PDA

View Full Version : Differences in parenting or Why I come here for parenting advice

katydid1971
03-18-2013, 04:02 PM
A friend just posted this on FB today. FWIW her DS is shorter than mine who is only 4'4". This is why I come here for parenting advice not FB:
I am so excited- in one week my (DS's name) turns 8 and the best part is I will be down to only ONE child in a car seat for our family! I know they keep the kids safer but I HATE dealing with car seats. When we were kids you could load 10 kids in the back of a pick-up or stuff a station wagon when you had a slumber party or Girl Scouts. I hate making sure the seats are installed properly and then you switch cars and forget to grab the seats or if you carpool you have to make sure you have car seats for all the kids- ugghhh. I will be doing a 'happy dance' next week.

SnuggleBuggles
03-18-2013, 04:04 PM
My friend said the same thing when her kid turned 8! I told her that I was keeping ds1 boostered b/c the seat belt still cut across his neck and I didn't want him decapitated. ;) She didn't care about my logic. Sigh. eta- 4'9" is my goal.

belovedgandp
03-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Double ugh, I do not get it. Plus by 8 you are dealing with boosters. Compared to doing an infant seat those are so simple.

GaPeach_in_Ca
03-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Well, my 8 year old isn't using a booster anymore. Guess I don't belong here. :)

elektra
03-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Well since she said she knows is safer, not sure if it will make much of a difference to say anything.
The only time I have given advice in a similar situation was when I knew the mom had no idea of the safety issues or laws (she was asking if the Nautilus was a good next seat for her 9mo DS).

Carseats can definitely seem like a PITA, especially for carpooling so I sort of feel her pain, but am choosing to try to hang in there longer!

JBaxter
03-18-2013, 04:21 PM
The BBB is different than the majority of the parents. I did let mine out of his booster at 8 he was I think 4' 7" Nearly all the the 4 yr olds at Jack's preschool are in belted high back boosters as were the Maryland preschool. ( Jack is also) I think the law was 8yrs & 60lbs in our last state but said nothing about height.

westwoodmom04
03-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Well, my 8 year old isn't using a booster anymore. Guess I don't belong here. :)

Mine either:)

crl
03-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Probably won't change anyone's mind, but you could always post a link to the five step test: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9009. Thanks for the reminder, by the way; my nine year old has been bugging me to stop using a booster and I told him I would look up the test again and if he meets it, he can ditch his boosters. I don't think he will, but he is a tall kid and it doesn't hurt to check.

Catherine

Kindra178
03-18-2013, 04:34 PM
I thought the recs for boosters are 8 AND 58 inches. My 6.75 year old is 50 inches, but I doubt he is going to grow 8 inches in two years. So in the meantime, he will be boostered. What's weird about that fb post is that kids can do the buckling and unbuckling of boosters themselves, unlike ds1 who still can't get out of the Frontier buckle completely yet. That's an even greater reason to keep a kid boostered.

AnnieW625
03-18-2013, 04:36 PM

8, or 60 is our current state law right now here in CA so I know my DD1 will be in one until she is at least 8 and while I would prefer 8 and 60 as the bare minimum in my car I know that at least when DD1 is 8 if for some reason I forget a booster for a play date I know at 8 she will be legal to ride in a car without a booster in an emergency or very random last minute play date situation.

My current plan is to booster until at least 9 (when I anticipate DD1 might hit 60lbs), but would prefer 10. I do not criticize others choices as long as they are following the state's law.

squimp
03-18-2013, 04:54 PM
It depends on the state - ours is "or". So lots of people stopped using boosters at age 8! My DD is 9 and very tall (4'10") and passes the 5-point test, so she stopped wearing one, but she still has friends who are her age but are well under 4'9" and don't use one. Many of her friends that are shorter than she is sit in the front seat too, which just makes me shake my head. Some of these adults don't wear bike helmets because they are just too cool, so I have learned to bite my tongue.

From our state website:
"Children over forty pounds or who have reached the upper weight limit for their forward-facing carseat must use boosters to 4'9" tall or age eight and the adult belt fits correctly."

KrisM
03-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Ours is 'or' as well and I know quite a few of DS1's friends don't use them and they are a few inches too short. We've tried DS1 a couple times just to show him why he's in a booster and he gets it. He has asked to go to no back and suggested maybe at 9 he could. I'm good with that and next month we can do it.

