PDA

View Full Version : Potty training help please

mackmama
03-14-2013, 12:55 PM
We are heading toward potty-training, so I'm trying to understand exactly what we'll need. It sounds like many have used www.3daypottytraining.com, so I just downloaded the ebook. DC is 23mo. A few questions:

1) How do you know when DC is ready to be potty trained? Every once in a while DC announces a "poo-poo" but that's it. Should we be doing something to help prepare DC?
2) DC is still in a crib. Can DC be potty-trained while still in crib?
3) Should we use a potty insert or standalone potty? Which do you recommend?

Any other products, tips, books are greatly appreciated. This is brand new territory for us!

BabyBearsMom
03-14-2013, 01:00 PM
We are a bad example because DD1 informed me one day that she was done wearing diapers and that was it. But I think they should show interested in the potty and awareness of when they are going (so saying that they have gone poop). My DD1 also would go off in a corner when she was pooping right before she trained.

I think a crib isn't an issue. DD1 is in a regular bed but still won't get out of bed at night to go to the bathroom by herself.

I would get both and see which your child prefers. We started in a potty chair but moved to an insert as DD1 got more comfortable. The seat was nice at first because she could use her legs when she was pooping. But in time she preferred the big seat. Now she usually just balances herself on the regular toilet seat.

Good luck.

arivecchi
03-14-2013, 02:16 PM
We waited till our kids were clearly ready which happened around 3 years of age. We started taking them to the bathroom frequently so they could get the hang of it.

My youngest was still in a crib but it did not matter as we used diapers at night until they were dry in them for a while.

I would buy both. DS1 preferred the potty while DS2 preferred the inserts.

citymama
03-14-2013, 02:26 PM
DD2 is potty training so this is timely.

There is a window of opportunity between 22-28 months where many kids are receptive to PTing. DD1 PTed at 24 months and with DD2, we missed the window and she was more resistant. She is now 34 months and pretty close to PTed. (By which I mean daytime trained, she still wears a diaper for naps and at night). IMO the most important thing with PTing is consistency of doing it - even if you put them on the potty just once a day, doing so daily and at the same time is key. And once you have them in underwear during the day, don't go back to diapers.

She is in a crib and DD1 was as well. You just take them out of it in the morning and sit them on the potty.

I found the stand-alone potty invaluable because little legs can't climb on to the big potty quickly enough - and easy access is absolutely key to PTing. In fact, we have some extra $5 pottys from IKEA as well as the Bjorn potty (which I highly recommend), so she can easily get to one when she needs to go. We also have an insert but it's rarely used - at this point, she just sits on the regular toilet without an insert or uses her Bjorn potty chair.

We liked having training pants - thicker and more absorbent than underwear for newly PTed kids.

LizLemon
03-15-2013, 12:51 AM
DD2 is potty training so this is timely.

There is a window of opportunity between 22-28 months where many kids are receptive to PTing. DD1 PTed at 24 months and with DD2, we missed the window and she was more resistant. She is now 34 months and pretty close to PTed. (By which I mean daytime trained, she still wears a diaper for naps and at night). IMO the most important thing with PTing is consistency of doing it - even if you put them on the potty just once a day, doing so daily and at the same time is key. And once you have them in underwear during the day, don't go back to diapers.

She is in a crib and DD1 was as well. You just take them out of it in the morning and sit them on the potty.

I found the stand-alone potty invaluable because little legs can't climb on to the big potty quickly enough - and easy access is absolutely key to PTing. In fact, we have some extra $5 pottys from IKEA as well as the Bjorn potty (which I highly recommend), so she can easily get to one when she needs to go. We also have an insert but it's rarely used - at this point, she just sits on the regular toilet without an insert or uses her Bjorn potty chair.

We liked having training pants - thicker and more absorbent than underwear for newly PTed kids.

Which Bjorn potty do you like, the smaller one or the bigger one that is more like a chair? Thanks!

jam224
03-15-2013, 01:13 AM
Which Bjorn potty do you like, the smaller one or the bigger one that is more like a chair? Thanks!

I like the bigger one: http://www.amazon.com/BabyBjörn-055115US-BABYBJORN-Potty-Chair/dp/B000056J7L/ Highly recommend!! We also like the Bjorn trainer seat. I bought both online from Kohl's during one of their 30% off & Kohl's cash promos.

citymama
03-15-2013, 01:56 AM
Definitely the full sized Bjorn chair with the removable insert.