PDA

View Full Version : s/o: what is the most money you spent on a kitchen counter top appliance or tool?

AnnieW625
03-14-2013, 08:33 PM
So I am sensing some angst that there is no need to spend $300+ on a Vitamix or any other blender, however then I was reading the responses in my tv vs. vitamix post and I realized that people here have no problems recommending to spend $300-$500 on a Kitchen Aid mixer, $500+ on professional knife sets/Cutco knives (which are really on my wish list), $1000+ on all stainless All Clad pots/pans, $250+ on espresso or other fancy coffee makers and $200+ on toasters ovens without even batting an eye. So what makes the blender that much different?

The most have I ever spent on a counter top kitchen appliance was $235 or so for my Kitchen Aid Artisan mixer in 2006. It was on sale due to a Macy's White sale, then I had an additional 15 or 20% off card holder coupon, and a free shipping coupon. I had a perfectly good $100 Sunbeam Mix Master mixer prior and while I thought it did everything well I couldn't make a batch of sugar cookies with it to save my life. I love sugar cookies and turns out my Kitchen Aid could do the job just as well. I have more than paid for my Kitchen Aid.

Three weeks ago had you told me I was seriously thinking about dropping $400 (including tax;)) on a Vitamix I would have said I was crazy in the head, but now I am thinking if I end up using as much as my mixer even if it is only once a day or once every other day I think it will end up paying for itself in the long run. And I had seen the QVC Vitamix special a few times in the last couple of years as well (I get sucked in by QVC, but never usually order, the last time I ordered something was in 2003, and I returned it) so the interest has been there for a bit.

I have also noticed in the 6+ yrs. I have been here that over the last two it has become much more about finding deals on everything than it was when I was more of an occaisional poster and lurker. I am all about good deals as well, but we keep our stuff forever too so if paying a slightly higher price means longer longevity then I see that as a big plus.

hillview
03-14-2013, 08:41 PM
the vitamix. I've used it maybe 10 times in the last 12 months. I cook about 50% of the time. I mainly have used it for smoothies. It does not sit on my counter (it is in the pantry) so I often forget about it. It is the most $$ countertop appliance we have.

KrisM
03-14-2013, 08:44 PM
It's not on my counter, but my microwave was $230. It's an over the range one. For things you mentioned, I'm sure nothing was more than $150. Pots and pans were about that. Knives were a wedding gift, but $35 from Target. I do have a Kitchenaid mixer and I believe it was $180, but a group of cousins got it for a wedding gift for us.

wendibird22
03-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Definitely my kitchen aid stand mixer that I believe cost DH $350+.

WatchingThemGrow
03-14-2013, 08:48 PM
If I've just ordered the vitamix, does that count? Getting a refurb takes the sting out of it.

Similarly, another high priced kitchen item I got was an Advantium oven. I used that thing to death. We were able to revive it a few times, and the tenants are nursing the broken handle, but MAN, I love/miss that thing. Being able to set our meals cooking and go out in the backyard or to the couch for a nap while it cooks is something I totally miss! Will I buy a new one in our next home? Absolutely. Now, if I were a huge fan of eating out, it would make no sense to buy these pricey kitchen items. Since we really do eat at home most nights, YES, it makes fine sense to spend $426 on a blender. We're trying to get more veggies into DS2, and he sucks smoothies down most of the time, even with our older too-thick, not-pureed-enough blending abilities right now, he's anxious to drink them. It'll make smoothies more pleasant for me to make them, and that's the key.

It's like the poster who said that if you want to start saving money by cleaning your own house, buy cute cleaning supplies you'll want to use. if you want to eat healthier, buy tools that help you move toward that goal.

DietCokeLover
03-14-2013, 09:15 PM
My KitchenAid mixer. I love this thing. I have had it for about 12 years and it is starting to make some strange sounds. I told DH today, that this is the one kitchen appliance I can not live without and will have to buy another when this one dies.

lhafer
03-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Annie - just bite the bullet and get a vitamix from either Costco or bed bath and beyond. They both have fantastic return policies. If you find yourself not in love with the vitamix after a week or two, then just return it. If you end up loving it, then it was money well spent.

