PDA

View Full Version : new car...reliability vs. looks

lcarlson90
03-14-2013, 05:26 PM
I am trading in my 2003 Honda Pilot for a mid-size sedan and I am having a hard time making a decision about which car to choose. The problem is that all of the cars I like aren't known for great reliability but I really like the way they look. I think reliability is an important factor but I just don't like the Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. I would love a reliable car but I also want something fun that I love since I am going to have it for 10 years.

When you choose a car what factors are most important to you?

FWIW the cars on my list are the Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata, VW CC and the BMW 328I. If you have any opinions about anything of these choices that would be great too!

AnnieW625
03-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Of the cars that you listed I would go with the base model 328I. If I didn't do as much driving as I do (I drive 300 miles a week most weeks) I would have gotten one in a heartbeat. DH's aunt has a 2003 base model engine coupe (she does have leather, which is often added on in many models, even ones that have the base engine) and she loves it and has had no problems with it at all, but when she was working she only drove about 15-20 miles a day, she is now retired. Only downside is it requires premium fuel, but if you don't need to be filling up weekly then that may not be a priority, being in a fun to drive car would be for me.

The Ford Fusion is a completely new US body style, but the underpinnings and the chassis of the car have been used in Europe as the Ford Mondeo for several years, and it is one of the most popular vehicles sold there. Everyone loves it. Ford is spending lots of money on their Eco Boost engines as well so if you like the way the car feels and how it drives I would look at that one, just be aware that if you do drive a lot the Eco Boost engines require mid grade or premium fuel. I did one of those car tests for Ford last year for the Explorer Eco Boost engines. It was a nice car to drive and it felt really well made.

I don't know much about the Sonata, but the people I know who have them like them.

The only reason I bought a VW was because it has a diesel engine and a manual transmission. I think when I PM'd you before I had mentioned that we have friends who have a 03 TDI Jetta, an 01 Jetta auto (base model), and 05 or so base model auto Jetta and none of them have had many issues with their cars. I don't know if I would buy a gas model VW, but their diesel is proven in Europe and the Passat is now US made and the quality control and reviews have been excellent. If I did buy a gas model VW it would probably be a Passat. My car is the sturdiest non luxury sedan I have ever driven. Quality and sturdiness I believe it is right up there with BMW, Mercedes, and Volvo.

The Accord didn't do much for me either, but the reliability of a Honda is always going to be there (although DH will tell you he has never really warmed up to our Pilot, and much preferred the 96 Accord coupe we had prior) and I actually like the style of the Camry better, but the crash test ratings on the newer Camrys is not so good. The Accord did much better. If I wanted a larger really nice sedan with all leather and something that is beyond reliable I probably would have gone with a pre owned Lexus ES or GS sedan. The new Toyota Avalon is actually really nice looking so I might look at one of those too, it finally no longer looks like a grandma car.

elektra
03-14-2013, 05:51 PM
I have only purchased two vehicles in my lifetime but I feel like cars have come a long way in design, quality and selection and it's just just about Camrys and Accords if you want a quality sedan.
I have ridden in newer Sonatas, a CC and a 328i and they all are nice cars. I would probably get a sporty BMW if it was in the budget! Hyundais seem like a good balance of practicality, value and style.

khm
03-14-2013, 05:53 PM
My mom just got a three year old Lexus ES350, screaming deal. Its got every bell and whistle, great reliability ratings, very pretty car.

Nooknookmom
03-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Had a Fusion for 2 years, but it was the Mercury Milan (same car but a merc) - price was right, gas mileage was right and I am a "reliability" person so I see no need to up a car payment just to have a Beemer. That is how my brain works though. My friend has a Fusion now and loves it.

I am not a sedan gal though and prefer a truck / small suv.

SnuggleBuggles
03-14-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm all about reliability and think things like Civics are a-ok. :)

hellokitty
03-14-2013, 06:14 PM
We are going through a similar dilemma. We may be replacing dh's boy toy Subaru wrx ( that doesn't fit 3 carseats) with a mid-size sedan. I think we are leaning toward a Subaru legacy right now, since we kind of need the awd in our region, but it is kind of a boring looking car. I've asked dh to consider the passat, but he is not a vw fan, since we've known ppl to have had bad reliability with vw in the past. I'm also interested in a pre-owned Lexus. I think he'd be open to that. He still wants something that is practical, yet not totally boring and not too basic. The ford fusions have really caught my eye too. In fact fords in general seemed to be so much better styled these days, I'd actually consider one. Just a few yrs ago, I considered most fords ugly looking. Dh really likes that they have finally stopped dumbing down the American fords and are utilizing their European versions more for the US market.

elektra
03-14-2013, 06:33 PM
My mom just got a three year old Lexus ES350, screaming deal. Its got every bell and whistle, great reliability ratings, very pretty car.

