PDA

View Full Version : Weber Genesis Grill.. do I want a side burner?

kwc
03-18-2013, 02:01 AM
DH thinks he wants a grill for his birthday... we have a gas hookup on our deck, right behind the kitchen. I'm looking at the Weber Genesis... do I want a side burner? Does it actually get used? Again, the kitchen is close by... I know you are standing near the grill for sometime but would I really cook on that side burner?

TIA!

hellokitty
03-18-2013, 07:15 AM
We have a side burner on our 13 yr old weber and have only ever used it a few times. I don't think we'd get it again.

vludmilla
03-18-2013, 07:24 AM
We also have a Weber Genesis grill with the side burner. Our set up is like yours too with the deck and gas hook up right off the kitchen. We have used the side burner but not much. I don't think it is worth the extra money.

123LuckyMom
03-18-2013, 08:03 AM
I agree. No side burner. We have one and never use it.

ncat
03-18-2013, 08:07 AM
We have only used our side burner once

kaharris83
03-18-2013, 08:09 AM
We have one with no side burner. Never missed it.

KHF
03-18-2013, 08:39 AM
I have one and never used it. I'd get the model without if I was purchasing again.

billysmommy
03-18-2013, 08:52 AM
If you cook a lot of shellfish/lobster in the summer it's well worth it. We have steamers, mussels, lobster, etc a few times a week and whenever we have people over and I love not having to cook them in the house! I will throw corn on outside sometimes too but we usually just grill that.

Kindra178
03-18-2013, 09:01 AM
We have a side burner on our 13 yr old weber and have only ever used it a few times. I don't think we'd get it again.

Everyone I know who has the side burner says the exact same thing. But I totally want one. I like to saute onions or mushrooms to be used on burgers. It would also be nice to make macaroni salad or some other side while grilling. My set up is such that I have to go in the house, up the stairs to get to my stove.

elbenn
03-18-2013, 09:27 AM
I used to have a Weber Genesis grill with a sideburner and only used it a couple of times. I now have a grill without a sideburner and I don't miss it at all.

khm
03-18-2013, 10:06 AM
We don't use ours. But like a PP said, I can see how some would. Our kitchen is right off the deck, but if we had to go up steps or something, I'd guess we'd use it more.

squimp
03-18-2013, 10:20 AM
If you cook a lot of shellfish/lobster in the summer it's well worth it. We have steamers, mussels, lobster, etc a few times a week and whenever we have people over and I love not having to cook them in the house! I will throw corn on outside sometimes too but we usually just grill that.

Yep this would be my reason. We bought a Weber about 6 years after our other brand one died, it has been terrific.

kwc
03-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Thanks ladies! Great to wake up to so many replies!
I am the only shellfish lover in the family, so I think we'll skip the side burner.

ABO Mama
03-18-2013, 11:59 AM
We don't have one and don't see the need. DH BBQ's all the time.

codex57
03-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Never used it. Don't think it works anymore.

Recently got a smoker. Now that is an awesome thing to have. Got a Traeger which can grill so that's replaced the pure grill for the most part.

hellokitty
03-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Everyone I know who has the side burner says the exact same thing. But I totally want one. I like to saute onions or mushrooms to be used on burgers. It would also be nice to make macaroni salad or some other side while grilling. My set up is such that I have to go in the house, up the stairs to get to my stove.

Yeah, dh said the same thing, that he'd cook onions and mushrooms on it, and he's done it only once, lol. I think we boiled corn on it once and basically, that's it. We have to go up the stairs, and through the garage, into the mud room and into the kitchen. Instead dh has found that having a our gas weber and also a charcoal weber (smoky joe) and that has ended up being a better match, than the extra side burner.

bostonsmama
03-18-2013, 02:51 PM
I love it for the few times a year we deep fry stuff and don't want to risk sending the whole kitchen up in flames. Or, sometimes we cook something stinky that I don't want the whole house to smell of, so I make DH sautee or boil it out there. I love ours, but we don't have a super fancy Weber Genesis. Just the other day DH made these amazing burgers and sauteed jalepeno slices in a cast iron skillet on the side burner. It releases all kinds of spicy off-gasses, but when they're done, they're as sweet as bell peppers. Anyways, it was nice not to choke and cough while that was going on. DH has also boiled down marinades on the side burner to rebaste cooked meat towards the end.

I'm in the minority, I suppose, but I find our essential. If it were a $200 option, I'd learn to live without it. :lol:

indigo99
03-18-2013, 05:37 PM

:yeahthat:

hbridge
03-18-2013, 05:53 PM
The side burner is also great when the power goes out ...

EllasMum
03-18-2013, 08:56 PM
I know OP has already made her decision, but I read this thread and couldn't not reply. My parents bought a new Weber grill a few years back and my dad pushed for the extra burner. My mom thought it was a waste of money but my dad went for it. They now say it is the single best feature of the grill! They love it for frying up mushrooms for steaks, frying potatoes or any other veggie in oil so it doesn't splatter up the kitchen... They use it basically every time they grill! I just found it interesting to see how many people said they never use theirs!

I think my mom likes it mainly because whenever my dad grills, he does the dishes. :D

pantone292
03-18-2013, 09:10 PM
The side burner is also great when the power goes out ...

I totally agree. If I could do it again I'd get the side burner just for this reason.

HannaAddict
03-19-2013, 02:37 AM
We have one on our Weber Genesis and have never used us. Add us to the chorus! Love the grill though.

glbb35
03-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Even though the decision is made I will say that we LOVE ours. Instead of stinking up the house with the smell of bacon, seafood, sausages etc... inside your house, DH uses it all the time to cook that stuff as he is sensitive to smells lingering in houses all day even though we have an exhaust fan that will suck out the kitchen. DH also has this thing about cooking in your kitchen in the summer time. He thinks it is plain silly. Heat up the whole kitchen while it is 100 degrees outside and then run the air conditioners all day to cool the space back down. I used to roll my eyes but he is right. Summers here are hot and humid and it really doesn't make sense. Plus your house doesn't smell like food. And before we got a generator, we used it when everyone else was eating sandwiches when the power would go out for days.

I think it is worth the investment. But to each her/his own.

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 11