PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in preschool gym class?

IansMom
03-16-2013, 06:57 PM
I am thinking of signing DS (age 4) up for classes this summer. What should I look for in a preschool gymnastics class? The first gym that I called said that we could come and observe but he couldnt participate. Is this the norm? (We did classes in the past at the Little Gym which has a free preview participatory class.). What should I look for in a good class? Are there any red flags that I need to be aware of? I am hoping he will improve his balance, strength and maybe learn basic tumbling. I am not expecting that he will go in to competitive gymnastics. TIA.

SnuggleBuggles
03-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Kids can't participate unless registered or on bring a friend day at the local gymnastics' place either and that doesn't bother me.

I looked for a recreational class vs anything team or competitive.

belovedgandp
03-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Depends on how their insurance is run. Most places I've been to (even gymnastics) have let you do a trial class as long as you sign a waiver. When you start taking a class they frequently have a separate insurance fee to pay.

At that age I definitely go for places that relate best to kids. Have a fun environment set reasonable expectations. Not the elite places that have traveling stars by age 6. I love the place my kids go to. It is definitely geared towards the younger ones with tons of classes for the 3-7 set but very little after that. The staff is good with kids and well qualified to show them what they do. One instructor I'm remembering I loved because she was so good at making sure every kid had a chance to be first and putting them back in the correct order while waiting in line. All with a nurturing touch, but such a skill for all the kids to be learning. 4 year olds can be all about racing to be first.

teresah00
03-16-2013, 09:49 PM
I've taught preschool gymnastics at three different gyms. At that age I like anything that gets the kids moving with limited sit down and listen. The first few classes sometimes needed a little more sitting still to explain rules and get the kids used to the routine. But after that I tried to give a quick explanation, usually one focus skill then add things on as they are moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wellyes
03-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Look for motivating instructors who are focused on fun. They should be gently encouraging with nervous kids, but also spend a little time correcting kids who are really engaged vs having it be tumbling free for all. All in a positive way, of course. ('try again, remember to keep your legs straight. Good!’)

Similarly, look for places that encourage kids to do the whole course. Many kids will want to run to the exciting bits - slides, swing ropes - while barely trying (or even skipping) skills like cartwheels and donkey kicks. But those skills are the meat of building strength. Basically make sure the instructor keeps control vs just having a tumbling play group. Play groups are fine but your goal is fitness. I really think gymnastics is great for kids this age, good prep for an active lifestyle and maybe sports down the road.

If there are more than 10 kids in the class I would expect 2 instructors.

Look for a place where kids don't spend a lot of time waiting in line or watching demonstrations.

Our gymnastics place does stretching and warmup, 10-15 minutes of the tumbling course, then 2 special other things like tumble track, trampoline, a low beams course or a higher beams course (I don't know the names, one you walk on for balance, one you hang on with your hands). I don't know if that's normal. But it's nice. Good variety every week. Classes for 4 year olds are 45 minutes, and they are moving just about the whole time.

wifecat
03-16-2013, 10:48 PM
At our gym (teaches toddlers through USAG Competitive Teams) you can always take a free class. I think that's a huge thing (and at our gym, you just sign a waiver to participate).

We took gymnastics at one facility that basically did a warm up and then gave the toddlers a 40 min circuit they were supposed to follow. End of instruction. They essentially followed an obstacle course that most would tire of in 10 minutes. UGH! They did not allow us to view or try out a class, so we were stuck paying for 10 weeks of crap classes that we'd been on a wait list to get in to!

The next place we went was better. The coaches were actively involved in instruction as they moved from on apparatus to another, but they made the 3 year olds sit and wait their turn every. single. time. So really, one kid was getting instruction on beam while 5 three-year-olds waited for five minutes for their turn. That uses up a LOT of gym time and doesn't get out the crazies.

3rd try was the charm. They warm up then do a rotation at an obstacle course, doing some skills on their own and some with the coach. Then they move through beam, bars/rings, sometimes vault, trampoline, and sometimes another floor activity (like barrel rolls or playing with the giant parachute). At beam and at bars and rings, there are several stations set up, so again, they are expected to do some skills alone (bear walk across the parallel bars, for example) and then they practice that a few times, then move on to donkey kicks on a floor bar or onto pullovers with a coach. There is not a lot of waiting time. There can be some, which is good, but it's not constant, which I think is SO important.

Sorry for the novel, but it's taken a lot for us to find the right place that's supportive, fun, and developmentally appropriate.

IansMom
03-18-2013, 10:40 AM
I had no idea the gyms would offer such different programs. I realize that the school I like most (which is also the one that doesnt allow a preview class) concentrates on tumbling and trampolining which is actually what I am interested in for DS. They do have open play times so I will check it out. Thank you all for sharing your experiences; it is very helpful.