So far, none of his friends have questioned me at all when I have them in a booster in my car :).

Robyn0204
03-18-2013, 07:07 PM

Mine either. She was in a booster until a few months ago however now when she sits in the booster in our van the shoulder belt falls too low and slides off her shoulder. It fits her better not in the booster. We are in Japan, maybe the size of the car is the difference?

BayGirl2
03-18-2013, 07:21 PM

But are they not in a booster because you made a conscious decision that they are safe enough for your standards without one given their size and fit in your car (i.e. 5 step test)? Or are they not in a booster because 1. you aren't aware that there's a safer option for some 8 year olds or 2. you know they'd be safer but just stated publicly that you don't care because your own convenience trumps safety?

For most people on the BBB its the first, they are aware and make a conscious decision based on data and research when to turn their child FF, move to a booster, ditch the booster, etc. They make the decision that's right for their family based on real information and I think most posters here respect that.

Outside the BBB there are too many people (IMO) who are either totally unaware of the risk/consequences of their decisions. (How many people have posted here "I didn't know any better with my first DC".) Then there are the few like the OP's friend who "know its safer but don't care". Not the best parenting attitude, IMO, or at least not one I'd be proud to post on FB!

belovedgandp
03-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Outside the BBB there are too many people (IMO) who are either totally unaware of the risk/consequences of their decisions. (How many people have posted here "I didn't know any better with my first DC".) Then there are the few like the OP's friend who "know its safer but don't care". Not the best parenting attitude, IMO, or at least not one I'd be posting about!

This is the part the rubs me. An educated decision is fine and there is not a one size fits all solution for kids. It is the attitude that my convenience will trump safety that sets a bad precedence for lots of behaviors.

essnce629
03-18-2013, 07:37 PM
My current plan is to booster until at least 9 (when I anticipate DD1 might hit 60lbs), but would prefer 10. I do not criticize others choices as long as they are following the state's law.

So you plan to go by age or weight and not the 5-Step Test? Why is this? I know all the techs say age or weight is irrelevant, just whether or not they pass the 5 steps. DS1 is 9 1/2 years old, 55" tall, and 75lbs and still doesn't pass the 5-Step test. He passes 4 out of 5 steps, but the seat belt still cuts across his neck. I know CA law is 8 years old now, which is at least better than 6 like it was before, but I still don't know any average sized 8 year old that actually pass the 5-Step Test, which is sad since they all ditch the boosters on their 8th birthday. I've read that most kids don't pass the 5-Step Test till they are 10-12 years old. DS1 still rides in a high back booster in my car full time, and a backless when carpooling. Plus, the booster helps absorb some of the force of a crash and puts less strain on a child's hip bones that aren't fully developed yet either. DS1's friends have all been out of boosters since they were 6 years old, since they had already turned 8 when the law changed! Doesn't a parent see how incredibly horrible the seat belt fits on a 6 year old???? Even if the law was 6 I'd think you'd keep your kid in a booster just because it looks so bad without it, but I guess not.

Green_Tea
03-18-2013, 07:47 PM
I thought the recs for boosters are 8 AND 58 inches.

If that's the case, I just barely meet the requirements - and I know for a fact that I couldn't pass the 5 step test. I'm 38. :rotflmao:

I think that some parents just have a hard time wrapping their minds around their kids riding in a booster for that long. My kids are tiny. By the current height/weight standards, my 3rd grader will be in a booster well into middle school - and isn't middle school hard enough already? I'm not saying that taking an 8 year old out of a booster is the right thing to do, but I can understand how many people who don't hang around boards like this one might be baffled by it.

westwoodmom04
03-18-2013, 07:48 PM
But are they not in a booster because you made a conscious decision that they are safe enough for your standards without one given their size and fit in your car (i.e. 5 step test)? Or are they not in a booster because 1. you aren't aware that there's a safer option for some 8 year olds or 2. you know they'd be safer but just stated publicly that you don't care because your own convenience trumps safety?

For most people on the BBB its the first, they are aware and make a conscious decision based on data and research when to turn their child FF, move to a booster, ditch the booster, etc. They make the decision that's right for their family based on real information and I think most posters here respect that.

