PDA

View Full Version : non-meat, non-dairy snack

Sweetum
03-14-2013, 03:54 PM
DS was really low on energy when I picked him up the last couple of times at school. I think he needs a good protein to fill him up and last him till lunch time. I only provided crackers (cats from TJ) and applesauce. He hates all meat and we recently got him off dairy. So, I would love to hear suggestions for a protein filled snack. Additional points if it can be hidden :)

mikala
03-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Can he eat nuts? Larabars are a favorite at our house.

Momit
03-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Would he do hummus with veggies or crackers to dip?

crayonblue
03-14-2013, 04:13 PM
We are vegan now and do lots of hummus and carrots/bell peppers/crackers and Larabars. LOVE Larabars. Lots of nuts too.

Sweetum
03-14-2013, 04:24 PM
are larabars high in protein?
no, he doesn't like hummus :(
yes, he can eat nuts but doesn't always directly - either butter mixed in a smoothie or butter mixed in his oatmeal, but never as a dip. the concept of dipping hasn't taken off :(

roseyloxs
03-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Hard boiled eggs or maybe some shelled edamame. My picky eater eats truckloads of those two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

urquie
03-14-2013, 05:00 PM
DD has tj's "no salt added peanut butter pretzels" for snack everyday, with a little bit of tj's fruit bar "ends and pieces" added in. Remnisent of pb&j. :-)

Occasionally she'll have roasted almonds and freeze dried strawberries.

BunnyBee
03-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Smoothie with non-dairy protein source (soy yogurt, protein powder, etc.). You can sneak nut butter in there too--PB and banana smoothies for example.

ETA: missed that it needed to packed for school. You could freeze soy/coconut yogurt and it would be cold for snack.

sariana
03-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Does he like beans? My DD used to eat black beans and kidney beans straight, with her fingers. Black beans also can be "mashed" to make a spread, rolled up in a tortilla for example.

daisymommy
03-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Protein granola bars?
I know they are not the most healthy thing out there, but Nature Valley has some with 10 grams of protein, and they are very tasty.
Maybe TJs has something comparable.

Sent from my iPad

fauve01
03-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Does he like beans? My DD used to eat black beans and kidney beans straight, with her fingers. Black beans also can be "mashed" to make a spread, rolled up in a tortilla for example.

:yeahthat: I was going to suggest beans too. My dd does not like hummus either, but will eat almost the whole can of chickpeas if i let her. she likes almost all beans.

you can roast the chickpeas or edamame too.

OP, what about baked oatmeal with an egg and milk substitute? My dd gets baked oatmeal squares in her lunch all the time because it fills her up and she's not hungry right after like when she eats crackers. I use this recipe (using the applesauce in place of butter and i use almond milk):

Baked Oatmeal
3 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
¼ - ½ cup flax meal (optional)
1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
½ cup melted butter (or ½ c. nonsweetened applesauce)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup dried berries (or ¼ c. mini chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients: oats, flax, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients: milk, eggs, melted butter or applesauce, and vanilla extract. Fold wet into dry ingredients. Stir in dried berries or chocolate chips. Spread into a 9x13-inch oiled baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes.

Adapted from:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-oatmeal-ii/detail.aspx

amldaley
03-14-2013, 08:15 PM
ProBar. I do half a ProBar cut up in to bite size peices. They are nut and fruit based protein bars that are very healthy and come in amazing flavors, most of which are kid friendly. The chocolate ones may be too dark for him but DD1 loves the PB&J bar, the SuperSlam, & the Lemon Cranberry one.