PDA

View Full Version : Help me diagnose this- is this a cold sore(HPV) or HFM:(

daisy13
03-15-2013, 01:17 AM
Please see attached pic...Corner of her mouth.. Should I take her to her doc?

almostmom
03-15-2013, 09:24 AM
It is really hard to see anything in that picture - sorry! In my experience (and I have it), cold sores look more like a group of little bumps/blisters, not a flat red area. But it's very hard to see from that picture.

daisymommy
03-15-2013, 09:53 AM
There is nothing a doctor can do for HFM, or cold sores. So I would wait to see if she gets more bumps anywhere else, then get advice from the nurse or us if it does turn out to be HFM. Dragging her to the doctor won't prevent anything, so I wouldn't bother at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mackmama
03-15-2013, 12:10 PM
It could be redness from drool or teething. Has she had cold sores before? If not, I think the first breakout is usually a pretty large cluster.

MamaMolly
03-15-2013, 12:36 PM
If it is a cold sore the doctor can give you a script for Zovirax ointment. Dolly had one on her arm as a baby. They called it something else, but that is what it was.

brittone2
03-15-2013, 12:43 PM
OP, I have no idea whether it is HFM or something else, but as a heads up to anyone reading, there was something in medpage today the other day saying one of the popular strains of HFM going around right now has a bit of a different presentation than people think of with classic HFM:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/AAD/37729

A newer strain of the Coxsackie virus has a more extensive and varied clinical presentation than classic hand, foot, and mouth disease, researchers reported here.In a review of cases from several centers, almost all patients had far more widespread vesicular bullous and erosive eruptions than classic disease and about half had an eczema-herpeticum type eruption, Vikash Oza, MD, of the University of California San Francisco, reported during a late-breaking session at the American Academy of Dermatology meeting here.

Still-in-Shock
03-15-2013, 12:45 PM
If your pediatrician is open to phone calls, you might try calling the office to see what they recommend. My gyn actually has a portal for emails, which I am very grateful for!

If your little one isn't fussing about it, and there aren't visible blisters, normally I would wait. But since it's Friday, I'd make the call to the doctor just in case.

daisy13
03-15-2013, 01:06 PM
thanks everyone! it is complicated by the fact that we are leaving for LA ( Disney!!) tonight( we live in the bay area). I see that it seems better today. I will still send an email to the ped and see what she thinks..