PDA

View Full Version : Gel nail polish? Any BTDT?

liz
03-14-2013, 09:57 AM
I would like to get a manicure and pedicure for an upcoming vacation. I see that gel nail polish is the hot thing right now, mostly because the polish lasts for so long. I am contemplating getting it.

Anyone BTDT? Pros or cons? Can I remove the polish myself or do I have to go back to the salon?

sidmand
03-14-2013, 10:08 AM
You do really have to go back to the salon or you will damage your nails (I know from experience!). You are supposed to be able to wrap them in cotton balls soaked in remover and aluminum foil for 10 min.

Don't do a gel pedicure (most people don't offer or suggest you don't) because its not worth it. The gel manicure did look nice and last...I've since tried an at-home one without great results!

JElaineB
03-14-2013, 10:21 AM
I've looked into it a bit for my own vacation, and if I was going to get one I would go with shellac (CND Shellac (http://www.cnd.com/)) rather than gel. Sounds like it lasts a long time but is much gentler on your nails and easier to remove. However I've run out of time and I'm just going to a regular mani and pedi tonight!

psimpson3-5
03-14-2013, 10:36 AM
I really like the gel manicures. Mostly bc I ALWAYS mess up my manicure immediately after getting it. This is never a problem with the gel polish. I typically only get one if there's a special even I'm attending or a vacation.

I agree with PPs who stated that a gel pedicure is a waste. If you do get a gel manicure, it is very hard to remove. You must soak your fingertips in acetone or have them wrapped using tin foil and cotton balls soaked in acetone in order to remove the polish. This can cause serious drying and some damage to your nails. Even the nail salon staff suggest to give your nails a "break" after getting a gel manicure. They told me to just get a regular manicure.

Zukini
03-14-2013, 11:51 AM
I've never tried the gel pedicure. But I've done the gel manicure for when I travel and want/need my nails to look perfect for more than the 4/5 days I get from a regular mani. It lasts about 2 weeks for darker, brighter colors and can go to 3 weeks if you are using a nude/sheer polish since you cannot see the new nail growth as prominently. I insist on the OPI gel system because I like to match fingers to toes and can then use my favorite OPI shades that I bring along to the salon (for my toes).

The removal process sucks in that a) you probably shouldn't do it yourself, b) salons will charge a nominal $5 to remove if you are just running in to have it removed vs. having another nail service and c) its alot of acetone remover and it feels sorta funny (almost nails on chalkboard weird for me) to have it removed. So this is what usually gives me pause before doing gel nails. I've never done acrylics or any of those other "enhanced" nail services so this is about as far as I will go. Plus the UV? light on hands just cannot be good for skin long-term.

SnuggleBuggles
03-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Risk of skin cancer from the UV light. I wouldn't do it. eta- saw that on Live with Kelly and Michael.

JBaxter
03-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Risk of skin cancer from the UV light. I wouldn't do it.

I just read that! If you do them they recommend you apply sunblock first.

ray7694
03-14-2013, 12:11 PM
I have done the Shellac and really liked them. I was even able to paint over them after 2 weeks when they grew out and got another week out of them. After 3 weeks I could just peel the polish right off.

hillview
03-14-2013, 12:53 PM
I've done it 2x for special events. They last 2 weeks and your nails look bad after the polish comes off.

lcarlson90
03-14-2013, 01:25 PM
I do gel manicures every 2 weeks. I love them because they last for a good 2 weeks but they do damage your nails. I have taken the gel off at home once and it wasn't that bad. I just put polish-remover soaked cotton balls on my nails and wrapped them in foil and let them sit for like 20 minutes.

waitingforgrace
03-14-2013, 03:03 PM
I do gel polish at home with an LED light. I like it. It's definitely not as easy to remove, you must soak in acetone for 10 minutes but then it comes right off. The acetone is drying but I've never noticed any damage to my nails. I do use moisturizing cuticle oil right after removal and a nice hand cream.

It's absolutely worth it to me for the 12 days of nice nails. With a regular manicure I was lucky if it lasted 2-3days.