PDA

View Full Version : Best newborn gift from "the office"?

sophiesmom03
03-16-2013, 10:02 AM
Someone in DH's office is having her first in a few weeks. The office wants to give her a gift. It's not a very close or personal office and she's only been there 7 months so no one knows her all that well as far as I can tell.

One suggestion was 8-12 weeks of diapers (they know she's doing disposables), but not sure how that would work (I'd think they should let her choose sizes and brands and etc. - don't know if anyone offers that).

Any other suggestions? They do not want to do cash or a gift card as it's not "personal" enough...which I totally understand but this is tricky as they really don't know her style or what she's already got.

What was the best gift you received, medium-large size, from someone who didn't know you all that well?

TIA!

barkley1
03-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Does she have a registry? I would just look on there for something around the dollar amount in mind, and go in together and buy it. Diapers are always great...you could include the receipt in case she preferred a different brand or size.

crl
03-16-2013, 10:10 AM
I'll second the registry. Otherwise maybe a Graco infant seat with a receipt for returning it? Diapers would be good too.

Catherine

Tenasparkl
03-16-2013, 11:57 AM
When a work friend recently had a baby two of us went to target and bought a laundry basket and filled it with all sorts of stuff: detergent, diapers, wipes, pacifiers, baby wash/shampoo, saline, gas drops, bibs, burp cloths,onesies, aquaphor etc. It was fun and she loved it.

echoesofspring
03-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Maybe a swing, pack and play, or rock n' play (my current fav. piece of baby equipment, despite the recall), or ergo? One of those things that's kind of pricey but can be really useful. If there isn't a registry getting it from some place with a really good return/exchange policy.

marymoo86
03-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Registry or something with a receipt - not gift receipt.

She could be very particular about what brands/items she wants to use and not every B&M could have that option.

I know I was :)

03-16-2013, 12:18 PM
One of DH's clients sent us a PotteryBarn Kids hooded towel (zebra)
with the baby's name on it. I would never have thought to get it for ourselves--even after 4--and we love it.

abh5e8
03-16-2013, 12:23 PM
the disposable diaper option is a good one! i know most places will let you exchange for different sizes/brands.

sophiesmom03
03-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Thanks all! I've written up the suggestions and sent them off to DH! :)

gamma
03-16-2013, 02:25 PM
A nice photo frame with a gift card for a photo shoot.

vonfirmath
03-16-2013, 04:59 PM
I got a $200 gift card to walmart from my office. I LOVED it.

soon2b4
03-16-2013, 06:52 PM
We received a Moses basket for DD1 from DH's office. I didn't even think of it, but we used it a lot and so did 3 or 4 friends and then DD2. So, that was a winner. They were super generous and also bought the stroller we wanted.

Indianamom2
03-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Honestly, as a mom, I didn't usually like what was included in the "new baby" gift basket from Dh's law firm. I'm sure it was fancy stuff (well, some of it), but honestly one of the best gifts I got was a gift card to have portraits taken. They can be so expensive and yet they can truly last a lifetime, so I think it's a really meaningful gift that almost anyone could appreciate.

new_mommy25
03-16-2013, 07:03 PM
My office chipped in and gave me a high ticket item from my registry (pack n play) as well as some other little things I didn't have on my registry but loved: fisher price aquarium is one I remember.

I think that sticking to the registry or buying a gift card to the store she is registered with is the safest bet.

Pyrodjm
03-16-2013, 08:31 PM
My office chipped in and gave me a high ticket item from my registry (pack n play) as well as some other little things I didn't have on my registry but loved: fisher price aquarium is one I remember.

I think that sticking to the registry or buying a gift card to the store she is registered with is the safest bet.

I was going to suggest a big ticket registry item. Safe, easy and it's something you know that she needs.

magnoliaparadise
03-18-2013, 12:33 AM
I know you said that gift cards were out, but I got gift cards and they were amazing - it's a lot of money to go play with. When they told me that they were getting me gift cards and asked me where to get them from, I made the mistake of saying Buy Buy Baby - not a bad place, but hard to get to from where I am and costs money to ship things (errr, I think). I should have suggested a local baby shop near me or even better, Amazon or Diapers.com. But I didn't think of it at the time. I would have used that money up super fast...
For my first child, my office just picked from my registry - which was lovely, but I am totally in favor of the gift card. I don't think it was less personal than picking from a registry.