PDA

View Full Version : To give pacifier or no to daycare?WWYD?

daisyd
03-16-2013, 11:21 AM
We use a pacifier sparingly at home for DS2 who is 3 months old. It helps him soothe himself and fall asleep. He's going to start daycare on Monday when I get back to work (sigh). Should I give a pacifier to daycare? The pros - would help smoothen transition & reduce chances of a bottle being given just to calm him. Cons - my biggest concern - increased chances of infection.
I didnt use a pacifier with DS1, so I'm not sure if there's any aspect I'm overlooking. Any BTDT advice for me? Thanks!

Giantbear
03-16-2013, 11:26 AM
I sent dd to daycare with her paci with no fears, trust me, it will not increase her risk of illness as the risk will be high anyway until she outgrows putting things in her mouth, including her hands.

daisyd
03-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Thanks for weighing in GB!

AngB
03-16-2013, 01:58 PM
I agree, the daycares I have worked at have always been pretty careful with pacifiers in the baby rooms. I'd be more worried about it when she is mobile but still even then, not too much concern.

Giantbear
03-16-2013, 02:44 PM
i will also add, expect increased reliance on the paci as the daycare may be more liberal in its use than you would be or would like

daisyd
03-16-2013, 03:23 PM
i will also add, expect increased reliance on the paci as the daycare may be more liberal in its use than you would be or would like

Yes, thats another concern I had

wellyes
03-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Why are you concerned about a bottle being given for soothing? Is it a pumping issue?

I personally probably would give the paci at daycare because soothing things from home are good. Or, maybe, go the first few days without and see how he does, and send it if it seems like it is necessary.

LizLemon
03-16-2013, 04:44 PM
At my daycare they recorded every time they gave my daughter any kind of food. If you have concerns about them giving her one too much or at improper times you could let them know. I personally would give the paci (and we did when my daughter went). It's enough of a transition for her to go, and I wanted my daughter to have all soothing objects that she would find helpful.

daisyd
03-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Why are you concerned about a bottle being given for soothing? Is it a pumping issue?

I personally probably would give the paci at daycare because soothing things from home are good. Or, maybe, go the first few days without and see how he does, and send it if it seems like it is necessary.

Yes, I exclusively pump and I barely make enough for DC daily. The stress of going back to work has made my supply drop more. I've added sessions hoping to counter that but I'll need to drop sessions again on Monday when I'm at work.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking of going for a few days without at first. I'll be sending a toy and a blanket to help with soothing.

daisyd
03-16-2013, 05:56 PM
Thanks LL. Can I ask how old your DD was when she started Daycare?

DS is 3 months. We started the paci only a couple of weeks ago and I was wondering if we still need it as DS has taken to sucking his fingers.

PZMommy
03-16-2013, 07:13 PM
I sent a paci and a favorite blanket that could stay in his crib. It helped soothe him when he was sleeping, and he didn't need it during awake time.

My daycare had us write a letter of sorts to tell his caregivers about him and his usual schedule. They do their absolute bet to follow the schedule and wishes of the parents.

Liziz
03-16-2013, 08:31 PM
I sent one with DD when she went to daycare at 3 mo. She was only a sporadic user at home, but I figured I wanted her to have anything that might help comfort her as she transitioned. She continued to be a sporadic user of it at daycare. I didn't worry about infection related to the paci specifically -- fact is, she's going to get exposed to all sorts of things in daycare, paci or not.

daisyd
03-16-2013, 09:07 PM
thanks Lizi and PZmommy, thats reassuring