PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use henna?

calv
03-16-2013, 11:38 AM
I'm tempted to use henna hair coloring. The Lush stuff is what got my mind wondering. Don't have a lot of grays but I'd like to start w/some minimal coloring. ;)

Anyone have experience? TIA!

brittone2
03-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Check over on makeupalley. I think there's a catch...like if you use henna, you can't dye over it with regular dye? I'm not sure.

We have a few Indian-American salons around, so I would go with one of those to minimize the mess/cleanup if I ever decided on Henna.

Globetrotter
03-16-2013, 12:41 PM
I used it for a few years. I went to an Indian woman who did it for me. No way would I have the patience! It was okay, but after a while those grey hairs turn reddish orange if you keep doing it. Mine were just reddish (I have black hair). Like PP said, you cannot use regular dye over henna.

It is a messy process. I would come home with it caked on and then have to leave it on for awhile and wash it off. It does leave their hair soft, though, which is nice, and I avoided chemical dyes for a few years.

Now I use Aveda and I'm happy with that.

calv
03-16-2013, 01:58 PM
reading all the reviews on Lushs' site and no doubt it sounds messy and time consuming. where/how do I find out who can do it?

please tell me more, what is Aveda?

Globetrotter
03-16-2013, 02:20 PM
For henna, do you have any indian salons or beauticians nearby?
Aveda is a chemical dye, but it's more natural and less harsh so one of the best options, IMO. See this: http://www.thedailygreen.com/living-green/blogs/organic-parenting/non-toxic-hair-dyes-55021302

nmosur
03-16-2013, 11:20 PM
Lush Henna has chemicals in it. I use henna (I go to a home salon to get it done) but was tempted by Lush's henna cake. After reading the ingredients I decided to stick to regular henna.

diamond
03-17-2013, 12:22 AM
i have a lot of grays and use henna. i have tried dyes (non ammonia based, not permenent and no ppd) but my head feels very heavy and my eyes water and i cannot do them. i have lots of grays so i use henna. i get it from here

http://www.mehandi.com/

get the one with the most lawsone content as my natural hair is almost black. i also do the indigo step after ward to make my hair black, just like commercial dye. it works for me and is safe. but i agree it is more work. but for now i have no choice and im ok.
i usually wash my hair in the morning (need oil free clean hair for henna), mix henna like at 4-5 pm in the evening with hot water and some lime juice( you need to add some acid for color release) and let it sit for 2-3-4 hours. after the kids go to bed and i am done eating etc.. put it on my hair with gloves, put saran wrap several rounds and sometimes a shower cap and go to bed. wash off in the morning. this works for me. if i cover my head well, no stains on my pillows at all. i do indigo mixed in cool water (hot water kills indigo dye), keep mix to incubate for 5 min, keep on hair and cover with saran wrap, keep for an hour atleast more if i have time and energy,-- makes my hair look dark, like new, soft and beautiful. i love the look after the effort.

i tried aveda salon at chinatown dc, the dye i thought was chemical free but it does have several chemicals, did nothing to color my hair, waste of my time, they refunded my money back. i think i dont remember feeling the heavyness, but no color either.

also i did do chemical dye alternate with henna (non ammonia based, not permenent and no ppd), it does not damage atleast my hair, so no problem. also i heard dont use metal spoon to mix henna etc... i use steel spoon to mix does not matter. in fact in india people mix in metal dishes , since we dont use glass/ ceramic at all. also it is cooling so minimise time on head in winter. in dia in summer it is tradition to keep henna on soles of feet to keep you cool. hth

newbiemom
03-17-2013, 11:09 AM
I use a brand from WHole Foods, called Light Mountain, which is completely natural henna, no chemicals at all. I used a shade that combines henna and indigo. I have dark hair with lots of grays. I find using henna gives my hair some nice-looking highlights.
Just a word of warning - it is EXTREMELY messy, and really does take hours,, but I find it's worth it to not use any chemicals and to hide my grays!

Globetrotter
03-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Some henna, esp. the black one, has added chemicals.

vonfirmath
03-17-2013, 11:57 PM
Here's a review I saw of a henna hair color recently:
http://inashoe.com/2013/03/guest-post-and-a-giveaway-henna/

buttercup
03-18-2013, 10:05 AM
I did use actual henna (bought online form a lady whose PhD was in Henna--excellent quality) for many years before i finally gave up. It is a huge mess, it requires a few hours at a time, and the henna itself is a actually a bit drying to the hair.
Gouing to an Indian salon would not have helped much as I still need to sit with the henna in my hair for the required amount of time.
I've since moved on to a 'natural" (not sure hwo natural it really is since it colors hair, but i am happy with it) color brand called Herbatint and I use their "henna red" color. they are very limited in colors they offer, but this one works great for me and has for several years. My mother uses the chestnut for her mostly gray hair.