PDA

View Full Version : Glasses for 2nd grader

infocrazy
03-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Only a second, but DS1 (7.5) needs glasses. He is VERY excited to wear glasses, but I am sure that is short lived. DH and I don't wear glasses, so I have no idea what I should be looking for to make them work the best.

Any tips on fitting, frame shape, features I should look for?

ABO Mama
03-15-2013, 11:28 AM
DS is in the third grade, and wears glasses. He has transition lenses, and flexible frames. Go to a local Dr to get your glasses, so that they can be adjusted frequently!

AnnieW625
03-15-2013, 11:28 AM
If they are just for reading then I think you fine with regular glasses and he might benefit from anti glare coating. If they are going to be for all of the time then I highly rec. getting Transitions, ESP. if your insurance covers it. If you don't have insurance then I have heard good things about Wal Mart and Costco. Costco includes Transitions and they are under $100 iirc.

sarahsthreads
03-15-2013, 11:36 AM
DD1 gets the flex frames (is it flex-on brand, or something like that?) but we've never done anti-glare coating or transition lenses. Heck, I only got anti-glare coating for the first time this last pair, and I've been wearing glasses for 30 years! She actually can wear kid's plastic sunglasses right over her real glasses if she wants to. (Not the biggest fashion statement, but she thinks it's fun and funny.)

The place we get them from (attached to our eye doctor's office) are really good at helping DD1 find something she likes (color/style) in a shape and size that fit her face best.

Her very first pair they threw in insurance for free. It covered loss, breakage, etc. for an entire year I think? Which is nice, because that first pair, until they learn how to deal with glasses on an everyday basis, are likely to have something happen to them. We haven't bought it (or needed it) since...knock wood!

Sarah :)

JBaxter
03-15-2013, 11:39 AM
With in reason let him pick them. If he doesnt love them he wont wear them.

stefani
03-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Ds started wearing glasses in 1st grade. We got his at Costco, and the subsequent one at Target. I thought he would have more problem keeping them on all the time, but he did not. He has not left it anywhere so far (the problem I had when I first got my glasses) and he has not complained about it. The first pair broke, but that was because he got hit on the face with a soccer ball (so not because of his carelessness).

He has Flexon frames and polycarbonate lenses (kid lenses), no transition or anti-glare since I figure he doesn't need them and he would change glasses either yearly or every 2 years. I have anti-glare for mine and I pay extra for the thinnest lenses possible.