Outside the BBB there are too many people (IMO) who are either totally unaware of the risk/consequences of their decisions. (How many people have posted here "I didn't know any better with my first DC".) Then there are the few like the OP's friend who "know its safer but don't care". Not the best parenting attitude, IMO, or at least not one I'd be proud to post on FB!

I'm sure it's not intentional, but the tone of this post makes me feel it's not worth my time to respond. I certainly think I make decisions based on "real information."

Kindra178
03-18-2013, 07:51 PM
This is the part the rubs me. An educated decision is fine and there is not a one size fits all solution for kids. It is the attitude that my convenience will trump safety that sets a bad precedence for lots of behaviors.

Agreed. I am just not sure that no booster is easier than booster or the other way around. It's the same thing, buckling a seat belt.

As to the law, isn't it to turn your kid around at age 1? On my local board, this is a heated conversation right now. People are saying with my first (people with 4 year olds), I didn't know any better. But my kid is 6.75 and he was my longest rearfacer!

lmintzer
03-18-2013, 08:03 PM
I may have the oldest boostered child here. My tiny 6th grader (turning 12 in April) is still boostered much of the time. I allow him to skip it in friends' cars or on the rare occasion we drive a friend. I am hoping he will be tall enough to be out of it altogether very soon.

niccig
03-18-2013, 09:03 PM
If that's the case, I just barely meet the requirements - and I know for a fact that I couldn't pass the 5 step test. I'm 38. :rotflmao:

But your 38 year old hip and vertebrae bones are fully formed and stronger than a similar sized 8-10 yr old.

DS is 8 yo and 50". The seatbelt cuts his neck and across lower face. He's not getting out of a booster until that changes. As we get closer to MS, I'll reasses. I'm not taking him out now when it's do obvious he is unsafe and it's not an issue to him to be in it. If it becomes an issue, we'll reasses.

Green_Tea
03-18-2013, 09:07 PM
But your 38 year old hip and vertebrae bones are fully formed and stronger than a similar sized 8-10 yr old.

DS is 8 yo and 50". The seatbelt cuts his neck and across lower face. He's not getting out of a booster until that changes. As we get closer to MS, I'll reasses.

I understand that. I was being tongue-in-cheek, hence the smilie. And I specified that 8 year olds who don't meet the requirements should definitely stay in a booster.

Multimama
03-18-2013, 09:15 PM
I'm sure it's not intentional, but the tone of this post makes me feel it's not worth my time to respond. I certainly think I make decisions based on "real information."

I think you misunderstood BayGirl's post. She was saying that you make an informed decision after gathering all of the evidence (or what is available to you) whereas many parents out there (not you) may not and that is the difference even if the end result (the decision to stop boostering at a young age) is the same.

AnnieW625
03-18-2013, 09:23 PM
So you plan to go by age or weight and not the 5-Step Test? Why is this? I know all the techs say age or weight is irrelevant, just whether or not they pass the 5 steps. .......

No I am not discounting the need for the 5 step test at all. That is part of my plan, it always has been and it always will be. I guess I did not articulate myself properly and should have said in correct BBB speak the following:

"I plan on boostering my kids until they are at least 9 or 10, and they can pass the 5 step test."

Who knows if they will be able to or not and I will make that choice when the time comes. I was not overly tall at 9 or 10, but by the time I was 11 I was 4'11", and I know I weighed about 100lbs then. Honestly I think that the Frontier 85's 5'5" boostering height is a little obsurb for a neuro typical child. I am 5'5" tall now and if I weighed 120lbs I could still ride in it as an adult. Our Frontier 80 goes to 60" tall, so 5' tall, which I think for a neuro typical child is just fine and should easily get them to 10 or 11, maybe even 12 boostered if their parent chooses, but IMHO anything older than that seems to be overkill, esp. if they are traveling in a 5 star rated car.

Height and weight will make a difference as well. My DD1 will be 8 in just over a year and she is barely 45lbs with clothes and shoes on so I highly doubt that she will be 8 and 60lbs by then which is why I stated in my original post that I would prefer a law of 8 and 60lbs.

I think that some parents just have a hard time wrapping their minds around their kids riding in a booster for that long. My kids are tiny. By the current height/weight standards, my 3rd grader will be in a booster well into middle school - and isn't middle school hard enough already? I'm not saying that taking an 8 year old out of a booster is the right thing to do, but I can understand how many people who don't hang around boards like this one might be baffled by it.

