PDA

View Full Version : Do you negotiate price on Craiglist?

Hemlock
03-15-2013, 03:13 PM
I have been thinking of getting a Tripp Trapp chair. I found one nearby with a baby set and cushion. It is only 1 month old. The seller purchased it and it does not fit at her dining table due to some type of ledge on her table. Anyway, she is asking $300. In Canada the Tripp Trapp is $300, the baby set is $70 and the cushion is $50 (plus 13%tax on everything)(plus shipping). Would you offer less?

If you do negotiate, do you ask "would you consider $x amount? I am not very good at this type if thing.

KHF
03-15-2013, 03:18 PM
I would if the seller didn't say the price was firm and if I thought they were asking too much. If something is priced fairly, I don't haggle.

I sell on CL and I usually don't even respond to people when they lowball me when I say the price is firm. A couple of weeks ago I had someone offer me $50 for a brand new LeapPad2 with 2 games, carry case and a gel skin. I was asking $85 and stated price was firm...and she offered it 5 minutes after I posted it! I just deleted her email.

waitingforgrace
03-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Yes I do. I just ask if they will take x amount. For instance "I'm very interested in the Tripp Trapp. Would you be willing to take $270? I can pick up tomorrow..."

As for what it's worth that's totally up to you on what you want to spend. I would probably try to get it a little less than $300, but that's just me. You have to decide how much you want it. I don't think the price is unreasonable if it's really that new.

Mommy_Mea
03-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Depends. I typically offer full price if I think it is reasonable or really really want it (ie, not worth losing it over a few $$).

Based on my purchase on Craigslist, new condition Tripp Trapps don't go for a huge discount. I got one for $50 (new ones in the US are $250 full price), but it was in rough condition. I offered full price, responded within minutes of the ad being listed, and offered to meet her right away. Otherwise I am sure I would have missed out.

I saw ones listed in very good used condition for $175 that sold quickly.

Melaine
03-15-2013, 03:22 PM
I agree with pp. I sell all the time on CL and I'm fine with negotiations as long as they are done politely and AHEAD of time. There is nothing more irksome to me than someone arranging a time to meet and then offering less or asking me to break up a lot. I do get annoyed when folks say, "this is selling for X price on Amazon, so will you take Y?" Because the seller controls the price, regardless of what anyone else is selling it for, so just make an offer don't give reasons.

daisyd
03-15-2013, 03:29 PM
I've negotiated when the ad says "best offer". I've seen TT's sell for $200-250 here in the US with accessories. I live in a HCOL area though.

And yes I say "will you consider $x?" That way if I'm willing to buy for a higher amount I still stand a chance.

bisous
03-15-2013, 03:31 PM
I haven't done a ton of CL transactions but if I feel the price is too high I'll write a personalized email explaining exactly why and what I'd offer and follow it up with a note that, "If this is too low for you, I understand but if you have difficulty selling, please contact me. I'd be happy to buy it for x amount." I think the politeness and the explanation have both served to notify the seller that 1. you are not a scammer but a real person and 2. they put your terms out there in the ether. They can only say no or maybe they can say yes if the item doesn't sell as well as they anticipated.

wellyes
03-15-2013, 03:54 PM
If I think the price is high, yes, I give the price I think is fair during the initial conversations.

If I think the price is fair, usually not.

crl
03-15-2013, 04:22 PM
If I think the price is high, yes, I give the price I think is fair during the initial conversations.

:yeahthat:

Catherine

crayonblue
03-15-2013, 04:53 PM

Yes, this. And I NEVER show up at someone's door and then try to haggle. I've had so many people do this when selling on C'List. We agree on a price and time, they show up and then try to talk me down. It's annoying.

Hemlock
03-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Thanks, for the info. I decided to pass on this one because I don't really need the baby set because my son is 10 months old and I don't think I would use the seat cover. I'm also not sure that the Tripp Trapp is exactly right of us, but I think I'll start another thread for that.

squimp
03-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Yes, this. And I NEVER show up at someone's door and then try to haggle. I've had so many people do this when selling on C'List. We agree on a price and time, they show up and then try to talk me down. It's annoying.

I agree. If someone offers me less in person, I usually will not accept it unless I have been trying to sell it forever.

trcy
03-17-2013, 09:01 AM
I got low balled for everything I sold on CL