PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had an "eye job"?

janine
03-14-2013, 11:10 AM
I know we usually talk about tummy tucks around here (and I need that too) but my eyes are just looking so tired lately - they always have but worse now with kids and age. I have baggy plus dark circles (lovely!) that are pretty hard to ignore - I do use concealer, etc., but that can only do so much. All eye creams are bogus, I'm pretty sure (I've tried them all over the years/decades).

Has anyone had an eye lift or whatever is the possible solution? I don't know how serious I am about this so thought I'd at least ask in case anyone's done it.

urbanmommy
03-14-2013, 11:57 AM
I haven't but my mom just had one and it looks amazing. Her eyelids had gotten very droopy with age and she had bags under her eyes. It took care of both of those but just looks natural. She's 68, fyi

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

sidmand
03-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Both my aunt and coworker had it done in their early 60s. Both were covered under medical reasons (my aunt was prepared to exaggerate because she really wanted it done!) but it was causing more peripheral loss and compensation than either realized.

I don't think the recovery was too bad and both love it.

minnie-zb
03-14-2013, 12:14 PM
I haven't, but I would get one. I fully plan on aging gracefully with some help. :hysterical:

Have you tried the Clinique dark undereye cream? It took at least two months before I noticed a difference, but it has helped me.

cvanbrunt
03-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Not yet. My sister and I both have heavy eyelids and she had hers lifted. It's not something you notice right away but it really opened up her eyes. I'm sure I'll eventually do it. Regarding the dark circles, you might try a filler like Juvederm or Restylane. My sister was a nurse in a cosmetic dermatologist's office. I was her practice patient when she was learning how to do fillers. The woman who was the other practice patient wanted her dark circles and "loose skin" under her eyes addressed. The plastic surgeon injected Juvederm and it really looked good!

bostonsmama
03-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Blepharoplasty, where they cut out excessive eyelid skin that droops over the eye, won't solve dark undereye circles. However, my aunt and her boyfriend (both in their late 50s) had it done, and with his procedure (done at a respected office in Atlanta), his eye healed a little tight and even when he closed his eyes, there wasn't enough skin to close them all the way. He wound up with horrible chronic eye irritation and dryness. He has to put protective eye ointment on every night when he sleeps b/c they don't close all the way. It's getting better as the skin thins out again with age, but it was a rough go in the beginning. Risks, ya know?

I believe I was just reading in a magazine where they interviewed top dermatologists, and everyone said there is no cure cream for dark circles. They are genetic and only get worse when rubbed or tugged on. Most creams act on reflecting light on the surface of the skin. If you have broken blood vessels or something, they can inject things that plump the surface of the skin away from the dark patches, but it has to be done right or you have puffy eyes.

I just use concealer. Is that the worst thing in the world?

janine
03-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Blepharoplasty, where they cut out excessive eyelid skin that droops over the eye, won't solve dark undereye circles. However, my aunt and her boyfriend (both in their late 50s) had it done, and with his procedure (done at a respected office in Atlanta), his eye healed a little tight and even when he closed his eyes, there wasn't enough skin to close them all the way. He wound up with horrible chronic eye irritation and dryness. He has to put protective eye ointment on every night when he sleeps b/c they don't close all the way. It's getting better as the skin thins out again with age, but it was a rough go in the beginning. Risks, ya know?

I believe I was just reading in a magazine where they interviewed top dermatologists, and everyone said there is no cure cream for dark circles. They are genetic and only get worse when rubbed or tugged on. Most creams act on reflecting light on the surface of the skin. If you have broken blood vessels or something, they can inject things that plump the surface of the skin away from the dark patches, but it has to be done right or you have puffy eyes.

I just use concealer. Is that the worst thing in the world?

Well I have baggy/puffy skin (under eyes) and dark circles. Of course concealer isn't the worst thing-I have a close relationship with it seeing how my dark circles are herditary so been around forever.

I believe Blepharoplasty would help the baggy undereye area, and I would most likely always need concealer, but right now concealer actually draws attention to the bags! Yes risks - but that's how it is with everything and I would find a good dr. with references..there have to be quite a few in the NYC area.. but I'm still fearful of course. But when I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror more than 1ft away..all I see are bags.

willow33
03-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Not yet. My sister and I both have heavy eyelids and she had hers lifted. It's not something you notice right away but it really opened up her eyes. I'm sure I'll eventually do it. Regarding the dark circles, you might try a filler like Juvederm or Restylane. My sister was a nurse in a cosmetic dermatologist's office. I was her practice patient when she was learning how to do fillers. The woman who was the other practice patient wanted her dark circles and "loose skin" under her eyes addressed. The plastic surgeon injected Juvederm and it really looked good!

I had horrible dark circles under my eyes and saw a cosmetic dermatologist. She injected Restylane under my eyes well over a year and a half ago and the results are still amazing. It really was amazing to see my before and after photos. The procedure is simple and slightly painful, but definitely tolerable. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I know there is also a laser procedure that can tighten the skin around your eyes. A cosmetic dermatologist would do that as well.

janine
03-14-2013, 02:30 PM
I had horrible dark circles under my eyes and saw a cosmetic dermatologist. She injected Restylane under my eyes well over a year and a half ago and the results are still amazing. It really was amazing to see my before and after photos. The procedure is simple and slightly painful, but definitely tolerable. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I know there is also a laser procedure that can tighten the skin around your eyes. A cosmetic dermatologist would do that as well.

Interesting! I always figured wouldn't be an option for me since I seem to have excess fat under the skin (puffy under eye bags), but maybe I can at least ask...

StantonHyde
03-15-2013, 12:27 AM
I just went in for a consult. The idea is to lift the eye brows, remove the excess lid skin, remove the fat bags under my eyes, cut the eye brow furrow muscles. And then put some filler in my mouth smile lines and in my cheek area. And maybe do a mini mid-face lift. It was $20+ THOUSAND dollars. Holy carp. Um, not this year. They did say they would give me a hefty professional courtesy discount but still. I have to go over it with DH and figure what it would be if I just did the eye work. sigh....I have bad genetics when it comes to skin.

AJP
03-15-2013, 09:16 AM

I had the same done! It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. Mine are in need of a touch up, but I'm putting off spending the $. Mine lasted over a year and looked great.

Sillygirl
03-15-2013, 12:29 PM
I was starting to see some sag and crow's feet. My derm recommended the Clarisonic Opal and I spring for it because Sephora has a 90 day return policy. I've been using it for two weeks and I am really noticing a difference in skin texture and tightness. I don't like the serum it comes with, it stings, so I use Shiseido Super Correcting serum. I plan to keep using it for another month before deciding if I want to return it or not, but so far, I like it. Not a magic cure but something to consider.