PDA

View Full Version : Washable dog bed?

buttercup
03-14-2013, 10:56 AM
a dog bed that is completely washable--Does this exist? Probably not, huh?

Mikey0709
03-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Do you mean inside and out? Alot of inserts may have cedar in them, so they can't be washed.

We had a VERY large dog 150 pounds. For the first few years bought him MANY beds which did not last.

THEN we bought a good LL Bean bed with washable cover. I think i washed the cover 40+ times and years later it held up VERY well. Every so often i also took the polyfill insert to the laundrymat and stuck it in the machine - but it took a LONG time to properly dry in the sun.

SO it is possible - - but not cheap! I think i still ended up replacing the insert every 2-3 years.

arivecchi
03-14-2013, 11:40 AM
We have two large llbean fleece top beds for our great dane that I wash (cover and insert) on delicate and dry on delicate. They come out as good as new!

o_mom
03-14-2013, 12:07 PM
When our dog got older and accidents became an issue, we put a waterproof crib mattress pad between the insert and the cover. Ours was just a rectangular memory foam bed from Sam's Club and the cover held up for two years with frequent washing.

ray7694
03-14-2013, 12:09 PM
We have a stuffed bed and I wash it.

BigDog
03-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Not sure if you have a big or small dog but we love this dog bed. It's 100% machine washable, insides and all. Pricey but worth every penny.
http://www.mammothoutlet.com/

Kindra178
03-14-2013, 12:15 PM
We have two large llbean fleece top beds for our great dane that I wash (cover and insert) on delicate and dry on delicate. They come out as good as new!

This has been my sister's experience as well. Her current dog, 12.5 years old, is using the same dog bed of his older "sister," who died before he was even adopted (I walked past it the other day and laughed when I saw her old dog's name monogrammed on it). That dog bed is probably 15 years old. I believe she has alternated between two covers. Her dog has a ton of accidents these days, so I know the cover and bed get washed frequently. It still looks great.

hellokitty
03-14-2013, 12:15 PM
When our dog got older and accidents became an issue, we put a waterproof crib mattress pad between the insert and the cover. Ours was just a rectangular memory foam bed from Sam's Club and the cover held up for two years with frequent washing.

That's a really good idea! I have small dogs, so I've always just thrown any pet beds we have had into the wash. I don't buy the ones that aren't washable. I also have put towels and blankets inside of zippered pillow cases before and made my own pet bed, so it is all washable. However, that wouldn't work for larger dogs. I think I am going to try the crib protector idea. My dorkie loves our temperpaedic bed, so I have been wanting to buy/make him one, but the washability has been somthing to make me pause, until I saw this idea.

hillview
03-14-2013, 12:51 PM
we have a orvis dog blanket (very thick) and it is 100% washable. It is in our dog's crate.