:yeahthat: I completely agree with this. I mean kudos if your kid willing stays in a booster until 11 or 12, but I highly doubt that is the norm anywhere and people shouldn't be criticized what so ever if they don't agree (as long as they are following the state laws).

:yeahthat: I am one of the few here who turned my DD1 at 12 mos., and 22lbs because that is all I knew. I am thankful everyday for what I have learned here, but honestly some of the militant enforcing of some issues really rubs me the wrong way as well. :bighand: to all of those first time parents who were able to make the right "BBB approved" decision on their own with out the BBB with their first child.

malphy
03-18-2013, 09:26 PM
I just checked the law in New Jersey and am shocked. I will keep dd in her hbb as long as feasible.

New Jersey’s law requires children ages 7 & under who weigh less than 80 pounds to be secured in a child passenger restraint system or booster seat in a rear seat.

Is this actually true? i can't believe it.

Yes, the seats are a pia, but my child is worth the aggravation to myself.

I don't judge other who don't feel the way I do, but I wonder what would happen if........

Multimama
03-18-2013, 09:31 PM

I've had to ride in vehicles where I didn't pass the 5-step test and it is so uncomfortable I wished I could ride in a booster. :)

SASM
03-18-2013, 09:37 PM
I hear you. My friend lets her 9yo sit in the front seat. :( Her 5yo is boostered in the large backseat...all by herself...tiny 9yo is in the front. I just don't get it.

TxCat
03-18-2013, 09:39 PM
I posted this a couple years ago in the car seat forum, but there was an AWFUL case here locally a few years ago - the family involved were actually friends of friends. Head on collision on a country highway - the mother and father were both killed. In the backseat of their minivan were their 9-year-old, their 8-year-old, and their 6-year-old. The 9- and 8-year olds both suffered permanent spinal cord damage and are now paraplegics. The 6-year-old survived with only a broken leg. The 6-year-old was the only child of the three still in a booster seat.

ett
03-18-2013, 09:51 PM
I just checked the law in New Jersey and am shocked. I will keep dd in her hbb as long as feasible.

New Jersey’s law requires children ages 7 & under who weigh less than 80 pounds to be secured in a child passenger restraint system or booster seat in a rear seat.

Is this actually true? i can't believe it.

Yes, the seats are a pia, but my child is worth the aggravation to myself.

I don't judge other who don't feel the way I do, but I wonder what would happen if........

Do you mean the limit is too low? MA has the same booster law and that only came into effect several years ago. Which states have stricter laws.

I'm probably the only person at our school who still has their 6 year old in a 5pt. harness and 9 1/2 year old in a booster. DS2 is only 39lbs and 44 inches and fits great in our Frontier. DS1 is almost 57 inches but he still sits in a LBB.

kbud
03-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Well, here in FL she's made it way beyond the norm.

The law here is carseat through age 3. At 4 no booster or carseat is required, only a seatbelt...oh and the front seat is just fine. The scary thing here is probably 80% go by this even highly educated.

My oldest is 9 and just passed the 5 step test in our van but no other vehicles she rides in so she is not boostered in the van but is in a booster in all other vehicles. My 5 1/2 year old is in a HBB. They are so not the norm here. Most are out of boosters by kindy and sitting in the front seat.

The one that gets me is my 9 year olds friend's mom is a sheriff's deputy and very over protective, walks her into the classroom every day, won't drop her off at parties unless she really, really knows the family (we've known them for 4 years and I guess don't pass the test yet) but she rides to school, without a booster in the front seat of their jeep! She is a very small kid too.

Anyhow....I've quite trying to educate anyone for the most part. It's worthless. It's not the law here so it must be safe.

stillplayswithbarbies
03-18-2013, 10:28 PM
My 10 year old is in a 5-point harness in one car and a high back booster in the other. She still fits in the 5-point harness, so why not be safer. She has been buckling herself for years so no aggravation to me at all.

my 4.5 year old is rear-facing and will be for a long time unless she suddenly gets too tall.

TwinFoxes
03-18-2013, 10:31 PM
I think you misunderstood BayGirl's post. She was saying that you make an informed decision after gathering all of the evidence (or what is available to you) whereas many parents out there (not you) may not and that is the difference even if the end result (the decision to stop boostering at a young age) is the same.

