PDA

View Full Version : Would you email a company and complain about...

wifecat
03-14-2013, 10:56 PM
something that is essentially stupid?

You all helped me several weeks ago when I entered a costume contest (and you all rock). The description of the contest was, "Share the Love in your Facebook Costume Contest. Dress to impress in a costume you feel best represents love. Winner receives a $250 __store name__ shopping spree"

I dressed up. I was the only one at my store dressed up.

Then the photos got posted to facebook, and they'd taken pics of everyone who was willing as they had a photo booth-ish thing set up. They apparently had similar setups across the country for the same event.

Then they posted, "Your VIP Family "Feel the Love" Party Facebook Photo Contest VOTING HAS STARTED. Time to share YOUR LOVE & "LIKE" your favorite VIP Family Member photo here on the _company name_ Facebook page! So VOTE NOW! The VIP Family Member photo with the MOST LIKES on March 17th is the winner of a __ shopping spree!"

No longer about a costume. Kinda ticked me off. If I had known this wasn't really a costume contest, I wouldn't have bothered dressing up. If it had been advertised as a facebook liking contest, I wouldn't have entered. And the girl who's been winning...didn't dress up. She and I have traded off the lead, and the contest has been dragging on since Feb 22 or so! I've probably ticked off all my friends and should just. stop. caring! But I can't! She didn't dress up!

Then, with a few days to go, the store put the finalists pics together and gave yet another link to like.

Worst run "costume" contest ever. I totally know this is a first world problem. I get that it's stupid. But it's really irritating and they may lose my business entirely.

Should I bother contacting them (maybe after the contest, not now)? Or is this too dumb to bother with? I really can't believe just how much it's irritating me...but it's definitely gotten under my skin!

Blue Hydrangea
03-14-2013, 11:08 PM
I would probably just shrug it off and move on. But if I really couldn't let go of my irritation, I would probably email the company and express my disappointment that the costume contest did not proceed as advertised and now included all employees regardless of their costume. Not that it would do anything, but it might help to get it off your chest.

My guess is they just didn't get enough participation in the costume contest to make it worth it, they want to get "likes" out of this deal, and that means getting the most people involved, who will in turn involve their friends.

wifecat
03-14-2013, 11:11 PM
I would probably just shrug it off and move on. But if I really couldn't let go of my irritation, I would probably email the company and express my disappointment that the costume contest did not proceed as advertised and now included all employees regardless of their costume. Not that it would do anything, but it might help to get it off your chest.

My guess is they just didn't get enough participation in the costume contest to make it worth it, they want to get "likes" out of this deal, and that means getting the most people involved, who will in turn involve their friends.

You would think they'd be wanting likes for their company, right? But they just have people liking the photos, not their company (and the eligible participants are store shoppers, specifically their VIPS who have purchased a yearly membership to get a VIP discount, not employees)...the whole thing just seems so poorly planned and executed!

TwinFoxes
03-14-2013, 11:26 PM
I'm sure they intended for it to be a costume contest, but when only one person showed up in a costume they still wanted the FB publicity and buzz, so they changed it. From their viewpoint they want to look like they are fun and hip, not "we couldn't get people to participate". It sucks, but I'd let it go.

wifecat
03-14-2013, 11:54 PM
I'm sure they intended for it to be a costume contest, but when only one person showed up in a costume they still wanted the FB publicity and buzz, so they changed it. From their viewpoint they want to look like they are fun and hip, not "we couldn't get people to participate". It sucks, but I'd let it go.

Other people did dress up (just not at my store), or even just used the props the store provided (there were some at every photo booth across the country!). if the tutu guy was winning I wouldn't mind, ya know?

But yeah, I should probably just let it go. I can't explain why it's bothering me so much - ridiculous really. It's impacting my sleep!

liz
03-15-2013, 07:04 AM
yeah, I would be mad too. Email the company and let them know how you feel. Hopefully it will make you feel better to vent. I doubt it will change anything though. booo to them!