You are causing yourself too much stress about something only you and your family can figure out after trying it. The vitamix is perfect for some people, while a much more economical blender is just fine for others. No amount of polls will be able to answer the question is the vitamix the right blender for you.

niccig
03-14-2013, 09:19 PM
My kitchen aid mixer than my cuisnart food processor - both were wedding gifts, so I didn't spend the money myself. I like to have right kitchen tools for the job I'm doing - it makes things so much easier.

That said, I don't have a vitamix. I have the $100 waring blender you suggested. It works fine for the smoothies I make a couple times a week. I have my food processor for other things.

SnuggleBuggles
03-14-2013, 09:23 PM
We own just about everything on the list but we've only bought the microwave and knives (Henkles' Pro S- about $300). Everything else has been gifts, mostly from our wedding. Oh, and I only use a French press so no fancy coffee gadgets.

Kymberley
03-14-2013, 09:23 PM
In regards to the blender, we have an el cheapo Hamilton Beach that's going on 5 years of constant smoothie making. Every day, sometimes 2 or 3 a day. When it dies, I'll find another $20 cheapie. I make mine in a Mason jar on the blender. :D

AnnieW625
03-14-2013, 09:25 PM
Annie - just bite the bullet and get a vitamix from either Costco or bed bath and beyond. They both have fantastic return policies. If you find yourself not in love with the vitamix after a week or two, then just return it. If you end up loving it, then it was money well spent.

You are causing yourself too much stress about something only you and your family can figure out after trying it. The vitamix is perfect for some people, while a much more economical blender is just fine for others. No amount of polls will be able to answer the question is the vitamix the right blender from you.

VitaMix offers free returns on their refurbs. and all other blenders. I will double check BBB and see what models they have as well because I do have a 20% off coupon. I am not stressing about it at all, it is the sociology minor in me who is always wondering about the thought processes of things. I just find it very interesting that certain products get recc'd here that are staples like the KA stand mixers or now the Technovorm or Saeco coffee makers that don't bat an eye, but a similarly priced blender makes us all kind of nutso (IMHO only;)).

edurnemk
03-14-2013, 09:26 PM
I have a lot of high end kitchen stuff but I've never paid full price. The 2 most expensive are the KitchenAid stad mixer, it's the Professional 600, and I paid 299 on an Amazon sale. The other is my Wustoff kinfe set, paid 400, it was originally close to 800 IIRC.

I honestly would not pay more than 150 for a blender. We've been making soups and smoothies in our regular one for years and I see no need for a Vitamix. I'm lucky and my kids eat veggies, so I haven't had the need to hide spinach in their smoothies. ;)

Mali
03-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Most expensive was our OTR microwave/convection oven (ge advantium I think-nursing so can't check) at just over $1000 after tax and delivery/installation. I love that thing to death and use it at least once a day.

After that, the most expensive item we've purchased was my 7.25qt le creuset pot that I got for $250 after tax from LC because they had discontinued the color.

We have several other nice all clad pots, wusthof knives, and my artisan kitchen aid mixer, but those were all gifts from family members (not DH) for various occasions

egoldber
03-14-2013, 09:32 PM
The most expensive thing we have is an espresso maker. It was crazy $$$ and it was dumb IMO but DH really wanted it. Our coffee maker was expensive too, but we use it at least one a day every day. Whereas something like a Vitamix I might use now and then. I prefer to put kitchen $ into things I use every day.

We have other expensive appliances but they were gifts.

ncat
03-14-2013, 09:39 PM
We use our espresso maker every day. It is a super-automatic, meaning that we fill with water and beans, and press a button. It was a splurge, but we bought it with money that was a gift - it seemed wrong to save it.

vludmilla
03-14-2013, 09:43 PM
I have several more expensive countertop appliances but many were either gifts or on sale. We have a Blendtec which was about $400 through Costco. We also have a higher end coffee maker, espresso maker (gift), and a KA mixer (also a gift).

essnce629
03-14-2013, 09:50 PM
I think everything we've bought has been under $100. Our over-the-range microwave was the most expensive purchase, but I didn't vote for that since you said counter appliance. Our toaster oven was the most expensive purchase at around $80 so far! We do have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer but it was an extra one that DBF's grandparents had and didn't want so we got that free. We do have a few expensive knives (Global brand, which are $100+ a knife) but I think DBF's parents bought those for him. Our coffee maker and blender were both under $50. Our pots and pans were bought for me by my grandpa in college when I got my first studio apartment. They aren't all clad or anything mega expensive, but they are stainless steel and still look and work great after 11 years.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Vitamix has been most expensive ($500). We use it at least once, usually twice a day... I've been losing weight drinking the smoothies so i'd say it's worth it for me :)