I might look at a Lexus as well.

codex57
03-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Very happy with our ES. It's just a fancy Camry, but it's puuuurrrrrttttyyyyyy! So pretty in fact that Hyundai clearly ripped off the look for their Sonata. Which my dad almost bought. Back seat cushion isn't too comfortable though on the Hyundai. Other than that, I think Hyundai/Kia is kinda at the point the Japanese were back in the early 90s. Just starting to break out. Might become dominant in 5-10 years.

VWs have never been known for great reliability with their gas engined cars.

If it was me, I'd get the 328 if you can handle the tight space. They're just awesome and are always on the 10 Best lists for a reason. The engines/transmissions tend to be bulletproof (the electronics can be hit or miss, but that's typical for the Germans) I'm assuming you can if you've got the VW CC listed as an option. The Sonata (and Lexus) are midsized cars while the others you listed are compacts. Well, I think the Fusion technically might be a midsize but I think it's on the smaller end. If you went Fusion, I'd wait a bit and try and find a used version of the current brand new one. That one they ripped the look straight off of Aston Martin. It's more blatant than Hyundai's rip off of the ES, but Ford used to own Aston so I'm assuming it's all kosher legally.

lcarlson90
03-14-2013, 07:19 PM

I considered the entry-level Lexus as well but other than great reliability the reviews aren't great. I think it's because it's not as sporty (powerful) as other models in it's category.

lcarlson90
03-14-2013, 07:24 PM
If it was me, I'd get the 328 if you can handle the tight space. They're just awesome and are always on the 10 Best lists for a reason. The engines/transmissions tend to be bulletproof (the electronics can be hit or miss, but that's typical for the Germans) I'm assuming you can if you've got the VW CC listed as an option.

I didn't realize the 328 and CC were that much smaller. I do have a Britax frontier and Graco Nautilus I am going to have to put in the back seat so maybe I need to rethink my choices.

elektra
03-14-2013, 07:27 PM
I didn't realize the 328 and CC were that much smaller. I do have a Britax frontier and Graco Nautilus I am going to have to put in the back seat so maybe I need to rethink my choices.

This is where Lexus comes into play- while they may be a bit of a poser in the performance category, they know how to make comfy and well-designed interiors.

o_mom
03-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Dh replaced his Accord with a Hyundai Elantra. We looked at the Sonata (very nice, IMO), but wanted something smaller and more fuel efficient. They have a good reliability history from what we found with a 10 year powertrain warranty. We are not 'luxury' car people, though, so take it with a grain of salt. :)

codex57
03-14-2013, 08:38 PM
I considered the entry-level Lexus as well but other than great reliability the reviews aren't great. I think it's because it's not as sporty (powerful) as other models in it's category.

Yeah, most car reviewers tend to think the sportier the car, the better.

I came from an E46 325Ci coupe with sport package. But, it didn't fit my Graco Snugride. It fits in the same year sedan, but the sport seats on the coupe don't go upright enough by about an inch or two.

At that point, we figured, well, sporty just means bumpy, maybe we should just go with the cushiest model in order to give more comfort to the baby. Plus, we figured we'd be all tired from the baby and would like a quiet, cushy ride too.

Yes, it drives more like a power boat than a sports car. It doesn't turn on a dime like the BMW, it feels like it makes a sweeping circle like a boat. But, it is very comfy. We also got the Ultra Luxury package, which has the same semi aniline leather as the much more expensive LS460. It feels so soft. We really miss the fun to drive so its eventual replacement is gonna be sporty, but we most definitely do not regret buying the car at all. Whenever I get that twinge and miss the sportiness, I just tell myself, "fine, just relax then."

Oh, and the CC in particular is gonna be tough on car seats. I think it's only a 4 seater too. It really is more like a coupe than a sedan. Headroom is super tight and the rear seats have bolsters that are kinda aggressive. Check, but depending on the seats, I can see the bolsters making it a problem getting a good fit on the car seats. I've never actually played with one tho, so that's just a guess from eyeballing it. I mean, my Lexus has contoured and bolstered rear seats too, but being a Lexus, it's all squishy so no big deal. German seats tend to be much harder/firmer. I mean, the sports seats on my BMW sometimes felt only slightly better than a wood bench in terms of softness.

maestramommy
03-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Hyundai has supposedly made great strides in the the last few years. Aren't they reliable? I don't know how they compare with Honda or Toyota.

arivecchi
03-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Did you test drive them? I am guessing you will make up your mind if you do! ;)

jerseygirl07067
03-15-2013, 12:04 AM
Good luck with your decision! I went through a bit of this last year as I really wanted a red car. My thoughts were that since I already own a minivan, I wanted something fun!! I was even willing to pay a bit more for a red one, since it was hard color to find, and the dealer was going to have to get it from a different lot. I had it narrowed down to the Toyota Camry and the Rav4. I've always been partial to Hondas and wanted another one, but they did not have the red they like. Theirs was more like maroon...DH said it was the color old people drive, lol....(no offense to anyone here who has a maroon car)

I know you said you didn't want a Camry....I wound up getting a Camry SE. It looks a bit sportier than a regular Camry. One of my homecare patients, a retired cardiothoracic surgeon, said he really liked my car. He asked if it was a Lexus. Obviously he was only looking at the side of it, but the SE upgrade does make it look a Lexus, IMO.

lcarlson90
03-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Hyundai has supposedly made great strides in the the last few years. Aren't they reliable? I don't know how they compare with Honda or Toyota.

