PDA

View Full Version : Closing off a breezeway?

Mommy2Abby
03-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Has anyone closed off a breezeway between a house and a garage? (i.e., closed in the 2 open walls to make it fully connected/private between the house and garage). If so, can you offer any info on cost or things you liked/didn't like about doing it?

We are looking at a house that has a garage which they refer to as "attached" but only because it is attached by a roof in a breezeway format (the 2 sides are open). We live in the North east so would really like to have the house and garage fully attached.

TIA for any input!

brittone2
03-15-2013, 12:22 PM
I think PO did that in our house. The garage comes out the back of the house. I don't know how it was originally attached or if it was completely separate. I know they had a screened in room at first in between, but they eventually closed it in so it was a 3 seasons room. We don't have heat or cooling, but it is nice enough to use the room heavily a good bit of the year as it is. PO used a space heater and opened the kitchen door to a/c it in the summer, but I think it would jack up our electric bill substantially to do so. We'll probably have baseboard heat added out there eventually.

We've lived with it for 2 years to see how we use the room. PO had a TV out there and really lived in that space. For us it is more of a mudroom/art space so far. I enjoy opening the large sliding glass windows and reading with the kids when the weather is nice (spring, fall, and summer mornings)

Would you heat or cool it? Not doing so affects flooring choices among other things. PO had it carpeted; we will likely replace it to something easier to clean (kids and dog track in mud since it is our defacto mudroom space.

We're planning to build lockers/cubbies in the space. We keep a large hinged trunk right now and I rotate whether it is summer stuff (baseball gear, pool bag, sunscreen, bubbles, etc. or winter stuff (snow pants, extra gloves, hats, etc.). We'll build something like that into a bench once we do the cubbies I think.

My smallish laundry room also connects with that space, so I keep a drying rack out there.