PDA

View Full Version : Bugaboo Bee bad idea at WDW?

sads
03-13-2013, 11:32 PM
My dd2 is almost 3 (dd1 is 5), and the only stroller I have left is a Bugaboo Bee. I don't think dd1 will be willing to sit in a stroller, so I don't feel the need to have a double stroller on hand. Would it be a bad idea to take an expensive stroller to WDW? I'll have a raincover for it, just in case, but should I realistically be worried about theft? TIA!

mjs64
03-14-2013, 01:01 AM
I'd probably rent one at the park in that case. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) they are basically BJCMs. Then you wouldn't have to worry about it.

klwa
03-14-2013, 06:54 AM
I'd probably rent one at the park in that case. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) they are basically BJCMs. Then you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Unless something has changed, I think the strollers you can rent directly from Disney aren't that comfy. You can rent from sompanies in the area, though that are better. http://www.mouseplanet.com/akrock/ak010620.htm

swissair81
03-14-2013, 08:04 AM
We brought our Bee+ to Disney. It was fine. We rented an extra Disney stroller for my son who decided he was tired. They are made of hard plastic, but the steering isn't too bad, and it has shade and a place for drinks.

mom2binsd
03-14-2013, 09:45 AM
I bet your older one will end up sitting at some point, at 5 kids still get tired after a long day.

I know some folks bring a lock for their stroller, others don't.

I think it's really your call.

belovedgandp
03-14-2013, 12:03 PM
I would not worry about theft. There are so many strollers it is insanity. Bring something to mark it and call it good.

The cast members regularly rearrange the strollers to get the maximum number in a small area. You kind of lose awareness when you are in the middle of it, but the number of people cycling through any given area of Disney (even on a not crowded day) is mind blowing. In the 30 minutes you are gone doing a ride an entire wave of people will come and go in an area.

My 4 1/2 YO is a trooper and he still used the stroller at Disney. He could have done one or two days, but it is a lot of walking.

edurnemk
03-14-2013, 12:25 PM
You might be surprised and your DD1 may want to sit in a stroller at times. They get really tired, it's a lot of walking for a kid. We went when DS was just 4, and we used the stroller a TON, even though he didn't ride at home anymore. He also napped in it because at the end of the day he was exhausted (he dropped his nap before 3 yo). So it might be a good idea to rent a double (I wouldn't rent at the parks, but from one of the companies that rent nicer strollers like a BJCM double and drop them off at the hotel).

That said, I'd be nervous leaving my Bee+ parked around the parks. Our travel stroller was damaged by the airline on the flight to Orlando, but it was a $150 stroller (I could've rented a BJCM for the week for less).

acmom
03-14-2013, 02:04 PM
We just came back from WDW. Our kids are 4.5 and 2.5. We rented a city mini double and so glad we did. Neither kid rides in a stroller much at home and Didn't need a stroller for travel at all, but really needed it in the parks. Both kids rode a decent amount just bc it is a lot of walking in a crowded place and we were often needing to go somewhere quickly (to get to a FP ride or something like that). Both kids walked when they wanted to, but we couldn't have done it as easily or as happily w/o the stroller. I would rent a double from an outside place like Baby Wheels Orlando. Then you have a seat if they want it and don't have to worry about theft or damage - they offer insurance and give you a parent console, rain cover and cooler for free.

GoBlue
03-18-2013, 12:29 AM
I also recommend renting at double....Disney is BIG. We have used orlandostrollerrentals.com twice now and have been very happy (BJCM doubles both times....even tried the GT this year!). They drop off and pick up at the hotel, and provide a rain cover and insurance. Highly recommended.

123LuckyMom
03-18-2013, 08:34 AM
I just came back from WDW, and I think you will want to reconsider renting a double. I'd be very surprised if your 5 year old doesn't want to ride sometimes, and you do not want to be carrying a tired or sleeping 5 year old!!! If you go through applescooter.com, they currently have a deal where the rental is free. You only have to pay $5/day for the insurance. Other companies give you accessories that this company doesn't, but the stroller is practically free.

As for worrying about theft, I wouldn't. Just make sure you put something on your stroller to make it distinctive so you can find it when you come off a ride. If you're really worried about theft, take a wheel with you onto the ride. Every instance of stroller theft I've heard of has been some parent "borrowing" the stroller to use for their tired kid, not a thief stealing the stroller for resale. I kid you not! I've heard stories of people seeing other people using their strollers later on in the park and recovering them easily. I haven't seen any reports of outright theft, though I'm sure it has happened.

AnnieW625
03-18-2013, 03:23 PM
We haven't been to DL since I sold my double a year ago when my DD1 was almost 6 and I can tell you that we used the double most times we went and even though DL is a much smaller park we were glad most of the time to have it. We saw lots of 5 yr. old+ kids riding in strollers there.

I would probably bring some sort of stroller or at least look at renting one from one of the local companies. I can't really comment about having a double at WDW, but it might be something to look into, and even if he does walk you'll always have an extra seat for stuff.