PDA

View Full Version : science project advice

hillview
03-15-2013, 09:27 AM
DS2 (5) is doing a growing science project (seeds). We started late (my fault) and nothing is happening yet. It is due next week. I mentioned to his teacher that it might not be very exciting, she suggested I buy a plant put it in the pot and magic overnight growing. Honestly "cheating" on the project never occurred to me. WWYD?

DS planted seeds in pots, one in freezer, one in closet, one in window sill getting water, one in window not getting water etc. Goal was to see what plants need to grow.

o_mom
03-15-2013, 09:32 AM
I would give it through the weekend at least. Most seeds take 5-10 days to sprout. At most I might put some heat near the one in the window sill to encourage it (is the one in the closet getting water? It might sprout without light if it is watered).

I would not cheat, though. I'm surprised the teacher would suggest that.

If nothing happens, I would take it as a lesson in what not to do - and ask him what he would do different the next time (then follow through if you can and try that next).

Seitvonzu
03-15-2013, 09:40 AM
GRASS SEED???? ask for something like "easter grass" (i think the local farm seed place sold me rye seed-- it's fine and sprouts very early...and grows FAST)

it's super fast. it grows so fast that every year before easter i kick myself for planting it too early (this year i've waited and i think i'm going to do it sunday- but i need lots of growth....you obviously just need SOME growth, right?)

good luck. i'm terrible about projects like that. keep what you've done because pp is right- it might sprout soon. the other "quick sprouter" that i noticed yesterday when i doing another easter project was radishes.... i was comparing all the sprout/grow times and radishes are READY TO HARVEST in 22 days! wow! ... so i expect very fast sprouts (i think it said 2-4 days? that's FAST)

i wouldn't do a "magic" plant. that seems weird. i might prep your kiddo to know what SHOULD have made a difference (i'm guessing he does know and that's how he set up the experiment?) in the real world, unfortunately.... this happens. even to adults :) and he now has the extra knowledge that "time" is a factor in growing things, right? :)

icunurse
03-15-2013, 09:43 AM
Since your DS is only five, if it was just to learn about plant growth, I might have considered the teachers advice. But since it is an actual comparative study, no, I would just ride it out, even if you have nothing growing by the time of class. Let him discover the results for himself whenever they happen.

It could also be a good time to teach your son that plants aren't perfect. They not only need dirt, sun, air and water, but TIME. Some seeds will start sooner, some later, some never at all, even with the right conditions. If he ever wants to start a garden, that will be a big life lesson :)

krocodile
03-15-2013, 10:04 AM
I'm a science teacher and I've had good luck with green beans sprouting very quickly, in as little as 2 days. We have students put them in a small plastic jewelry bag with a moist cotton ball or piece of paper towel so they see it sooner than when they are planted in pots.

jench
03-15-2013, 10:26 AM
definitely try some grass seed! DS brought some home from a science activity planted in a cup and I swear it sprouted overnight!

twowhat?
03-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Wheatgrass seeds sprout very quickly, in just a couple of days...but even then they may not grow high enough so that you can see the difference between all his different conditions...

"cheating" on the project...I dunno, that kind of rubs me the wrong way but ONLY because at 5yo - they are old enough to start "getting" what is real and when the wool has been pulled over their eyes and the teacher is basically suggesting that he try to trick the other 5yos...

But - can you modifiy the project?

Go buy several small potted (already grown) identical (or as close to it as you can get) plants - put one in the freezer, one in the closet in the dark, one on the sill with no water, one on the sill with water, etc. Then he can explain how some plants would not do well in cold climates, in the shade, in the drought, etc. Over the weekend I imagine you would definitely see differences in the frozen plant (of course), the one in the closet, and the one without water (see if you can make sure one of the potted plants you buy is somewhat dry already...yeah I guess that is "sort of" cheating LOL). It'd still be a fun and informative project, and would have a bigger impact factor for 5yos to see a full-grown plant all wilted from freezing temps. Also a good learning experience - why aren't there more plants in Antarctica, in the desert, etc.

lovin2shop
03-15-2013, 12:59 PM
I would just ask the teacher if he could bring it in late? I do think a magical plant is kind of an odd suggestion.