PDA

View Full Version : Toddler helmets?

AngB
03-15-2013, 04:48 PM
We just got DS1 a balance bike (thanks for the deal on the bargains forum) for Easter. Now we need to get him a helmet. Where do you guys buy them from? Any "rules" like car seats other than make sure it fits? Is this something you try to buy in store or is there a good place online for them?

Thanks!

♥ms.pacman♥
03-15-2013, 04:53 PM
well i think i'm not the BBB norm but we got DS's bike helmet at a local bike shop. We took DS there and let him pick one out, and try it on and see if it fit to his head okay and everything. Even though i paid full price, for this kind of thing i felt better about being able to try it on and stuff, and getting one he would actually wear (my kids have fairly large heads, so wasnt' sure about going by age-range).

lec
03-15-2013, 05:08 PM
I ordered DDs from Amazon.
We have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Toddlers-Carnival-Girl-Helmet/dp/B0030RSBH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363381413&sr=8-1&keywords=toddler+helmet

I know they have a boy version but I liked it because it has an easy fit dial on the back that we can tighten down which makes it really easy to fit.

ourbabygirl
03-15-2013, 05:13 PM
I was wondering the same thing recently! We got DD's helmet from Target last year (it's a Bell brand; they have the same one in stores this spring), and we got DS's helmet from REI (actually received it as a Christmas gift from my parents). I'm tempted to get them new ones from Target again, but, like PP, I want to make sure they fit how they're supposed to fit, so I'm o.k. paying a bit more (and hopefully avoiding a character one ;)) by getting them from a local bike shop (closer than our nearest REI).

twowhat?
03-15-2013, 05:54 PM
well i think i'm not the BBB norm but we got DS's bike helmet at a local bike shop. We took DS there and let him pick one out, and try it on and see if it fit to his head okay and everything. Even though i paid full price, for this kind of thing i felt better about being able to try it on and stuff, and getting one he would actually wear (my kids have fairly large heads, so wasnt' sure about going by age-range).

:yeahthat: Minus the large heads:) The bike shop was great about checking that the helmets fit properly, I was happy to support a local business, and now that we know what works, I'll buy the next ones online probably. (They are SO much cheaper from Amazon!!)

We got these when the girls were 3yo (and they adjust bigger by a LOT!):

http://www.amazon.com/Giro-Flume-Youth-Helmet-Black/dp/B002LSU3G0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1363384232&sr=8-8&keywords=giro+youth+girls

The guy at the bike store said that these "bike" styles are cooler in hot climates than the "street" styles that you see for street sports because of the vertical grooves/ventilation that help the air move as you are moving forward on a bike (vs the "holes in a bowl" type of ventilation that street styles have). I thought that was an interesting point, esp as we were going in looking at street styles because to me it looks like they provide more coverage. But really the important thing is proper fit.

kaharris83
03-15-2013, 06:17 PM
I bought DS1 a Little Nutty from Nutcase after checking fit locally at REI.

BunnyBee
03-15-2013, 06:18 PM

Same here. DS has a heed on him! :)

BayGirl2
03-15-2013, 06:36 PM
We have two of the Bell Fraction helmets, bought off Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00479TW6I/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have 3 levels of padding that can be removed so the helmet fits a wide range of head sizes safely, and the size range starts smaller than most I've seen. We got DS's first in XS when he was 1.5 and it would still fit at almost 4 on the medium size pads, but we passed it down to DD and got a Small for him, which already fit on the smallest size (thickest padding). Plus the designs are cute and gender neutral, not licensed characters, we have 2 Paul Frank ones.

The main considerations with helmets is that they fit snug on the head, are forward covering the forehead, and the chin strap is snug so they don't wobble off. I see kids with this wrong all the time. I like the 3 levels of padding because as long as your kids head is within the range you can get a good fit. Oh, and like carseats they do expire because the foam degrades. I need to replace my own and keep forgetting, probably since I haven't gotten on my bike in 5 years. :-(

jam224
03-15-2013, 06:58 PM
The guy at the bike store said that these "bike" styles are cooler in hot climates than the "street" styles that you see for street sports because of the vertical grooves/ventilation that help the air move as you are moving forward on a bike (vs the "holes in a bowl" type of ventilation that street styles have). I thought that was an interesting point, esp as we were going in looking at street styles because to me it looks like they provide more coverage. But really the important thing is proper fit.

I was all set to buy the Little Nutty (the magnetic buckle intrigued me), but you have a good point! Now I'm considering the Giro...

AnnieW625
03-15-2013, 07:17 PM

We did the same thing with DD1 when she was 4 and we got hers as well. We got her a Bell Paul Frank helmet.

maestramommy
03-15-2013, 09:41 PM
We got this for the kids at age 3

http://www.amazon.com/Giro-Toddler-Helmet-Airplanes-Universal/dp/B005I6P89E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363397949&sr=8-1&keywords=giro+me2+toddler+bike+helmet

I went to a bike shop first and fitted the kids. Then bought it off Amazon. The prices differ depending on which print you get.

BayGirl2
03-15-2013, 11:34 PM
We did the same thing with DD1 when she was 4 and we got hers as well. We got her a Bell Paul Frank helmet.
The Bell Paul Frank is the one I linked above on Amazon.

They have the size range in inches on the Bell website so I measured the kids heads and chose that way. I'm not sure what the price difference is, but if you don't feel like going to a bike store, its an easier option.