PDA

View Full Version : Consignment Sales/Stores SF Bay Area

94bruin
03-17-2013, 12:09 PM
I'm getting ready to purge a lot of baby / toddler stuff. I've been slowly selling some stuff on CL. I did some web searches and saw that there are some big consignment sales in the area: Just Between Friends (San Mateo) and Outrageous Outgrowns (Santa Clara).

Anyone have any experience as a buyer or seller at these sales?

I also saw what looks like a nice store up in the city - Chloe's Closet. I'm thinking of making a trek up there to sell my higher end items. Or does it not really matter?

Anyone btdt?

crl
03-17-2013, 12:31 PM
I have sold stuff at Chloe's closet. Mostly clothes. You can wait for them to sort through your stuff or you can dump it all and have them donate what they don't want. You can also come back for what doesn't sell or have them donate it. You can take store credit or a check in the mail. They don't have any restrictions on brands.

I felt like what I got back was fair. When I had big lots of smaller sizes I felt like I did better on CL, but that's more work.

If you go with a sale, make sure you document what you consign. I had an entire consignment "disappear" from a big well know consignment sale on the east coast and the sale owners did nothing to resolve the situation.

Catherine

avd3875
03-17-2013, 01:06 PM
I've also sold at Chloe's Closet. In general, when I've gone in with two giant shopping bags of clothes, they take about 1/2 of one bag. I take the store credit, since that's a higher amount than a check. Because the shop is so small they're very picky about season and style, so cold weather clothes likely wouldn't be accepted at this time of year.

I've planned to do the JBF sale, but haven't done it yet. There was one last weekend, so the next one probably won't be until around October. I have a friend who consigns all the time, and she's done pretty well with JBF.

94bruin
03-19-2013, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can fit in a trip up the city to see if I can unload some of my stuff.

I'm very curious about these large consignment sales. It's an interesting way to get rid of a lot of stuff, but it seems like a lot of work to tag your stuff...