PDA

View Full Version : Where and how to do big family trip in Colorado?

belovedgandp
03-15-2013, 11:23 AM
We are doing a multi-family trip to Colorado this summer. There will be three families - 6 adults and 5 kids (2, 3, 3, 6, 9).

Where should we go? We are looking central to southern. Families are active bikers and we'll want to be outside a bunch.

How do I find a single house? I know I've seen sites recommended before, but I've never looked for a larger home for a week like this.

lilycat88
03-15-2013, 01:54 PM
This is a friend of mine's house. It's in Denver proper (near Regis University), though so I don't know if you'd be interested. I stayed there back in January when he got married and it was great. It's across from a park and I saw tons of people out running and biking.

http://www.vrbo.com/414107

lhafer
03-15-2013, 02:06 PM
I would look at vrbo.com and see what's available in the area you are interested in. Summer ends to be more of the "low" season in the mountains, so usually deals can be had. For example, we are renting a condo 3/2/2 (because it will just be us) in Park City, UT this summer for 5 weeks for a grand total of $2,700. For all 5 weeks, not per week. The owner usually charges $3k for a month, but said he was willing to go to $2,500. Since my dates are weird we had to go over the "month" by 2 days, which he charged $60 per day. Um, yeah....that's not a problem, since you can't even get a decent hotel for that price!

So in the summer beach houses are expensive, and them mountain areas are cheap. Just like the beach houses are super cheap and the mountain getaways are expensive in the winter.

If I were vacationing in Colorado, I would probably lean towards Teluride/Durango/Silverton/Ouray. It's just SO pretty that way. Tons of outdoors stuff to do.

http://www.vrbo.com/347581

http://www.vrbo.com/391550

http://www.vrbo.com/398292

http://www.vrbo.com/145722#photos

bostonsmama
03-15-2013, 02:11 PM
We rented an apartment/condo in Colorado Springs last May, and from there we took daytrips up to Denver and its surrounding parks/national forrests. We hit up Ikea (since we're far from one), went south to Ft. Carson area, took daily hikes at Garden of the Gods, found every awesome mom n pop restaurant in Old Colorado City (oh my word, some of the BEST!), toured the lay of the land, and just relaxed. It was SO nice. It was our 10yr anniversary trip. We wound up looking at houses and land, too, since we thought we might want to retire there. Homes are so lovely! Anyways, it was great, and there's plenty to do. We flew into Denver to save money, but when you rent a car from Denver and get in at traffic hour, you might want to take the toll expressway that cuts off lots of time from your commute. Well, when you do that, the rental company charges you the privilege fee of the remote/satellite toll deduction thing every.single.day. you rent the car, even if you never use that toll road until you return the car to Denver. That was a major bite (it was between $3-7/day plus the $12-15 toll). It didn't make up the cost of flying into Denver vs Colorado Springs (I don't know if you're driving), but be warned! :)

Also, pack your sunscreen and sunglasses. Colorado Springs is the happiest, sunshiniest city I've ever been to. Everyone had permagrin on their faces. Also, pack your thickest moisturizer and pick up a 24pk of water for everyone. It was the DRIEST place on earth! I'm talking 7% humidity! Coming from an avg of 60-70%, it was a stark change. My eyelids felt like sandpaper going over my eyes. LOL

Simon
03-15-2013, 07:58 PM
You could always check out the rentals at the YMCA properties--Estes Park or Snow Mountain Ranch. I believe they have single cabins for larger groups. They are more in the heart of the mountains and perhaps too far north for you. They have decent amounts of land of their own and/or are super close to public lands so great hiking and biking opportunities. They also have lots to please different ages--swimming pool, gym, arts and crafts area, library, kids programming, etc. They have a day camp in the summers that you can use on a day by day basis for older kids. Our room wasn't luxury but I know they do have nicer ones, and we enjoyed the many activities and LOVED the view without the drive. You don't need to be a member to stay there.

StantonHyde
03-16-2013, 12:25 AM
The YMCA camp is supposed to be amazing!!! It's on my bucket list.

mskitty
03-16-2013, 12:39 AM
You could always check out the rentals at the YMCA properties--Estes Park or Snow Mountain Ranch. I believe they have single cabins for larger groups. They are more in the heart of the mountains and perhaps too far north for you. They have decent amounts of land of their own and/or are super close to public lands so great hiking and biking opportunities. They also have lots to please different ages--swimming pool, gym, arts and crafts area, library, kids programming, etc. They have a day camp in the summers that you can use on a day by day basis for older kids. Our room wasn't luxury but I know they do have nicer ones, and we enjoyed the many activities and LOVED the view without the drive. You don't need to be a member to stay there.

:yeahthat:

We did a multi generational family reunion several years ago. The YMCA camp was awesome. People picked their own lodging and we went to the dining hall for many meals so no one had to cook for a large group. Lots of great activities (fishing, biking, hiking, crafts, etc) on property and many options close by as well. Great way to have family togetherness but not TOO much family time either as people went off in different small groups all the time.

mskitty

belovedgandp
03-16-2013, 11:05 AM
I'd looked at the YMCA ones, but feel I'm a little late for there and what I was seeing online it would be pricier than most of the homes I'm looking at on vrbo.

Plus that was the far range that one family was willing to drive to go north.

What I really need to do is get out the map and figure out my Colorado geography at exactly where Durango, Colorado Springs and all of this is.

Thank you!