PDA

View Full Version : new 46" TV vs. Vitamix

AnnieW625
03-14-2013, 05:04 PM
We have a 10 yr. old Toshiba TV, and it is our only tv, and will be our only tv for the near future. We want a Vitamix as well. DH said we would get the tv for my birthday in June.

Which would you buy first?

cilantromapuche
03-14-2013, 05:09 PM
We read more and watch TV less, so Vitamix would be my winner. We still have our 10 year old TV. I think it all depends on how you would use either item.

chottumommy
03-14-2013, 05:16 PM
I would go for Vitamix, but then again we don't own a TV. No time for one and I prefer reading or watching it streaming on my 27" Mac.

ETA - Since you're in LA you could get a Vitamix second hand on CL pretty easily I would assume. Or buy a cheaper blender and see if you use it as often as you thought you would. If so consider a Vitamix for maybe Christmas or next year.

shawnandangel
03-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Ok why not just get a regular juicer/blender for much less money (like we did) and ask for that for Mother's Day and get a TV for your birthday.

I got a Ninja for much less money and couldn't be happier with it.

eagle
03-14-2013, 05:17 PM
it really depends on how much tv you watch. is the tv really important? if tv is something you watch everyday and if you need more than one tv, you need the extra tv.

perhaps you are considering cutting down your tv. then this would be a perfect excuse to wean yourself and hobble along with just one. a new vitamix would certainly ease the pain.

our family does fine with our one 2005 tv. we dont have cable and reception sucks so it was easy to limit consumption just to nights and dvds. but i did grow up watching tons of it and know how it is to live in a household with two + tvs. some families need it, and if its a necessity, then by all means, get the new one and save the vitamix purchase for christmas! :D

MSWR0319
03-14-2013, 05:22 PM
DH just got a Ninja for Christmas and he LOVES it. Maybe you could get something like that and a new TV?

AnnieW625
03-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Oops kind of forgot to mention that the new tv would end up being our only tv, we do not have enough space in our rooms to continue to use the current tv as it is a big analog tube tv. The current tv works okay (except it is starting to get these lines at the top of it and a month or so ago they were gone within a few minutes, now they take much longer to go away, if they go away at all) and we do love tv, and movies. We have cable (plus Amazon Prime--till July, and Netflix) and sadly sometimes due to work schedules and being tired we don't go to movies or out to dinner nearly as much as we should so the $150 a month we pay for cable/phone/internet actually saves us money.

We have a Waring Bar Blender, and it works okay, but like I said in the other posts about the Vitamix it doesn't handle full ice cubes and frozen fruit well at all. It's great for a little ice and fresh cut fruit, salsa, or milk shakes, and it does make a good smoothie you just have to pray it doesn't overheat because of all of the frozen fruit. I am also really trying to lose a bunch of weight and to get my kids to eat more veggies so if a blender can help veggies not taste like veggies then I am all for it, plus from what I can tell from the demo I don't have to add oodles of liquid like milk, juice or ice cream to make it liquify easier. Plus I hate bananas (and sometimes get leg cramps for lack of potassium) and the smoothies I tried at Costco had fresh bananas in them and I could not taste the banana at all.

Ninja owners, which ones do you have? I played around with the components of one at Target yesterday and it felt cheap.

Mermanaid
03-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Buy the tv. Then go and buy the vitamix on QVC using their easy pay feature.

KLD313
03-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Don't you love tv? OMG get the tv. I love tv and that's what I would do. In fact I need a new because mine had little blue dots and streaks all over it.

daniele_ut
03-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Ninja owners, which ones do you have? I played around with the components of one at Target yesterday and it felt cheap.

We just got the Ninja Mega Kitchen System and it makes great smoothies. We use it with full ice cubes and frozen fruit all the time. I mostly use the single serve cups and the work REALLY well. The big pitcher sometimes still leaves a few tiny flakes of spinach but the single serve cups obliterate everything. If you buy it directly from Ninja online it has a 5 year warranty and it's $160. Elsewhere the warranty is 1 year. I don't forsee myself ever needing the heating feature of the Vitamix so this blender is just fine for us. The Vitamix was out of our budget anyway.

I saw this one at Bed Bath and Beyond the other day and it has the same single serving cups with a slightly less powerful motor and it's $140.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=40176550&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CNi10r-r_bUCFaUWMgodSFQAoA

BayGirl2
03-14-2013, 07:35 PM
TV
I don't even watch that much TV and ours is only 7 years old and an LCD and I still want a new one.

There are plenty of blenders that will crush ice and bananas for cheaper than a Vitamix. Our simple one does it. I'm not a fan of regular liquification of food anyway. An occasional smoothie or juice is ok but I prefer to eat whole fruit and make the body do the work on digesting the fiber.

hellokitty
03-14-2013, 08:07 PM
If you are getting rid of your current tv, I agree with the suggestions to get the tv, and then try something like the ninja that is a quarter of the price of the vitamix. I like our vitamix, but I kind of lucked into it (my mom let me borrow hers indefinitely). If I had to buy one on my own, I'd get the ninja.

queenmama
03-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Our tv is pre-digital and our digital converter doesn't even work, so I am dying for a new one! I say tv, for sure! We do watch a ton of tv, though (and only have one). We're too tired for much else, and I watch Netflix while I'm nursing so we would get more bang for our buck out of a new tv.

I wouldn't mind a blender that does ice but like PPs have said, you can get that without spending >$400.

Lara

mackmama
03-14-2013, 08:21 PM
TV without question. I have a Vitamix and could have managed just fine with a much less expensive blender.