OUr microwave is built-in and came with the house. We don't drink coffee at all so no coffee or espresso machines for us. I do have a KitchenAid stand mixer that we got as a wedding gift, though I've actually never used it! But that's about it. Knive set we got on the cheap. Nice pots/pans set i got in graduate school for $150 for a large set. We do have a toaster oven we use sometimes but i'm sure it's a cheap one.

crayonblue
03-14-2013, 11:00 PM
We don't own much of anything, I guess! DH does have a $50 coffee maker. He loves it. :)

My grandma had a cast iron skillet and a mixer and that was about it and wowee, the meals she put on the table!

But, I am thinking of buying a food processor...since going vegan, my arm is about to fall off from all the vegetable chopping!!!!

BayGirl2
03-15-2013, 12:54 AM
For me the difference is features - I'll pay more for an item if it has certain features that I want. I bought a better Kitchenaid (at a huge discount and sold DH's lesser model on CL) because I wanted the bigger bowl, stronger motor and stainless look. For pots and pans we buy stuff we like for its purpose - some cheap Lodge cast iron, a few All Clad (DH found at TJ Max) and a mix of other types. I don't want/need the features of a Vitamix- smoothies, juice, and pureed food are just not my thing. (I admit the raving makes me tempted to get it anyway, but not that tempted)

I'm not really sure what the most expensive has been, and our microwave came with the house. But I've been meaning to post a raving review about the ridiculously expensive Toaster Oven DH recently bought us. He did a ton of comparison shopping and picked one that retails for like $300 at W-S. We had some gift cards so paid less. The thing is amazing - its toasts bagels and bread in a totally different way than our old basic one, it has super easy digital controls, lots of features we love. So I chose Toaster Oven in the poll in honor of our silly new splugy toy. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/breville-smart-convection-oven/?pkey=ccountertop-ovens

marymoo86
03-15-2013, 08:17 AM
My most expensive is my KA artisan mixer but between amazon, KA rebates, and mail-in for free attachment it was a smoking deal for a little less than $250. I also have a KA food processor that I was able to get a great deal on as well.

I use both but not a lot or even weekly. I drool at the thought of the things you can do with a Vitamix but not sure if I would derive the value from using it to justify the cost. If I could get one sub $300 it may be worth it but it doesn't look like "deals" are to be had. I almost did jump on the QVC deal which seemed to the best value yet.

maestramommy
03-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Dh bought me a mini food processor for my bday when Arwyn was an infant, to make baby food. He got it new, so that's how I know it's our most expensive item. However, he is cheap so I know he got a deal off amazon, so it was well under $100. He also got me an All-Clad large saute pan with lid and splatter screen for Christmas a couple of years ago, but by combining coupons and a GC it was still around $100.

The appliances I use the most now are my standing mixer and full sized food processor. The standing mixer Dh got from the 2nd hand store at the dump, for $10. The processor I got at Goodwill for $4.99. They are workhorses, esp. the mixer which looks to be about 30 years old. Now they don't have a lot of fancy attachments. In fact the mixer just has the 2 regular paddles. But they have both made just about everything under the sun. I can even grind meat (cept beef) with my food processor, without the grinding attachment. I'm esp. happy about the mixer because only a week before dh came home with it I was contemplating a KA mixer deal on Kohls, which would've gotten it for around $200. I nixed it because I wasn't sure if I would use it enough to justify the cost. I had an electric hand mixer and thought I would make do with that for a while longer and see if it became too painful.

JBaxter
03-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Toss up. I have a 23 yr old kitchenaid mixer I use all the time and a ninja blender and a Keurig. I think all were about the same price all do what I need.

