PDA

View Full Version : charleston, SC hotel suggestions?

hillview
03-15-2013, 09:34 AM
DH and I are going to Charleston for a long weekend without kids. Anyone have any hotel suggestions? Think we'd prefer to be in town/walking to places. A nice hotel would be great.
TIA!

Momit
03-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Bumping with some non-hotel info. I know there are BBBers who can recommend hotels, we always stay with friends so I'm not much help there but can pass along some fun stuff to do if that helps.

Restaurants/Drinks
-Coconut Joes - on Isle of Palms is an fun place to hang out for a drink - music on the deck most nights and great ocean views.
-Coast - is a good seafood restaurant downtown, laid back atmosphere, reasonable prices, can be crowded
-The Pavilion Bar or Henry’s Vintage Rooftop - nice place to go for a drink with a pretty view of downtown.

Things to do
-Walk down East Bay Street to the Battery (park at the end of the peninsula). Beautiful views of the water and historic mansions.
-Take the water taxi to Mt. Pleasant and back, great view from the water
-Shem Creek - rent kayaks and tour around the creek and the harbor, walk the boardwalk. Dolphins are abundant in front of Waters Edge.
-Magnolia Plantation & Gardens - romantic gardens, nature trails, not sure what's blooming now
-Middleton Place - landscaped gardens, nice views, fun on Wednesday night Wine Strolls.
-Boone Hall plantation - tour the hall and cabins, great farm stand, beautiful oak-lined entry
-Sullivans Island - go to Fort Moultrie to watch the sun set over the churches of Charleston, stop at Poe’s Tavern for fish tacos or a burger.

There are tons of cute historic inns and B&Bs in Charleston (Two Meeting Street, the Vendue, Charleston Place), or you can do something like Wild Dunes resort on Isle of Palms.

elektra
03-18-2013, 04:03 PM
It was pre-kids (so awhile!) but DH and I stayed here: http://www.fivestaralliance.com/luxury-hotels/charleston-sc/charleston-place
It was nice.
We also did a tour of Middleton Place- on old rice plantation. (Caroline Kennedy and her family (and what looked like body guards) were on the same tour!)

We also did a bike ride through Mt. Pleasant, as part of a guided tour.

We went for the Family Circle Cup -it was great catching some tennis matches and then walking around the town.

I can't remember the names of the restaurants we went to unfortunately. I do remember one had a very cool rooftop pool/bar/view though!

Kindra178
03-18-2013, 05:01 PM
This place is lovely:

http://www.plantersinn.com/

Love the restaurant too.

Philly Mom
03-18-2013, 05:07 PM
This place is lovely:

http://www.plantersinn.com/

Love the restaurant too.

Exactly. Great hotel and restaurant.

TxCat
03-18-2013, 09:46 PM
If you decide you don't mind being further out, we just went two weeks ago and stayed at the Sanctuary at Kiawah Island. It was about a 40 min drive into Charleston, but it was AMAZING. Gorgeous beach, pools, outside seating. Wonderful staff. Great restaurants. Highly recommend.

tmahanes
03-18-2013, 10:57 PM
If you decide you don't mind being further out, we just went two weeks ago and stayed at the Sanctuary at Kiawah Island. It was about a 40 min drive into Charleston, but it was AMAZING. Gorgeous beach, pools, outside seating. Wonderful staff. Great restaurants. Highly recommend.

LOVE Kiawah!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR