PDA

View Full Version : Short blurb on benefits of smoothies

stinkyfeet
03-14-2013, 03:04 PM
I was reading People online (i know, a reliable resource!) and ran into this article about smoothies. I just wanted to share since so many people are asking about the vitamix.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20681352,00.html

minnie-zb
03-14-2013, 03:10 PM
That's a pretty timely article! I will have to say I'm starting to feel the need for a vitamix blender. The peer pressure is wearing me down. :p

Philly Mom
03-14-2013, 03:21 PM
That's a pretty timely article! I will have to say I'm starting to feel the need for a vitamix blender. The peer pressure is wearing me down. :p

Me too! I just need to convince DH.

elbenn
03-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Does anyone juice? I have a juicer but haven't used it in years. I just saw a documentary on netflix that discussed how beneficial juicing is (it's a nutrition documentary--not the documentary that is all about juicing).

squimp
03-14-2013, 03:34 PM
I love smoothies too, but you don't *need* a vitamix. I use this little guy to make DD and I a smoothie in the morning. I add protein powder and flax seeds for extra goodness. It's so easy to fill up on carbs for breakfast that this is a good counterbalance for us.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-2ABC-Mini-Prep-Processor-Brushed/dp/B0000645YM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1363289455&sr=8-8&keywords=cuisinart+food+processor

I do have the cute little C&B glasses in the article pic though. And I prefer a fat straw.

jammytoast
03-14-2013, 03:45 PM
I love smoothies too, but you don't *need* a vitamix. I use this little guy to make DD and I a smoothie in the morning. I add protein powder and flax seeds for extra goodness. It's so easy to fill up on carbs for breakfast that this is a good counterbalance for us.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-2ABC-Mini-Prep-Processor-Brushed/dp/B0000645YM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1363289455&sr=8-8&keywords=cuisinart+food+processor

THANK YOU for sharing this! I have one of these and have been too chicken to try it with a smoothie, fearing that if you dont have a Vitamix, its going to suck.

Sweetum
03-14-2013, 03:52 PM
I think the biggest advantage of a vitamix is the min (or non) prep work. That makes it easier to do it. Additionally, it has such high power that you don't have to keep moving things around manually to make sure that things get blended well - with such power, they just will. However, I am happy with doing it all in my magic bullet since I don't mind the shake-shake once in a while and don't mind the prep work. And at this time prefer it since I only make one smoothie at a time, and the jar size is just right. But then, I don't make smoothies every morning. Maybe if I started to, I might start to lust after one :tongue5:

citymama
03-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Smoothies are great - just don't add extra sugar, sweeteners or honey. IME, some of the people I know who have had the hardest time losing weight are folks who drink Jamba Juice type smoothies for lunch - filled with sweet syrupy stuff that packs on the calories. I am still a fan of eating my fruit and veggies and staying low on the food chain diet-wise. If your smoothies are all fresh ingredients with no sweeteners or syrups added, then I can see these benefits occurring.

Something about me is very wary of the Vitamix madness. I think it's a concern about whether the healthy eating will stick, long term - eating healthy should be about buying high quality fresh ingredients and not expensive gadgets! (Ducking now, don't flame me!)

waitingforgrace
03-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Does anyone juice? I have a juicer but haven't used it in years. I just saw a documentary on netflix that discussed how beneficial juicing is (it's a nutrition documentary--not the documentary that is all about juicing).

Yes we juice daily at our house. I prefer it to smoothies.

cilantromapuche
03-14-2013, 04:04 PM
I am still waiting for the Vitamix to arrive. The reason that I purchased it is because DS is so texture sensitive. I need something that will make soups and smoothies super smooth. We have a juicer but the kids both have issues with constipation and need fiber or we are in trouble.
Also, DH normally does breakfast and they are not healthy. This will make it easy for me to make a smoothie and have protein, etc. instead of pancakes everyday. Also, great afternoon snack before dinner. DS is at the stage where he is eating A LOT and I am hoping this helps us to eat helathier.

AnnieW625
03-14-2013, 04:18 PM
THANK YOU for sharing this! I have one of these and have been too chicken to try it with a smoothie, fearing that if you dont have a Vitamix, its going to suck.

My whole issue with my blender right now is that I like cold smoothies and for convenience we use mainly frozen fruit, and regular ice cubes (I don't have a water/ice in door fridge to crush the ice for me) so my blender gets really hot and it has a hard time with anything remotely frozen so much so that the blender ends up stinking. My Waring Bar blender makes great smoothies and I love that it doesn't need to be taken apart for cleaning (and that it has a glass jar), but seriously I get kind of nervous when it begins to stink while simply making smoothies for the family. I don't want it exploding on my counter tops (esp. with a glass jar!). I have been thinking about replacing it for sometime with something more powerful so getting something with a more powerful motor just makes sense to me (and it just happens to be VitaMix time at Costco, and then there was that QVC deal a few weeks ago as well, and the refurbed VitaMix deal as well).