PDA

View Full Version : 3 baby gifts at work--must they all be "equal"?

lalasmama
03-17-2013, 11:38 PM
I'm leaving my job after 5 years. This is my last week. There's 3 ladies that are 21-23 weeks pregnant. I'm closer with 1 than the other 2. She's been "my" doc to work with for the last 2 years. We tend to see eye-to-eye on a lot, and she's more "crunchy" like me. The other two are more mainstream, and I've just always butted heads with them more.

So, I'm going to buy baby gifts for each of them this week, and realized I may have a bit of an issue. For my friend, I wanted to do a Moby wrap or A&A blankets, etc ($50 or so). The other two, I was thinking a cute outfit or such, maybe $10-15 each. We all work in the same office, and there's a fair assumption that each will hear what the others received.

Do I need to spend the same on each of them? Or is it okay to spend more on the one I am closer to??

AshleyAnn
03-17-2013, 11:42 PM
I think its fine to spend more on the one you're closer to. If the other 2 aren't crunchy they may not realize the cost difference of the gifts.

Tondi G
03-17-2013, 11:43 PM
I don't think it's an issue. I would buy each of them whatever you feel like buying them. There is no rule that says the monetary value of each gift has to be the same. Even if they heard what each other got from you.... how often are you going to see them? If they complain that they got an outfit and someone else got some blankets then they will only sound greedy! You aren't obligated to give them anything so I think it is nice of you to give them a gift to celebrate their little one.

Like you said, you are closer to the one person so I don't see anything wrong with giving her something a little nicer.

magnoliaparadise
03-18-2013, 12:10 AM
I agree that you don't need to give them each a gift. You are being very generous to give the second two colleagues gifts in the first place and are not obliged, especially since you are leaving. So do what feels right.

belovedgandp
03-18-2013, 12:24 AM
If you are closer to the one colleague and plan on meeting up in the weeks between leaving and babytime, I might just wait with only that gift. I'd understand giving all three a gift if you were working with them when the babies came, but since you'll be leaving I might not worry about the other two at all.

klwa
03-18-2013, 07:01 AM
I think its fine to spend more on the one you're closer to. If the other 2 aren't crunchy they may not realize the cost difference of the gifts.

:yeahthat:

Momit
03-18-2013, 07:05 AM
Definitely ok to do unequal gifts. It's not uncommon at all.

mikala
03-18-2013, 08:14 AM
I agree with this.

spannaz
03-18-2013, 09:13 AM
I think it's totally ok. I'll echo PP and say that if the ones with the cute outfits gripe about someone getting a 'better' gift then they will just sound petty. Buy whatever you like :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk