PDA

View Full Version : Small UPDATE Diagnose my seriously underweight, cranky 18 mo?

bisous
03-19-2013, 02:25 AM
See last post.

I'm trying to prepare for my ped. appointment on Friday. DS3 is SUPER underweight. He is not yet 20 pounds and he is 18 months old. His development (including height) is otherwise fantastic. He has over 100 words, walks, runs, JUMPS (easier when you're a peanut, I'm sure) and climbs everything in town. BUT he is VERY cranky and grouchy. He seems like he might not feel great. I don't know what he could have but I want to bring up any possibilities with the pediatrician.

Again, I'm not sure that he *has* anything. But I just want to make sure that I don't ignore any possible pain issues that he is having. With DS3 it is tough because our relationship is rocky right now and I feel like my "mommy gut" has been damaged. I don't necessarily think that he has something wrong with him, but I want to rule EVERYTHING out.

Any hunches of things I can bring up with my ped?

THANK YOU!

goldenpig
03-19-2013, 03:28 AM
I'm sorry things are rough for your DS3. I hope you can get some answers.

My DD fell off the growth chart for weight when she was a baby/toddler. She had silent reflux and problems with refusing to breastfeed and eating very little and sleeping poorly (and a whole host of other silent reflux symptoms). Her cognitive/behavioral development was fine though. DS1 had the same problems with silent reflux and poor weight gain, plus a rash (face/diaper area) and I finally figured out it was due to dairy allergy (milk protein intolerance). In retrospect I think DD also had MPI, but I never figured it out back then. They were both allergy tested and negative for reaction to milk on the skin prick and blood tests, but this is a protein intolerance and is usually negative on IgE testing, so it causes delayed GI symptoms rather than anaphylactic-type reactions. Here are some symptoms of pediatric GERD:
http://www.reflux.org/reflux/webdoc01.nsf/%28vwWebPage%29/AboutGERD.htm?OpenDocument
and milk protein intolerance:
http://www.ehow.com/about_5517047_milk-protein-intolerance-symptoms.html

Another possibility to consider with the poor weight gain and irritability is celiac disease:
http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/symptomsofceliacdisease/a/Celiac-Disease-Symptoms-In-Children.htm

Or less common, but elevated lead levels can affect behavior:
http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/lead_exposure_in_children_affects_brain_and_behavi or

I'm sure there are other possibilities, but those are a few that come to mind off the top of my head.

Hope you can get some answers from your doctor. Definitely advocate for your child and make sure they do some investigating. My (former) pediatrician was always saying DD was fine even though she was falling off the charts and I knew something was wrong, and I had to figure it out for myself with the help of other moms whose kids had been through the same problems, and ask for her to get medications (I don't think he believed she had reflux because she wasn't spitting up, even though she had all the classic symptoms of silent reflux). Same with DS1 and the dairy allergy--I felt like his pedi was skeptical at first. All the testing was negative but he had consistent reactions every time I consumed even small amounts of dairy. I'm now avoiding dairy with DS2, even then I think he is still refluxing--but hopefully won't be as bad as the first two though.

Anyways, hope your DS turns out to be fine, as long as they do a good workup.

ETA: I just went back and read your other thread. Are you still breastfeeding your DS? If so, you may want to think about eliminating dairy. I went through this with DS1 (who I BF till 2, and DD till 3). He reacted to even small amounts of dairy that I consumed (like a couple pieces of milk chocolate) with a face rash, runny nose and waking up all night irritable and crying. It was consistent (and I did cheat or accidentally eat dairy many times, always with the same reaction). I had to remove all traces of dairy from my diet, even hidden dairy like casein/whey, before I was able to get him off his reflux meds. You may want to keep a food diary of what he eats and what you eat to see if you can discern a pattern with his behavior/fussiness--maybe he has a food allergy or intolerance.

Mommy4life
03-19-2013, 05:52 AM
I'm new to these forums so I'm not sure what DS and DD means... :-) all the things listed above are great suggestions... My son had this problem also, they tested for reflux, negative.. They did some other test.. Negative.. I was starting to think he was just going to be a kid that had a hard time putting on weight.. This is when I realized his moodiness cranky.. One day my son got sick, took him to the ped, long story short, he was admitted to the hospital for Iv antibiotics.. With in two days he was back to his normal self.. I was ready for us to be discharged at day 5 the last day of antibiotics.. His Iv was discontinued and the only thing he was hooked to was a pulse ox.. On day 7 is when I started asking questions why we are still here.. Of course the nurse didn't tell us anything.. His dr came in and I said what's going on? The dr said that when my son was sleeping, his respiratory was going high and he wasn't properly oxygenating his blood.. They ended up doing a sleep study and sure enough, he was fine during the day but at naps and at night, he wasn't getting into the proper sleep cycle because his body went into over drive trying to get o2 to his body.. Needless to say he now sleeps with o2 at naps and at night, and it has completely changed my son! He's not even the same kid.. He has put weight on like no other and his moodiness is gone.. And has tons more energy.. The dr said he wasn't putting on weight because he was wasting all his calorie intake on breathing when he slept..
. How does your son sleep? At naps and at night?
Just another thing you can rule out.. :-)

Good luck, and keep strong! A mother noses their child better than anyone else!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joonbug
03-19-2013, 06:56 AM
My DD has always been underweight but it was determined her reflux and prematurity caused this, mostly reflux was to blame.. He doesnt have any heart conditions, either, right? Also, anemia (low blood iron) can increase moodiness and crankiness. But being mody, cranky, irritable AND issues putting on weight all point into reflux or some other GI issues. Hope you get some answers!

maestramommy
03-19-2013, 07:52 AM
The underweight thing wouldn't worry me, but if you're thinking about reflux can you point to any possible symptoms? Also pp suggestion about quality of sleep is a good one. DD2 had sleep apnea which I discovered only accidentally (slept with her during a weeklong trip). She ended up getting her tonsils and adenoids out, and was suddenly sleeping much better.