TwinFoxes
03-15-2013, 12:07 PM
For the record, since I was one of those not understanding the seemingly sudden popularity, it wasn't the price that I had a problem with. I just didn't get why this blender was so awesome...mypa made it all come clear when she explained how easy it is to clean. :)

AnnieW625
03-15-2013, 12:22 PM
For the record, since I was one of those not understanding the seemingly sudden popularity, it wasn't the price that I had a problem with. I just didn't get why this blender was so awesome...mypa made it all come clear when she explained how easy it is to clean. :)

And my kids who all of a sudden started being picky about veggies in the last year actually drank the smoothies that they saw (at least DD1) had carrots and spinach in them without blinking twice. I did use our current blender last night and made a smoothie with spinach, milk, yogurt, and fruit and DD1 and I drank some, but it was a tad gritty due to the strawberry seeds. I don't think my blender will do that well with carrots and frozen fruit though.

kwc
03-15-2013, 01:00 PM
I love kitchen stuff. Love it. I am running out of space for my gadgets.

Our KA mixer was a wedding gift 14 years ago, so it might be the most expensive item but we did not purchase it. I use it fairly 2-5 times a month but I love it (less since I'm trying to bake less and not have so many sweets).
The most expensive item I have bought is our Technivorm coffee maker which I bought for DH for Christmas last year. It is used every single day and he loves it. I had to talk him out of packing it to go with us to Tahoe for the weekend last month. Good coffee is probably his major "vice", so in the scheme of things, it has been completely worth it to me. We drink relatively cheap wine but DH has to have his good coffee.

The most expensive small item I have is the Thermapen instant read digital thermometer. Amazing, great for testing meat/ turkey or when I can/ make marmalade, but pricey at $70-90. This was a Christmas present for me.

We're not big smoothie people (one of my kids eats a ton of whole fruit, the other one a lot of veggies) so I'm not really tempted by a Vitamix, but if it was something I'd use often (like the coffeemaker), I would consider it.

crl
03-15-2013, 02:14 PM
My kitchen aid mixer is my priciest countertop appliance. I like it a great deal, but I'd be hard pressed to say it was really worth the relatively high price tag. Maybe that's why I refuse to even consider the expensive blenders.

Catherine

bostonsmama
03-15-2013, 02:20 PM
We have a $700 microwave (over the range) that the prior owner put into the house a year ago. It's total crap and NOT user friendly...the touch screen is fussy and has crapped out on us once.

Our knives have been our 2nd greatest investment (piecemeal--Cutco is clearly not the best knife company in the world--I cook from scratch 2-3 times a day and think they're too heavy, hard to sharpen and awkward in the hand). We have Wusthof & Henckles DH picked up on a trip to Germany, along with some OLD Chicago Cutlery (made in America kind) that are pretty much the best knives in the whole world, and I will cry when we've sharpened every last fleck of steel off of their tangs.

Most of our countertop appliances average $100--coffee maker, toaster oven, Ninja...more for the KA SM (not a lot of use anymore since I'm doing less wheat/baking), more for pots and pans. I just figure with inflation this is the new norm. I usually get far more use out of $100 appliances than the $20 cheapies, but these days that's not even a true statement.

We live in an age of disposible commodities.

Melaine
03-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Our Vitamix is definitely the priciest one. We do have a KA stand mixer that I also love but it was a Christmas gift years ago from family. I am using my grandmother's coffee percolator right now, we have a cheap microwave and a decent toaster oven. I have a cheap rice cooker, a handmedown and very old breadmaker and a super cheap hand mixer I use rarely. I do have three Cutco knives and I think they are great but they were gifts.

I had been wanting a Vitamix for about 9 years and don't regret it at all.

bisous
03-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Probably my Oster blender (now 12 years old) or my recently purchased toaster oven (replaced my toaster that died). Both were $50. I use both frequently.

I don't have a stand mixer. While it would be nice I've lived 12 years without it and cook/bake much more frequently than many people that I know that have them. No doubt they are useful but I function so well without them that I'm hard pressed to spend the money.

I was very impressed with what I saw while I lived in France. The homes I visited had very small kitchens without a lot of the gadgets and appliances that American's consider compulsory, yet the food that came from those kitchens was superior in every way! I have a pet theory that the niceness of the kitchen and the amount of food actually cooked (and its quality) are inversely proportional, lol.

Mommy_Mea
03-15-2013, 02:56 PM
The most *I* have personally spent was $200 for a set of Tramontina SS. MIL gave me the basic Kitchenaid Mixer for a wedding shower gift. I do like having it, but not sure I would have ever spent the money.

Most of we have is not top of the line, mostly somewhere in between. $100 toaster, $80 coffeemaker, $100 knife set... I want stuff to last, but not being a big foodie, I can't see investing that much in my kitchen!