PDA

View Full Version : How many times a day is normal for pooping?

janine
03-18-2013, 02:31 PM
My DD is 16 mo old is about 24lbs, so at a healthy weight, but poops 2-3 times a day! I'm not overly worried as I assume it's better than not pooping, but is it ok?

My mom (who watches her often) says it's because she eats alot...hope so. Not fun for diaper changes though.

MommyAllison
03-18-2013, 03:35 PM
My 16 month old is the same - especially on days when she has more fruit and less bread/rice/whatever carb. Totally fine - though I agree, not so fun on the diaper changing!

wellyes
03-18-2013, 03:51 PM
2-3 sounds normal and healthy.

AustenFan
03-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Sounds normal to me, too.

janine
03-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Thanks ladies, I thought it was probably fine, but 3 consistently seemed like a lot. Guess it's the fruit! :)

mypa
03-18-2013, 09:07 PM
When my DD was around that age she pooped 3-6 x's/day! There was probably a year when I didn't go out much because of how frequently she pooped. DD was a eater and a pooper. Now, DS on the other hand was not a good eater and only pooped every 5-7 days. Both I was told my the ped that it was in the normal range.

Now, when DD would poop more on the 6x's/day range I would be extra gently wiping her and sometimes just wash her butt (poop and all!) in the sink as her bottom would get pretty irritated and the water felt better on her. Always followed with bleach spray in the sink.

barkley1
03-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Oh MAN we are in the same boat. Dd (18 month) eats allllll day, and poops as much as your dd! I'm wondering how in the world is potty training going to go with all these poops? We'll never leave the house, lol! Dd gets diaper rash way more than DS did, and I think it's bc she poops so much - even though I always change it right away.

mypa
03-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Oh MAN we are in the same boat. Dd (18 month) eats allllll day, and poops as much as your dd! I'm wondering how in the world is potty training going to go with all these poops? We'll never leave the house, lol! Dd gets diaper rash way more than DS did, and I think it's bc she poops so much - even though I always change it right away.

I do want to say now that my DD is 4yo she no longer poops so frequently (1-2x's/day), it will not last last forever. Hang in there, it will get better!

basil
03-20-2013, 11:32 AM
My DS is 3x/day pooper too (19 months). First thing in the AM right when he wakes up (I LOVE how I get to change a poo diaper as my first activity of the day), then mid-morning, and often in the afternoon or after dinner.

He eats a ton of berries and fruits. Better than being blocked up I guess!

Philly Mom
03-20-2013, 11:50 AM
DD, almost 20 months, poops a minimum of 2X but normally 3-4X. I always thought it was a good thing. She eats a complete diet.

janine
03-20-2013, 03:26 PM
My DS is 3x/day pooper too (19 months). First thing in the AM right when he wakes up (I LOVE how I get to change a poo diaper as my first activity of the day), then mid-morning, and often in the afternoon or after dinner.

He eats a ton of berries and fruits. Better than being blocked up I guess!

LOL, same here! I used to change her first thing but no more because like clockwork a poop will come soon after waking.