PDA

View Full Version : If you go to a luncheon and the host says "don't bring anything"...

wellyes
03-15-2013, 02:38 PM
... what do you bring? Flowers? Port? Candle? Nothing?

lil_acorn
03-15-2013, 02:39 PM
flowers or wine would be lovely!

cvanbrunt
03-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Nothing. I really try to take people at their word on these things.

crl
03-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Well, was the bring nothing in response to asking, "what can I bring?". That's a little different than a preemptive don't bring anything. If it was a preemptive don't bring anything, I would not bring anything. If it was in response to an inquiry, I would take it to mean that the meal is not a pot luck and bring a small hostess gift (wine, flowers, chocolates, fancy olive oil) not intended for the meal.

Catherine

hillview
03-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Well, was the bring nothing in response to asking, "what can I bring?". That's a little different than a preemptive don't bring anything. If it was a preemptive don't bring anything, I would not bring anything. If it was in response to an inquiry, I would take it to mean that the meal is not a pot luck and bring a small hostess gift (wine, flowers, chocolates, fancy olive oil) not intended for the meal.

Catherine
:yeahthat:

bisous
03-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Nothing. I really try to take people at their word on these things.

My initial thought was to bring flowers but I like this response. I appreciate straight-forwardness and I like the idea of cultivating that in people around me. It just makes life easier!

wellyes
03-15-2013, 03:05 PM
I asked, what can I bring? She said nothing.
I said, I pass a bakery on the way to her house, it'd be easy to get some cookies. She said, no, nothing.

crl
03-15-2013, 03:10 PM
I asked, what can I bring? She said nothing.
I said, I pass a bakery on the way to her house, it'd be easy to get some cookies. She said, no, nothing.

I take that to mean she has the meal planned and does not need/want additions to the meal. But I do not take it to mean that she would not appreciate a small hostess gift that is not intended to be part of the meal. I don't think one is necessary in most circumstances, but I think it would be nice.

Catherine

ezcc
03-15-2013, 03:12 PM
If it's lunch I wouldn't bring anything. I don't think a hostess gift is necessary. Exception would be a luncheon given in your honor (shower or something).

123LuckyMom
03-15-2013, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't bring anything. She told you not to bring anything. I would trust that she means it.

Sweetum
03-15-2013, 03:49 PM
flowers or wine would be lovely!

:yeahthat:

mommylamb
03-15-2013, 05:04 PM
I think flowers or a small plant is nice, but totally unnecessary. If you have never been to her home before than I'd try to bring something.

georgiegirl
03-15-2013, 06:38 PM
I'd bring flowers.

almostamom
03-15-2013, 07:32 PM
I would bring a hostess gift. I don't know if it's a family thing or a regional thing, but I was always told not to walk into someone's house empty handed (I'm not talking about playgroup dates or chatting with my neighbor, but when I'm invited to dinner, lunch, etc.)

TwinFoxes
03-15-2013, 07:42 PM
I take that to mean she has the meal planned and does not need/want additions to the meal. But I do not take it to mean that she would not appreciate a small hostess gift that is not intended to be part of the meal. I don't think one is necessary in most circumstances, but I think it would be nice.

:yeahthat: I can't think of a way she could say, we are all set for lunch, but I'd love a hostess gift! ;) My friends don't do potluck meals, but I know they appreciate some wine or other token.