PDA

View Full Version : totally random: bathrobes ??

eagle
03-17-2013, 09:39 PM
do you wear bathrobes? how do you wear them? i can see stepping out of the shower, putting one on, then using it while using the blow dryer, then stepping into your clothes, but i dont blow dry my hair, so it seems pointless, when i just step out, towel myself off and then put on my clothes.

i was wondering all this because i was on the marks and spencer site and i saw these cute "dressing gowns" (bathrobes) for kids but with my kid, i just towel him off and put him in his jammies at night.

do you wear them in the morning while you eat your cereal and toast?

just curious!! thanks for enlightening me. i always learn so much here...

queenmama
03-17-2013, 09:48 PM
I wear a robe... uh... way too many hours out of my day. I've been kind of a shut-in this winter, staying home with DD and trying not to get sick.

Ironically, I never wear it right out of the shower. I can't stand the feel of clothes when I'm still "moist" (eww) so I will dry off, do my whole bedtime routine, then get dressed in pjs.

My robe is actually one I've commandeered from DH, a cozy chamois plaid from LL Bean. He has another one and matching pants so I don't feel bad. And this one (yes, I'm in it now) has his -- our -- last name monogrammed so I tell him to prove it isn't mine. ;)

Lara

baymom
03-17-2013, 09:49 PM
We have bathrobes that we very rarely use, but when we do, it's how you described--to do hair, ect before putting on clothes, after a shower. They were free on a honeymoon cruise many years ago and super thick/great quality. I would never have actually bought them for myself. When the kids were younger, they had a pair for after swimming. More often, the four of us use regular plush cozy robes over pajamas in the morning during breakfast, ect just to stay toasty on a cold weekend morning without changing into day clothes.

kaharris83
03-17-2013, 09:51 PM
I wore DHs both times I was in the hospital after delivery to keep warm. That's the only time either of us has worn it. :)

abh5e8
03-17-2013, 09:54 PM
the dc and I have fleece robes. we wear them sometimes over jamies if we are cold at night or breakfast. i actually keep mine with my maternity clothes, as i wear it so much post partum, that then i'm sick of it. its a nice soft fleece from the gap. one of the best gifts ever, a sweet friend brought to me in the hospital when ds#2 was born

ett
03-17-2013, 10:13 PM
I only wear my bathrobe in the morning before I change into my clothes.

SnuggleBuggles
03-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Never wear one. Eta- I do wear it occasionally, like while getting ready for a party or date. Wore it labor too. But, really not a wardrobe staple.

barkley1
03-17-2013, 10:18 PM
I wear mine every day! After showering, I dry off In the bathroom where it's warm, then put on my robe to go pick out my clothes. I also wear it over my pajamas to keep warm in the mornings if I'm not showering or dressing right away, in the middle of the night if DC wake up (again, to keep warm), and over my t shirt for modesty since I don't wear a bra to bed, when DSSs are with us.

I have no idea why kids would need one, though. I have a hand me down for DS, but the only thing we've done w it is make a king costume for bible school, ha!

wifecat
03-17-2013, 10:25 PM
I got a really big, soft, spa-like on from Victoria's Secret once. I wanted to be that person who wore it. Maybe after the shower, while I sipped coffee on Sunday mornings and did the crossword.

I wore it maybe twice, and both times I was just sort of waiting to get dressed in order to wear it instead. It went to Goodwill. Hopefully someone else is better at enjoying it than me!

ilfaith
03-17-2013, 10:36 PM
I have a big thick terry cloth robe that I wear when I get out of the shower...in fact, this morning I realized I had forgotten to replace the towels I had put in the laundry yesterday, so I pretty much used the robe to dry myself. I don't wear the robe for long, because it really is big and bulky, and the long full sleeves make it awkward for me to wear when drying my hair. So my robe seldom gets worn outside my bathroom and bedroom.

I also own a couple of short satiny VS-type robes, that I probably got for my bridal shower. They rarely get worn. I just don't have a lot of time to lounge around in a nighty. I also have a thin modal robe I got from Target that I wore in the hospital (and at home) right after DS2 and DS3 were born, so I could look semi-presentable when visitors came.

happymom
03-17-2013, 11:12 PM
Back in the day when we did not have a master bath, we used to use bathrobes to walk from the bathroom to our bedroom after showering. Now that we do have a master bath, we just walk out of the bathroom wrapped in a towel so our robes do not get used anymore.

doberbrat
03-17-2013, 11:36 PM
I have no idea why kids would need one, though. I have a hand me down for DS, but the only thing we've done w it is make a king costume for bible school, ha!

