PDA

View Full Version : Those of you travel internationally with infant in lap

fedoragirl
03-14-2013, 09:54 PM
...also known as paying the 10% of fare, what size checked baggage do you carry?
I know it has a 50 lb limit but I never get the correct size. Some agents say it has to be carry on size, some say it's fine if it's 25 inch suitcase, web site says 62 inches (assuming total). Whenever I check bags at the airport, they never measure their size...they always weigh them though.
Has anyone checked in anything other than a carry on size (22 inches) for their infant?
Just curious because I have two differently sized bags and I am debating which one to pack.

dhano923
03-14-2013, 10:47 PM
It depends on the airline and destination.

I would also rethink traveling with an infant in your lap... Turbulence can make it difficult as you cannot have an infant in the bassinet during turbulence. You'll have to hold the baby.

fedoragirl
03-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Thank you but I really asked about the size of the checked baggage for the infant. I was not looking for advice about travelling with infant in lap or not. (Not to be snarky but I really don't want to go down that road.)

Mopey
03-14-2013, 10:53 PM
I would also make sure of the size requirements for the bassinet. Not only did they not have the proper one for my seat on the way over (some plastic little suitcase thing they expected me to put ON THE FLOOR with my daughter in it, behind seats) and then on the way back I found out she was too old/tall for what that airline had. So she was in my lap anyway.

To be honest Mopey's taken 6 international flights in her first year and she is not really a sleep-on-the-plane kind of girl :banghead: Oh well!

ETA: So sorry, I got confused when answering. On both flights she was allowed a checked bag up to 50 lbs. so that's what I did. Since it was always international I checked two big bags (but taking too much clothing, diapers, toys, etc).

edurnemk
03-14-2013, 11:21 PM
Has anyone checked in anything other than a carry on size (22 inches) for their infant?

Yes I have, but I guess it depends on the airline. We always check a regular sized suitcase (no idea about the measurements).

fedoragirl
03-14-2013, 11:35 PM
Yes I have, but I guess it depends on the airline. We always check a regular sized suitcase (no idea about the measurements).

Thank you. I am going to pack a 25 inch suitcase (med.size) and see if they accept it. I have never had them measure a suitcase before so I don't know if this time will be the exception.

edurnemk
03-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Thank you. I am going to pack a 25 inch suitcase (med.size) and see if they accept it. I have never had them measure a suitcase before so I don't know if this time will be the exception.

I've never seen anyone measure a suitcase, just weigh them. Did you check the policies on the airline website?

Zukini
03-15-2013, 01:31 AM
Definitely check the airline website. Print and take it if you feel you are just encroaching the limits and need some documentation to support.

Neatfreak
03-15-2013, 01:58 AM
I would also double-check with the airline just to make sure that your infant has a checked luggage allowance beyond baby gear. With a few of the airlines that my family has flown on, the only bag a lap baby is entitled to is a carry-on size diaper bag!

JdrKuhnert
03-15-2013, 02:43 AM
On my last Delta flight (mid-Feb), they told me my LLBean large duffle was too big. He said I was allowed a bag roughly the size of a carry on. He checked it through for free, but warned me for next time.
Also, the weight limit that I had on Delta for the lap child was not 50lb. It was 25lb (10kg) for the infant. I would check the weight requirement to be sure that your airline allows the full 50lb.
When I flew with United in August, the size of the suitcase did not matter and they allowed the full 50lb.

dhano923
03-15-2013, 03:11 AM
Thank you but I really asked about the size of the checked baggage for the infant.

Many airlines don't allow checked bags for lap babies. You should check with the specific airline you are flying. Each airlines has their own rules for baggage. There's no universal rule.

Swirvin
03-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Definitely check the airline website. Print and take it if you feel you are just encroaching the limits and need some documentation to support.

Don't know how to do the "yeah that" emoticon but definitely print out a copy of your airline's baggage policy as it relates to your trip. I have travelled internationally many times with an infant (I have three kids) and on many occasions the desk crew was not aware of what the policy was.

Hope you have a great trip :)

fedoragirl
03-15-2013, 08:19 AM
Thank you all. I agree that agents don't always know the policy. Last year, I was almost denied a stroller. I was travelling with 2 kids under 2.
We travel mostly with the same airline and they do allow a checked bag for infant to a max. weight of 50 lbs. It's the size of the suitcase that they vary on. I have usually taken a carry on size suitcase but I bought a bigger one (25inch) for DS this time so we would have it for our future transatlantic flights when he's no longer an lap baby. I think it'll depend on the agent who checks us in. Sometimes, they just love to give you a hard time (like the one who refused my double stroller) and sometimes, they are super helpful.

I'll post back once we've arrived and let you know how it went.

Momit
03-15-2013, 08:39 AM
Safe travels! It's so tough to keep track of all the different policies, especially when half the time the people enforcing them don't know what they are!

I hope they give you an extra seat for the baby - we always lucked out that way and had his car seat with us as carry-on just in case.

swissair81
03-15-2013, 09:18 AM
I did not know my lap baby was entitled to her own luggage. I usually pack everyone together and with 6 regularly ticketed passengers, I've never had to worry about the baby's baggage allowance. I'll have to look into that the next time we visit my in laws.

hillview
03-15-2013, 09:38 AM
On my last Delta flight (mid-Feb), they told me my LLBean large duffle was too big. He said I was allowed a bag roughly the size of a carry on. He checked it through for free, but warned me for next time.

WOW. We always check a duffle, the bag itself is light so we can get more in. Was that just for the child's bag check or yours?

OP we use duffle bags since they weigh less. I've NEVER had anyone measure it only weigh. Typicallty intl travel is a LOT worse when it comes to bags. To get the best info, you could post to flyertalk.com -- they have a ton of recent experience over there that is airlines specific.

JdrKuhnert
03-15-2013, 01:33 PM
WOW. We always check a duffle, the bag itself is light so we can get more in. Was that just for the child's bag check or yours?

OP we use duffle bags since they weigh less. I've NEVER had anyone measure it only weigh. Typicallty intl travel is a LOT worse when it comes to bags. To get the best info, you could post to flyertalk.com -- they have a ton of recent experience over there that is airlines specific.

The duffle for the lap child was too big. The bag wasn't heavy, but I had a huge Mater truck in it that I needed space for. Luckily, it was on my return flight from the US so there was a little more leeway from the check in agent. The duffle for my allowance was fine.

ZeeBaby
03-15-2013, 01:57 PM
We have flown United internationally and the infant got a regular large sized bag. Either 24 or 26 inches. I can't remember the exact measurement. We were only limited by weight. The baby also got a carry on and a personal item. We had 4 personal items and 4 carry ons for 2 adults and 2 children, plus a stoller and 2 car seats. Fun times!

buttercup
03-15-2013, 10:32 PM
Thank you but I really asked about the size of the checked baggage for the infant. I was not looking for advice about travelling with infant in lap or not. (Not to be snarky but I really don't want to go down that road.)

Cannot recall the luggage, and I did not think infant in lap affected it, but just wanted to reassure you that I've done the infant in lap international travel many times with each kid and it is fine.

MamaMolly
03-16-2013, 08:36 AM
I've had luggage measured lots of times. Usually the check in agents have a measuring tape for sewing draped across their necks. ;). Look up the airline's rules about bag dimensions online, then do a quick LxWxH measurement to make sure you are within the limit.

missmartha
03-18-2013, 12:58 PM
When we've flown internationally with our son (who was ~1) we were allowed to gate check both the car seat and the stroller. That allowed us to have an extra carry on for him. We just put his things (toys, diapers, clothes) into our luggage since we had so little compared to his needs!

We, too, found that most of the gate agents don't know the policies for travelling with lap babies so just keep asking for what you need and eventually you'll find someone who will help you. Only thing that you'll absolutely have to follow is the max. weight requirements. We travel with a hand scale (you can find them for $10 at the Office Depot/BBB/Target) to make sure all of our luggage is under the 50lb (or 30kg) weight limit.

And another tip - make sure that you confirm your bassinet in advance by calling but also get to the airport as early as possible so that your seats can be switched to the bulkhead if your bassinet isn't confirmed yet!

Good luck and have a safe trip!!! :)