PDA

View Full Version : Furniture: Bassett, Broyhill, or Stanley

geminimagk
03-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Can anyone provide me with insight on any of these brands, please? I am trying to figure out which is the best quality for bedroom furniture. We are ready to pull the trigger on a $4k Bassett set for the master bedroom, but I am having trouble finding any information online as to which is superior, as well as the relative price points.

I also don't have a store near me that has all 3, to compare. It's hard to ask the furniture salespeople b/c I don't know how honest they are being! Thank you.

Kindra178
03-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Which one is made in the US? I know all three were at one point and maybe still are. We love Stanley's YA line, so I am partial to Stanley. Do you have to get a bedroom set though? I feel as if every design show and mag I see nothing matches any more.

geminimagk
03-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Which one is made in the US? I know all three were at one point and maybe still are. We love Stanley's YA line, so I am partial to Stanley. Do you have to get a bedroom set though? I feel as if every design show and mag I see nothing matches any more.

I'm also wondering the same. YA is fantastic and that's what we're getting for our son's room, hence why I'm considering Stanley for us as well! But unfortunately the adult line is NOT made in the US, only YA is. Bassett is also manufactured overseas. I don't know about Broyhill, but since their website does not explicitly state it, I will assume it's not. Big sticking point for me, but it seems so difficult to find US-manufactured furniture nowadays.

Regarding matching....really? I should look up some pictures. I don't like the look of an upholstered headboard, so that's why I'm considering wood. And I feel like wood pieces should match....no?

Kindra178
03-17-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm also wondering the same. YA is fantastic and that's what we're getting for our son's room, hence why I'm considering Stanley for us as well! But unfortunately the adult line is NOT made in the US, only YA is. Bassett is also manufactured overseas. I don't know about Broyhill, but since their website does not explicitly state it, I will assume it's not. Big sticking point for me, but it seems so difficult to find US-manufactured furniture nowadays.

Regarding matching....really? I should look up some pictures. I don't like the look of an upholstered headboard, so that's why I'm considering wood. And I feel like wood pieces should match....no?

Check houzz.com on bedrooms.

WatchingThemGrow
03-17-2013, 08:46 AM
We like our YA stuff. We have Kincaid for our bedroom. Not sure where it's made, but we liked the style and the construction is fine.

marymoo86
03-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Stanley - hands down. Bassett and Broyhill are lower mid tier furniture brands and Stanley is upper mid tier.

It is better constructed and therefore higher priced.

I have both Stanley and Broyhill and the difference in quality is incredible.

geminimagk
03-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Stanley - hands down. Bassett and Broyhill are lower mid tier furniture brands and Stanley is upper mid tier.

Thank you. That's helpful.

crl
03-17-2013, 10:43 AM
If you really want made in America, you could look around for someone who makes furniture. Our local flea market regularly has a couple of vendors who make furniture from reclaimed wood locally. They will make custom too. Alternatively unfinished wood stores will often stock lines that are made in America and will also often take custom orders. They will also generally finish to your specifications for an additional charge.

And I will second the time suck that is Houzz. :love-retry: I have never been a huge fan of matching anyway, both aethesticically and practically. If the pieces match and just one gets damaged or you move and just one doesn't fit sizewise anymore, then you don't have a matched set anymore. I think it's better just to be deliberately not matched to start with. But that also suits my style, as I like a collected and somewhat eclectic look.

Catherine

ETA
Here's an example of a bedroom with different wood pieces: http://www.houzz.com/photos/206998/Urrutia-Design-contemporary-bedroom-san-francisco. Another way people often do this is to have a painted piece or two. And an iron headboard is always a nice possibility if you like the non-matched look.

shawnandangel
03-17-2013, 11:01 AM
We bought Bassett for our daughter when she was born and it was a huge disappointment. Apparently 100% wood description doesn't include the back of the dresser which is particle board, or the shelves on the changing table which are also particle board.

I've been researching Amish made furniture this time around. Do a google search for Amish baby furniture. There's some really beautiful stuff. (Where vendors buy directly from Amish and then sell on their website). My MIL and I are planning on going to some Amish neighborhoods here soon to see if I can get some locally made to cut out the middle man.

jenstring95
03-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Our dining room furniture is from Bassett, and the top of the table is particle board (I think, or some sort of pressed wood) with some awful laminate covering it. The laminate started peeling off a couple years after we got it. We had no idea it was laminate, although I should have realized it when they said I could clean it with water but not furniture polish. We had to have the hutch delivered 3 times because the first 2 times there was a big chunk out of part of it. We have found their customer service to be seriously lacking. We went into the store to inquire about getting the table fixed, and they said since we didn't purchase the protection plan there was nothing they could do for us - even if we paid to have it fixed. In short, we will never buy from them again.