To keep warm! I have dd1 get into her pjs before dinner and if she's cold, she puts on her robe. same for dd2. I often get into my nightgown when I put dd2 to bed, but later get cold and need my robe.

wellyes
03-18-2013, 12:11 AM
DD has one because she takes ages to get dressed and would freeze otherwise.
DS doesn't have one because he still gets dressed by me, right after being toweled off.

I just wear a towel while I get dressed.

s7714
03-18-2013, 01:41 AM
I have several, ranging from silky material to a long sleeve full length fleece one. I do wear them all the time, but for various reasons. Honestly the most common reason is after showering to keep DS (2 years old) from poking me in the butt constantly or wanting to poke at my belly button or grab my breasts. :bag Seriously he's got a thing for being all touchy when I'm in the buff and it drives me up the wall.

Other frequent reasons are if DS wakes up in the middle of the night it's chilly getting out of my nice warm bed! If I have to go downstairs prior to dressing, and especially if we have company, to provide a little extra modesty to my braless self. And after I shower to either provide warmth or if I need to run out to deal with a DC before I get dressed.

ETA: Both my DDs have them and wear them either as a jacket of sorts around the house when they're cold or after a bath if they don't want to get dressed right away.

JdrKuhnert
03-18-2013, 05:51 AM
We all wear them for warmth. During the winter, the boys wear them over their PJs in the mornings for breakfast and also in the evenings.

klwa
03-18-2013, 06:55 AM
Never wear one. DH has a bathrobe that he'll wear sometimes, but usually it's too warm for him to wrap up in. I know he's sick if he puts it on.

hellokitty
03-18-2013, 07:11 AM
We all wear them for warmth. During the winter, the boys wear them over their PJs in the mornings for breakfast and also in the evenings.

Same here. We have the minky ones that are super soft and snuggly. I used to have a fleece one, but I like my minky one better, so donated my fleece one. I had a terry bathrobe back in my communal bathroom days at the dorms, but haven't used one since then. I also have a shorter length thicker robe that I rarely use anymore, but have found it useful as a swim coverup on cold days, it has a hood on it too, which is handy.

pastrygirl
03-18-2013, 08:13 AM
I wear one after toweling off, while I brush my teeth and do other things. Getting dressed is the last thing I do before going downstairs, and I like to be completely dry to do it. If I'm really hungry for breakfast, I'll go downstairs in my robe. I can't stand polyester against my skin when I'm wet, so it has to be a cotton terry bathrobe. I also keep bathrobes in my bedroom for if I get up at night and we have guests or something, but most of them are polyester because it's near impossible to find cotton. I have a silky poly one and a minky one, and a knee-length thin terry.

My boys' are cotton terry but they never use theirs. My husband has a flannel robe for when we travel.

123LuckyMom
03-18-2013, 08:15 AM
I went to boarding school in England. We all used terry cloth robes instead of towels. You'd use a towel for wet hair. In the bath room, which had a heated towel bar and was warm, you might leisurely dry off with a towel, but otherwise, a robe was best for instant drying, instant warmth, and general covering up. Remember, lots of kids board in England. We wore our robes all the time.

cvanbrunt
03-18-2013, 08:44 AM
I have a terry cloth robe that I use instead of a towel. I put it on right out of the shower and wrap my hair in a towel. I wander around in that until I dry my hair and get dressed.

JBaxter
03-18-2013, 09:06 AM
LOL I wear mine all the time. I have to drive Nathan to school every day and I rarely get dressed. I stick on my robe get in the van drive the 1.5 miles to school drive home. I have the thin robes that match my night gowns.

Pennylane
03-18-2013, 09:07 AM
I've had the same Gap robe for 12 years. It was a gift from my DH and is cozy and fits so well! I only wear it after I shower, while drying my hair and putting on makeup. My DS recently got one and he wears his over his pjs's before bed and when he wakes up in the morning. It is so cute on him.

Ann