PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone help needed

TwoBees
03-15-2013, 09:18 AM
I've posted a few threads about this in the past, but I still have not gotten a new cell phone so, I'm back to square one. If you can bear with me through another post, I could really use your help.

I thought I would be upgrading from my current cell phone (Droid Incredible 2) to an iPhone 5, but DH refuses to resign our contract with Verizon and lose our unlimited data. We have three phones plus a MiFi hotspot on the plan, so it's a lot of data, although we probably don't meet the limit. In any case, resigning a contract is not going to happen, and moving to another carrier is not going to happen.

Verizon will give us a hefty discount on any smartphone EXCEPT an iPhone, because Apple won't let them. And $700 out of pocket for the iPhone5 (plus tax and insurance) isn't doable right now. The 4S is only $100 less, so that's not really an option. I am NOT buying a phone through ebay.

So...any suggestions for a different Verizon smartphone? I really don't want to go any larger than my current phone, which is why I originally crossed the Galaxy S3 off my list. I need an excellent camera and decent battery life.

If you've made it this far through my post, I appreciate it.

georgiegirl
03-15-2013, 09:27 AM
I'm not sure if this is still the Verizon policy, but when we upgrade to iPhones (when the 4s came out), we were able to keep our unlimited data. Has it been (almost) 2 years since you last upgraded? Then you should be able to resign (with unlimited data) at the promotional price for the iPhone. Or at least that's the case when we resigned back in Oct 2011.

TwoBees
03-15-2013, 09:40 AM
I'm not sure if this is still the Verizon policy, but when we upgrade to iPhones (when the 4s came out), we were able to keep our unlimited data. Has it been (almost) 2 years since you last upgraded? Then you should be able to resign (with unlimited data) at the promotional price for the iPhone. Or at least that's the case when we resigned back in Oct 2011.

Nope. Verizon dropped that policy back in early 2012. :(

I am due for an upgrade, but I only get the discounted price if I resign my contract, which means losing the unlimited data.

larig
03-15-2013, 09:45 AM
I'm an iphone girl, but the buzz I hear on the android side is about the HTC 1 (coming out soon). The Samsung galaxy S4 was announced yesterday, but I think the one sounds more compelling.

georgiegirl
03-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Nope. Verizon dropped that policy back in early 2012. :(

I am due for an upgrade, but I only get the discounted price if I resign my contract, which means losing the unlimited data.

That stinks!

jam224
03-16-2013, 12:56 AM
Have you played with them in the store? That's how I decided on the Incredible 2 way back when (phone twinsies! ;)). Looks like the Incredible 4G is about the same size as the phone we have now. I agree with you -- I'd hate to go much bigger.

I'm still happy with my phone. I'm curious; what's the reason for wanting to upgrade? That really stinks that you can't get the promo price for the iPhone! Boo on them for not letting you keep your unlimited data! :/

nfowife
03-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Have you looked into buying a verizon iphone on craigslist? You should be able to get a 4 or 4S for $2-$300. That's what they are selling for on our craigslist here. People who have upgraded are selling there phones, just be sure to get one from a current verizon customer so the sim cards or chips or whatever are compatible.