:yeahthat: I think Baygirl was saying that you, Westwood and others, made a conscious decision based on facts, unlike the person in question who just seemed to feel she couldn't be bothered with a booster even though its safer.

StantonHyde
03-18-2013, 10:50 PM
My DS is 10.5 and is still in a booster. Until he is 57", then I will check the 5 point test. (He is only an inch or so short now. I certainly will not have him in a booster in middle school--too much!) But I am sticking to the height rule!! Boosters are easy--I have no idea why people think they are incovenient. Plus backless boosters are cheap. We have 4 boosters (2 in each car) plus one or 2 extras for play dates.

maydaymommy
03-18-2013, 10:52 PM
I posted this a couple years ago in the car seat forum, but there was an AWFUL case here locally a few years ago - the family involved were actually friends of friends. Head on collision on a country highway - the mother and father were both killed. In the backseat of their minivan were their 9-year-old, their 8-year-old, and their 6-year-old. The 9- and 8-year olds both suffered permanent spinal cord damage and are now paraplegics. The 6-year-old survived with only a broken leg. The 6-year-old was the only child of the three still in a booster seat.

I also know this family personally.
I have always wondered about the similarity of the boys' injuries.
Did the seatbelts cause the damage? Did they have them behind their backs?

Tragic.

Sure makes me reconsider boosters for older kids.
I've been letting ds1 ride in a backless booster if it's a quick ride w/ another family, but I need to review the guidelines.
His regular seat is a 5pt harness, but I am ignorant about what's next & I just went along & did what all our friends did & got a little booster for driving extra kids.

Can I put a high back booster in the odyssey's 3rd row?

fedoragirl
03-18-2013, 11:10 PM
My kids will be in boosters til they're 12. That's the law in Germany. It's so weird because they allow FF at 1 year old, front seat FF too (not RF in front seat) but they mandate booster seats till 12. There is no age, height limitation.

GaPeach_in_Ca
03-18-2013, 11:11 PM
I don't always make decisions on what the absolute safest.

I did some searching and I didn't see any results on how much safer a child is by using a booster vs without when the seatbelt does fit correctly. I feel that it does fit my son correctly and after look over the 5pt test and the some other guidelines, I still feel that way.

IRL, my son was the only child in his soccer carpool using a booster seat for 2 years. (He continued to use the booster through this season.) I find those friends to be excellent parents despit the fact that their carseat use would have been panned here.

FWIW, my son is only in the car weekdays for 2-3 miles a day, all on 35mph streets, even when accounting for after school activities. He may ride on a street with a > 45mph speed limit a few times a month. Should someone who chose to live much further away from their daily activities be scolded for causing their child to be in more danger? The risk of injury/death in car accident is calculated per mile travelled, generally. Therefore, the risk is probably lower for my son than the average 8 year old just based on that fact. Of course, I may be able to further lower that risk by using a booster.

Anyways, I realize the majority of posters here would not agree with our choice. That's fine.

I do believe I am a good parent. YMMV.

westwoodmom04
03-18-2013, 11:42 PM
:yeahthat: I think Baygirl was saying that you, Westwood and others, made a conscious decision based on facts, unlike the person in question who just seemed to feel she couldn't be bothered with a booster even though its safer.

I'm not looking to make a big deal of this because I understand that people feel passionate about this issue (keeping children safe is certainly a worthy goal) and I think Baygirl didn't mean to offend. However, the second part of this paragraph implies that unless you've conducted the five point test either (1) you are uninformed or (2) you are self-interested and lazy.

elektra
03-19-2013, 12:53 AM
My kids will be in boosters til they're 12. That's the law in Germany. It's so weird because they allow FF at 1 year old, front seat FF too (not RF in front seat) but they mandate booster seats till 12. There is no age, height limitation.

My brother and I would have been practically hitting our heads on car ceilings at 12!

And in regards to car seats and their annoyance, I feel like any kind of required gear is some level of PITA is it not? I mean, I have planned whole trips around car seat usage!
It would be really nice to not have to plan things around whether or not a car seat is available. DS's preschool choice is in some small part based on car seat usage (factoring in if SIL can do one of the pick ups). I carried bubblebums all over NYC just in case we might have to grab an emergency cab at some point- PITA! My brother's IL's in NYC probably thought we were nuts (but were at least super nice about it- they can all talk to me when DB and SIL become parents ;)) I totally get why people want to be over them.
That being said, I have tons of car seats (9 now to be exact), with only the latest one being a HBB for DD's occassional use. And I plan to continue harnessing her until she at least outgrows her current harnessed seats in my and DH's car, and then we will go to HBB's. After that I will see what happens.

bisous
03-19-2013, 01:34 AM
OK, can someone factcheck me here? I thought I knew this stuff but now I'm concerned.

First, correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think there was a weight requirement for car seat usage in CA? I'm pretty sure that it is 8 years old or 57" (4'9" tall), right??

Second, well, DS is 9 so he meets the requirements and while he is tall, he is only 55" but he amply meets the 5 point requirements including having his feet on the floor of the rear seat of my car. I feel like in some respects he is safer without a booster since the positioning of the shoulder belt is weird when he is sitting in a booster and fits much better just in a seat belt. (His feet dangle when he is boostered too).

I did notice in DH's car (which is actually smaller than mine) he does NOT pass the 5 point requirements so he still rides in a booster. The outboard seats dip in and so the seat belt doesn't fit him across the hips properly if that makes sense.

Are we using seats properly?

I'm so happy to have learned about proper car seat usage here on the BBB. The amount of misinformation out there is astounding. Heck, I'm checking to make sure I'm STILL not confused, lol.

calebsmama03
03-19-2013, 01:46 AM
OK, can someone factcheck me here? I thought I knew this stuff but now I'm concerned.

First, correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think there was a weight requirement for car seat usage in CA? I'm pretty sure that it is 8 years old or 57" (4'9" tall), right??

Second, well, DS is 9 so he meets the requirements and while he is tall, he is only 55" but he amply meets the 5 point requirements including having his feet on the floor of the rear seat of my car. I feel like in some respects he is safer without a booster since the positioning of the shoulder belt is weird when he is sitting in a booster and fits much better just in a seat belt. (His feet dangle when he is boostered too).

I did notice in DH's car (which is actually smaller than mine) he does NOT pass the 5 point requirements so he still rides in a booster. The outboard seats dip in and so the seat belt doesn't fit him across the hips properly if that makes sense.

I'm so happy to have learned about proper car seat usage here on the BBB. The amount of misinformation out there is astounding. Heck, I'm checking to make sure I'm STILL not confused, lol.
This is my DS exactly, only difference is he's 10 now. This is how we use his booster, as well. No booster 3rd row my car, booster 2nd row my car and in DHs car.

s7714
03-19-2013, 01:54 AM

I had to double check myself as the Dr. told me it was 58" the other day. It is 57". No weight requirement as far as I've ever seen.
http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/safeseat.html

My 10 year old is only 51" so while legally she doesn't make the 57" line, she technically meets the 5-step qualifiers in DHs car to go booster-less, but isn't even remotely close in mine. Up until a few months ago I still had her in a 5-point harness because she still fit. I finally decided to let her switch to HBB mode, but probably would have kept her in harness mode as long as possible if she hadn't been asking constantly.

I used to work with a lady who legally wasn't big enough to ride in the front seat or the back seat without a booster if age wasn't a factor. Her grand kids used to badger her because they were bigger than her in both height and weight yet had to sit in the back with a booster.

essnce629
03-19-2013, 02:03 AM

It sounds like you're doing everything perfectly fine. He passes the 5-Step Test in one car so he doesn't need to use a booster there any more, and in the car he doesn't pass the 5-Step Test he does use a booster. The car's seat belt is perfectly safe IF it fits the child properly. I don't think anyone is saying to keep kids in boosters after they pass the 5-Step Test. At that point, keeping them in a booster sometimes makes the seat belt not fit properly (slipping off the shoulder, etc). And as you've noticed, it's often on a case by case basis depending on what car is being used. Lots of kids pass all 5 steps in some cars but not others.

arivecchi
03-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Here is an article describing the crash in Texas and the seatbelt injury suffered by the boys:

http://www.chron.com/life/article/Blended-mended-family-3513699.php

Here is a blog entry regarding the incident and car seat usage. Note the comment by the car seat lady.

http://www.texaschildrensblog.org/2011/08/car-seat-safety-a-tragedy-should-not-have-to-be-the-reminder/

Accidents like this are rare, but why take the chance?