We also have a Broyhill bedroom set, and it has not held up particularly well. A couple of the drawers have broken, and the hardward falls off of others. Not impressed with that brand either.

westwoodmom04
03-17-2013, 01:05 PM

I've heard the same. We have Young America for our kids. We looked at Stanley for our bedroom furniture years ago, but wound up going with a smaller company that has since gone out of business. Their customer service for kids stuff is very good.

bostonsmama
03-17-2013, 02:50 PM
We have 2 Kincaid bedroom suites, one in solid mahogany (4 poster bed, highboy, lowboy double, mirror & 2 stands) and one in solid maple with a cherry finish (sleigh bed, highboy, lowboy double, mirror, our own non-matching nightstands). We also bought our dining room suite from Kincaid. At the time, everything but the upholstered chairs (from the Chateau Royale collection) were made in America. It's superior craftsmanship, not the fit & finish of Stickley, which my parents have 3 collections of, but as close as possible and well priced for the quality. I hate veneers and particle board. Our stuff is solid and lovely. It's truly withstood the test of time (7 years, 11 years and 16 years strong).

geminimagk
03-17-2013, 03:27 PM
We have 2 Kincaid bedroom suites, one in solid mahogany (4 poster bed, highboy, lowboy double, mirror & 2 stands) and one in solid maple with a cherry finish (sleigh bed, highboy, lowboy double, mirror, our own non-matching nightstands). We also bought our dining room suite from Kincaid. At the time, everything but the upholstered chairs (from the Chateau Royale collection) were made in America. It's superior craftsmanship, not the fit & finish of Stickley, which my parents have 3 collections of, but as close as possible and well priced for the quality. I hate veneers and particle board. Our stuff is solid and lovely. It's truly withstood the test of time (7 years, 11 years and 16 years strong).

Thanks.

I have found a store 1.5 hour away that carries Stanley, Kincaid, and several other higher-end brands. I plan to visit later this week.

gatorsmom
03-17-2013, 06:43 PM

I agree with this. While I wouldn't say Bassett is in the lower tier, it's definitely mid level. It's made in the USA. I say it's not top tier though, because the wood our bedroom set is make out of is very soft. It dents very easily. And the upholstered furniture we have has not held up well. Of course it really has taken a beating in the last 13 years.

All of our furniture is Bassett because we buy it through Direct Buy and it always seems to suit mine and DH's style. Through Direct Buy we pay half price for their furniture. Otherwise, I'd have a hard time paying full price for their furniture. I have no experience with Stanley or broyhill.

kerridean
03-17-2013, 07:40 PM
I second buying from Amish furniture stores. They will usually ship for a reasonable price. The furniture is always 100% wood, quality made, and made in the USA.

cntrymoon2
03-18-2013, 01:30 AM
Thanks.

I have found a store 1.5 hour away that carries Stanley, Kincaid, and several other higher-end brands. I plan to visit later this week.

See if they carry Aspen Home- we bought an Aspen Home bedroom set and loved it so much that we furnished the rest of the house in it. It's absolutely fantastic quality and a very, very reasonable price point. The catch is the collections are somewhat small and it can be hard to find in person.

teresah00
03-18-2013, 09:35 AM
I agree with this. While I wouldn't say Bassett is in the lower tier, it's definitely mid level. It's made in the USA. I say it's not top tier though, because the wood our bedroom set is make out of is very soft. It dents very easily. And the upholstered furniture we have has not held up well. Of course it really has taken a beating in the last 13 years.

All of our furniture is Bassett because we buy it through Direct Buy and it always seems to suit mine and DH's style. Through Direct Buy we pay half price for their furniture. Otherwise, I'd have a hard time paying full price for their furniture. I have no experience with Stanley or broyhill.

Did you compare prices with local stores? We are members too and looking for master br furniture. I know they carry Stanley bc I was looking at bunk beds for my boys but got them off CL instead. Any other brands you considered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geminimagk
03-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Update: We decided on Kincaid furniture. It is solid wood, no veneers, and certain sets (including the Somerset, which we chose) is made in the US. And it was right in our budget! And we bought it from Furnitureland South (NC). Very excited!

WatchingThemGrow
03-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Yay! We got our Kincaid set from FLS as well! I can't wait to see that set when I get a chance to look it up!

geminimagk
03-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Yay! We got our Kincaid set from FLS as well! I can't wait to see that set when I get a chance to look it up!

How great! Which set do you have?

WatchingThemGrow
03-25-2013, 02:06 PM
We have the Colonnade set http://www.hickorypark.com/furniture/shopbedroom.php/Colonnade-Bedroom-Collection-by-KINCAID/index.php