't been asked since 2011. Did you use the Shettles Method when trying to conceive? Was it effective? Were you trying for a boy or a girl?

TIA. :)

scrooks
03-13-2013, 10:45 PM
We used it to conceive ds and yes we were trying for a boy. We didn't follow all the details to a tee.... Just the timing the intercourse part!

Eta: now that I really think about it. We weren't using Shettles for our soon to come ds2 but I was using clomid under the care of a reproductive endocrinologist. They monitored and triggered my ovulation and we were sent home to DTD the next 3 days.... The 3 days closest too and around my ovulation. This too is consistent with shettles.

TxCat
03-13-2013, 10:46 PM
One of my best friends used Shettles for her current pregnancy - they had two girls and her DH was really hoping for a boy. It worked for them. She's about 33 weeks now, and definitely expecting a boy.

scrooks
03-13-2013, 10:55 PM
And fwiw according to the book it's more difficult to try for a girl...

BigDog
03-13-2013, 11:10 PM
We tried Shettles for a girl. And now we're having our third boy. :rolleye0014:

Beth24
03-14-2013, 01:20 AM

I had the opposite experience. Used the timing part to try for a girl (intercourse pre ovulation) after having 2 boys...and I had a girl.

drako
03-14-2013, 09:47 AM
We tried it for a boy and it didn't work! But we are blessed with two lovely healthy little girls!

daisymommy
03-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Yes, it worked for us the two times we tried it, and with child #1 when we were just trying to get pregnant in general, I predicted it would be a boy based on all the factors. Pretty accurate I'd say!

Sent from my iPad

smilequeen
03-14-2013, 10:53 AM

I promise you that's not something to be upset about. Having 3 boys is really wonderful. Boys are awesome.

I didn't try to sway anything at all. I was in the whoever is supposed to join our family will boat. I know 2 people who tried it and swear it works, but I think you start with a 50/50 chance anyway. I think it's probably crap. As long as you know you'll be happy with whoever you're supposed to have with you...go for it. If not, don't have another baby.

njk07
03-14-2013, 11:13 AM
My MIL had 5 grandsons and was longing for a girl. Our eldest is a boy so I thought it wouldn't hurt to try shettles. Girl or boy that would be it for us. So I swear by shettles because we did have a girl :)

Myira
03-14-2013, 11:14 AM
I tried it with DS for a boy, just timed the DTD part as close to ovulation as possible. It actually would have been that particular weekend anyway since DH traveled for work at the time on weekdays! I did have my boy so I am in the worked category, but whats not to say it wasn't shettles and just nature taking it usual course.

MSWR0319
03-14-2013, 12:31 PM
DS1 weren't trying but based on ovulation and when we DTD, it was consistent with a boy. With DS2, I decided to try Shettles after we tried for a month with no timing. I got pregnant on the first try and again based on dates, Shettles worked for a boy.

Liziz
03-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Huh, I've never heard of this before...but based on my quick googling, given when/how our LO was conceived, we should have had a DS....and we have a lovely DD!