PDA

View Full Version : Does Post nasal drip cause acid reflux symptoms?

Melaine
03-18-2013, 12:07 PM
I feel like I've heard this but just curious. I've been having sinus infection symptoms for a couple months now. For the last couple weeks I've had this "lump in my throat" feeling with some weird burping. Googling it brings up acid reflux and a symptom of anxiety both of which are equally possible. I'm just curious if you have had sinus issues causing acid reflux flares or if they are unrelated?

Philly Mom
03-18-2013, 12:32 PM
I was told it was the opposite. Acid reflux causes sinus congestion. In my teens-twenties, I had a sinus infection almost every month or so. I went to an ENT, and he diagnosed me with acid reflux and put me on nexium or something like it. I took it for about a year and then outgrew/stopped getting sinus infections.

Melaine
03-18-2013, 12:36 PM
That is what I am seeing with google. It's just I had the sinus infection symptoms before the lump in the throat sensation so I guess I could just have two separate conditions. I was hoping that I could get rid of the sinus infection and in turn have relief from the AR symptoms. With my luck I will be stuck with both....ugh. Thanks!

MSWR0319
03-18-2013, 12:37 PM
I was told it was the opposite. Acid reflux causes sinus congestion. In my teens-twenties, I had a sinus infection almost every month or so. I went to an ENT, and he diagnosed me with acid reflux and put me on nexium or something like it. I took it for about a year and then outgrew/stopped getting sinus infections.

:yeahthat: I had chronic sinusitis for about 2 years and we just thought it was my allergies. They finally figured out it was from acid reflux that was caused by a beef allergy. I was on Nexium for awhile and was able to go off of it about 5 years ago. I haven't had more than the occasional heartburn since. And my sinus infections are now few and far between. I get the lump in my throat when my reflux is flaring. In fact, mine is so bad it sometimes makes my heart race. Once I treat the reflux it all goes away.

Aishe
03-18-2013, 12:40 PM

:yeahthat: Except that I still don't have my GERD under control.:(

Philly Mom
03-18-2013, 12:44 PM
That is what I am seeing with google. It's just I had the sinus infection symptoms before the lump in the throat sensation so I guess I could just have two separate conditions. I was hoping that I could get rid of the sinus infection and in turn have relief from the AR symptoms. With my luck I will be stuck with both....ugh. Thanks!

I would guess that the lump is because you are having severe AR. I had no real symptoms of AR at the time. The MD could see it when he scoped me. I had severe AR the last two years, pregnancy and a year after giving birth. I had my first two sinus infections in years during the time. I now have the AR under control again, no more medication and no more sinus infections.

Melaine
03-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Is there anything I can take over the counter while nursing for reflux?

TwoBees
03-18-2013, 12:58 PM
I think that reflux can mimic postnasal drip.

Aishe
03-18-2013, 01:24 PM

I believe Prilosec is considered safe for nursing.

Tondi G
03-18-2013, 02:53 PM

Prilosec, Prevacid and Zantac should all be fine. I think Tagamet too.