PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for a diaper gift - please help. :)

sophiesmom03
03-16-2013, 09:58 AM
It has been a long time since I've diapered anyone. LOL.

DH's secretary is having her first baby in a few weeks. His office wants to give her a diaper subscription (all the diapers she'll need for 8 or 12 weeks). They know she wants to use disposables.

What's the best way to purchase this? The office wanted to send X boxes of size X Pampers over time but I poked holes in that to DH (what if Pampers don't fit right? What happens when she needs bigger sizes or wants to experiment with another brand, etc.)

So now I've been designated the person to figure this out. Help? Suggestions?

Thanks!!!

ArizonaGirl
03-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Maybe figure out an average cost of dipes (huggies or pampers, etc) and estimate 10 to 12 dipes a day and then give her cash or a gift card for that amount.

:shrug:

HTH

AustenFan
03-16-2013, 05:21 PM
I actually like your DH's idea. My go-to baby shower gift is always a huge box of Pampers Swaddlers (size 1, because some babies grow out of NB size super fast!). Pampers may not be best for everyone, but I feel like they fit most of my friends' babies, at least in the beginning. (If I knew a family were hard-core Huggies fans, of course I'd buy those instead, but it sounds like she hasn't requested any specific kind yet.) It's hard to know ahead of time what's going to work for this baby, but if she's a first time mom, she probably doesn't have any better idea (or brand loyalty) than the office, right? She's going to have to try out different brands and see what works best, so why not start her off with one brand to try?

I agree that the gift card is a decent back-up idea. Maybe buy her an initial box of diapers and include the gift card for the rest of the amount (so that she can adjust sizes or brands as needed)?

MamaInMarch
03-16-2013, 08:16 PM
I personally am not a Pampers fan. I can't stand the scent of them and both of my babies got terrible rashes from Pampers (what is available in the hospitals here). I would go with Huggies Pure & Naturals, at least at first.

AnnieW625
03-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Honestly I would give her a gift certificate to BRUS or Target and let her choose her own diapers. My DD1 was in newborn Swaddlers until she was almost 6-8 weeks old because she was super tiny (she might have been 8lbs. then, she hit 10lbs. at 2 months). DD2 was in them (or Seventh Generation size N) for only a month. I might include a package of newborn Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive and a package of Huggies Newborn (and the same for size 1) to see what she likes best and tape a gift receipt to the diapers so she can easily take them back. I would include a large Costco box of wipes (with the receipt attached) because wipes are always needed.

Ms B
03-21-2013, 05:34 PM
When The Biscuit was born, my MIL's workplace gave us a laundry basket with a half dozen of the smaller size bags of diapers (Pampers and Huggies) from size 1 to size 4, along with an assortment of single packages of wipes, a couple of wipe holders, some ointments (A&D, Eucerin, etc.) and the full Johnson & Johnson line (which I still have untouched at home -- I would get some of the Yes! to or California Baby products instead).

It was a great way to try lots of kinds of diapers and wipes . . . plus the larger size diapers were great to have on hand when the The Biscuit moved up quickly in sizes. (He already is in size 5s and has been for some months now.)

And the laundry basket was great to have too!