My boss has a 2011 Sonata and he has had a lot of problems with it. I know its only one person but it makes you wonder.

MelissaTC
03-15-2013, 07:53 AM
My DH is on his second Hyundai Elantra. His newer car is a 2005. No issues whatsoever.

lcarlson90
03-15-2013, 10:52 AM
My DH is on his second Hyundai Elantra. His newer car is a 2005. No issues whatsoever.

Its strange..my boss has an Elantra and his wife has the sonata. His elantra has had no problems but the sonata has had a lot of issues.

AnnieW625
03-15-2013, 11:04 AM
My boss has a 2011 Sonata and he has had a lot of problems with it. I know its only one person but it makes you wonder.

One of DD1's classmates parents have a 2011 as well and said it has had random problems, mainly electrical and I can't remember exactly what they were, but they were all covered under warranty). 2011 was the first year of the current generation. Always be extra careful with the first year of a complete redesign, but I would be okay with the Ford Fusion because that model has been around in Europe for the last couple of years.

smilequeen
03-15-2013, 01:09 PM
I really like cars. They are a luxury for me and something that I do tend to change out more frequently than most people (roughly every 3 years, I don't think I've ever had a car longer than that...some shorter). I tried to go the practical route and I kept it for 3 years (Toyota Sienna) but I just couldn't do it anymore. I want fun to drive, comfortable, and something that I like to look at. I am sick of DH's car and I almost never drive it ;)

Everyone is going to be different on this and what your priority is for the car. If your priority is reliable for a long time, then you will make different choices than if your priority is what is enjoyable right now YK?

codex57
03-15-2013, 01:44 PM

Great strides, but they haven't caught up yet. They've about matched Chevy and Ford tho. Better in some areas, but the domestics beat them in others. Honda and Toyota, overall, are just more refined. They have hit the point where the basics are mastered and start fine tuning the details. How big the armrest is on the driver's door. The thickness of the padding on it. How does the plastic feel? How far away should buttons be, how hard should they be to push, what do they feel and look like? That kind of stuff.

Hyundai isn't quite there yet, but have made huge, huge strides.

Like the domestics tho, their depreciation is still light years from Honda/Toyota. Much better, but still light years away. To be honest, Honda/Toyota depreciation is absurdly good. Used versions of them aren't worth the premium compared to other makes. But, it is what it is.

AnnieW625
03-15-2013, 02:03 PM
......To be honest, Honda/Toyota depreciation is absurdly good. Used versions of them aren't worth the premium compared to other makes. But, it is what it is.

About 6 months ago when we really started being serious about buying a new car DH and I crunched the numbers and figured out that we could probably still sell our 06 Honda Pilot with 125K mile through Auto Trader for between $10K and $12K and if we were to buy one from a dealer the price would have been closer to $16K (but dealer trade in blue book was about only $8K). We paid $26K for it new with less than 20 miles on it. Not bad for only owning the car for only just about 6 yrs. at the time (we ended up decided to sell the older Corolla instead, but had our dog died before we bought my car we seriously would have considered selling it instead).

Binkandabee
03-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Have you looked at an infiniti sedan? I never had until I was car shopping these past few weeks, but as far as looks go, they're beautiful cars inside and out. Infiniti is the luxury division of Nissan, so certainly reliable.

I ended up not being able to get used to going back to a car, so we bought a 2009 Highlander Limited.

vludmilla
03-15-2013, 02:51 PM
I have a 2013 Honda Accord EX-L and I am absolutely in love with it which I didn't expect to happen when we bought it. I didn't think I liked the looks of it much at first but then I realized I was looking at 2012 or 2011 versions of the Accord. The new 2013 is a much better looking car, I think. It drives very well, has a luxurious interior (heated, premium leather seats, premium sound system, lots of soundproofing, loads of safety features...front collision warning, lane departure warning, back up camera, bluetooth...) I really feel like I am driving a luxury car instead of an Accord. I have had several Acura and Honda cars before and none of them felt as solid and luxurious as this car. I highly recommend it. If you check out the reviews of the 2013 Accord you will find that everyone is giving it huge praise and comparing it to European luxury cars in terms of quality. I really think it was a great value.

mommylamb
03-15-2013, 02:52 PM
I can't speak to the Sonata, but I have two Hyundais-- a Tucson and a Veracruz-- and we've never had problems with them. The Tucson is a 2006 and the Veracruz is a 2011.