PDA

View Full Version : Sick DS - Should I worry?

alootikki
03-15-2013, 12:16 PM
DS (2.5) came home from nursery school yesterday very tired, and woke up from his nap with a fever. Last night I slept with him, and he was burning up the whole night. Tylenol slightly helped, but it still took him a long time to get back to sleep in the middle of the night. His appetite is low to ok (better than no appetite). The ped's office said it could be a virus, no way to tell if it's the flu, and that there's nothing to give him if it is the flu. He was doing ok this morning, but suddenly got a fit of shivers and kept saying he was so cold (even though he still has a fever). Does this sound like the flu? Should I take him into the ped (don't want to have to take him out and in the waiting room if they aren't going to help anyway)? I'm currently alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen - anything else I should do? Thanks!!

Giantbear
03-15-2013, 12:19 PM
A swab test of the nostril should tell if it is the flu. I find with dd, who runs very high fevers, two weeks ago she was over 104.5 three nights, that advil works better than tylenol, with in 20 min she will go from 105 to 102. I would go to the ped to check the ears, throat, nose and chest, but if it is the flu, lots of fluids, warm baths and tlc

wellyes
03-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Poor thing. I think the shivering is a normal part of the viral fever (flu or other virus). Just keep treating, lots of fluids, lots of hugs. Don't worry.

SnuggleBuggles
03-15-2013, 12:23 PM
We just got done passing a virus like this around our family (I had a thread about it). We had a fever and no other symptoms, no aches and pains, for example. We were all extra tired. We were travelling so no thermometer. My guess is fevers were 102-104 though. Fevers last 2-3 days.

Skip Tylenol. We don't even own any. Ibuprofen handles fevers much better.

I wouldn't bother with the flu dx b/c at this point you would just be managing symptoms anyway.

Hope he feels better! No fun when they are sick!

alootikki
03-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Thanks all for the reassurance! The fit of shakes/shivers kind of freaked me out - good to know that this is "normal" with a virus.