PDA

View Full Version : My 3 yr. old has lip blisters and pink eye

fedoragirl
03-14-2013, 11:33 PM
...and all I am coming up with is herpes! :eek:
She got the pink eye this morning and didn't complain of any soreness or pain. There is no crusting either. It's just really red.
And I discovered the lower lip blisters at dinner. She doesn't feel them or even know they're there. They don't really look like blisters but I think they are.
I really don't want to go to Urgent Care because we're visiting so our ped. is not here but I will go if I have to.
Any BTDT advice?

writermama
03-14-2013, 11:39 PM
I'd guess hand foot and mouth

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/commoninfections/a/hfm_disease.htm

On edit, posted the link fast so you can start reading.

HFM, aka coxsackie is not serious, but it's painful and kids are pretty miserable when they have it. It's also extremely contagious.

Another link, has photos:
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/coxsackie-virus

mypa
03-14-2013, 11:45 PM
I would take her in. DD had herpes and I wish I took her in earlier. I initially thought it was Hand, Foot, Mouth disease and was going to wait it out, but then the blisters/sores spread all around her gums and back of the throat (with really bad breath) and she was having trouble eating so I took her in and the ped said it was herpes.

The ped prescribed Acyclovir (anti-viral med) but said it was only effective early in the disease and we were right at the borderline. She also gave us some "hurricaines", cotton swabs filled with lidocaine to dab on the sore so she could eat.

It was pretty bad and lasted for over 10 days.

DD did not present with any pink eye, though.

fedoragirl
03-15-2013, 08:21 AM
Ok, I checked this morning. The pink eye was slightly crusted. There are two sores on the inside and one blister on her mouth which has receded. She has no pain, no fever, and is eating and behaving normally. I asked if her mouth hurt and she said no.
Could it be an allergy? She is slightly allergic to shellfish but it hasn't manifested on her mouth ever. She had a ton of shrimps yesterday and the day before.

Momit
03-15-2013, 08:45 AM
I think I would take her in. If it is herpes, I believe that the acyclovir can greatly decrease the chance and severity of future outbreaks if it's administered early. Poor baby.

And on the slightly allergic to shellfish, which I know you didn't ask about but since you mentioned it, that's an allergy that often leads to anaphylactic reactions so if she's slightly allergic now it could become much more severe next time she has a reaction. We have several friends who had the blister reaction at first then the next time it was full-on anaphylaxis and they now carry epi-pens.