Is your DS a picky eater? I know he's only 18 months, but do you sense he is eating very little or much less than one would expect? For my kids I know that bad sleep and bad eating are two major triggers of bad mood.

:hug: Hope the ped appointment yields some answers!

anonomom
03-19-2013, 07:53 AM
How has your DS's growth curve been? If it's been smooth and trending upward, however slowly, he might just be a little guy (DD2 didn't hit 20 pounds until she was 19.5 months old).

However, if your gut is telling you something is wrong, trust it. Even if you're doubting yourself right now, you know your kid best.

m4nash
03-19-2013, 08:04 AM
How has your DS's growth curve been? If it's been smooth and trending upward, however slowly, he might just be a little guy (DD2 didn't hit 20 pounds until she was 19.5 months old).

However, if your gut is telling you something is wrong, trust it. Even if you're doubting yourself right now, you know your kid best.

:yeahthat:

DD didn't hit 20 lbs until she was 24 months old, but that was totally in line with her growth curve. She is moody, but I attribute that to personality and being a toddler.

If you suspect something more going on definitely get it checked out.

egoldber
03-19-2013, 08:08 AM
:yeahthat:

He is not yet 20 pounds and he is 18 months old. His development (including height) is otherwise fantastic.

Younger DD was exactly like this. She wasn't on the growth curve until she was 18 months old. She didn't hit 20 pounds until she was almost 2. She is barely 40 pounds at 6.5!

She was also reflux-y and dairy intolerant (not allergic).

But her development has always been on target and even ahead.

indigo99
03-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Does he get plenty of sleep? I know that he needs more, but I find it much more difficult for DS2 to get enough rest with DS1 around all the time.

lhafer
03-19-2013, 11:54 AM
As long as your child is growing, putting on weight after the walking stage gets harder. They tend to run off their calories instead of packing it on. My DD1 has always been petite. The only time she was ever a "normal" weight was the day she was born. Currently she's 7 years old and weighs a hefty 42 pounds fully clothed.

Hope the pedi can help with the other issues.

Katigre
03-19-2013, 12:07 PM
I'm trying to prepare for my ped. appointment on Friday. DS3 is SUPER underweight. He is not yet 20 pounds and he is 18 months old. His development (including height) is otherwise fantastic. He has over 100 words, walks, runs, JUMPS (easier when you're a peanut, I'm sure) and climbs everything in town. BUT he is VERY cranky and grouchy. He seems like he might not feel great. I don't know what he could have but I want to bring up any possibilities with the pediatrician.

Again, I'm not sure that he *has* anything. But I just want to make sure that I don't ignore any possible pain issues that he is having. With DS3 it is tough because our relationship is rocky right now and I feel like my "mommy gut" has been damaged. I don't necessarily think that he has something wrong with him, but I want to rule EVERYTHING out.

Any hunches of things I can bring up with my ped?

THANK YOU!
If tests for other things are ruled out (like heart issues), this screams food sensitivities. Ex. Kids who are celiac that I know were seriously underweight and cranky bc their bodies didn't feel well. Same for reflux kids.

How is his poop? You can tell quite a bit from that (frequency/consistency).

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

jse107
03-19-2013, 12:37 PM
As a mom to two previously food intolerant kids, I was also going to suggest some type of food-protein sensitivity. Celiac perhaps? If it was just a weight issue, I'd just think it might be the was your DS is. With the crankiness, and the fact this is your 3rd (so your momma gut is probably right), I'd be leaning towards keeping a food diary.

PZMommy
03-19-2013, 12:44 PM
My son is not yet 20 pounds and is 18 months old. His pedi did a whole bunch of blood tests to rule out anything metabolic or with his thyroid, and I'm not even sure what else. Everything came back fine. He has severe asthma, and spends more time being sick than healthy, so we think that is the cause of his weight issues. I would see if they could do some blood work, as that is a fairly easy way to rule out a bunch of stuff.

mommylamb
03-19-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm new to these forums so I'm not sure what DS and DD means... :-) all the things listed above are great suggestions... My son had this problem also, they tested for reflux, negative.. They did some other test.. Negative.. I was starting to think he was just going to be a kid that had a hard time putting on weight.. This is when I realized his moodiness cranky.. One day my son got sick, took him to the ped, long story short, he was admitted to the hospital for Iv antibiotics.. With in two days he was back to his normal self.. I was ready for us to be discharged at day 5 the last day of antibiotics.. His Iv was discontinued and the only thing he was hooked to was a pulse ox.. On day 7 is when I started asking questions why we are still here.. Of course the nurse didn't tell us anything.. His dr came in and I said what's going on? The dr said that when my son was sleeping, his respiratory was going high and he wasn't properly oxygenating his blood.. They ended up doing a sleep study and sure enough, he was fine during the day but at naps and at night, he wasn't getting into the proper sleep cycle because his body went into over drive trying to get o2 to his body.. Needless to say he now sleeps with o2 at naps and at night, and it has completely changed my son! He's not even the same kid.. He has put weight on like no other and his moodiness is gone.. And has tons more energy.. The dr said he wasn't putting on weight because he was wasting all his calorie intake on breathing when he slept..
. How does your son sleep? At naps and at night?
Just another thing you can rule out.. :-)

Good luck, and keep strong! A mother noses their child better than anyone else!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that is fascinating. So glad they figured out what the problem was. DS and DD stand for Dear Son and Dear Daughter, and they're just BBB speak for our kids.

OP, best of luck with figuring it out.

bisous
03-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Thank you all for sharing your examples and posting suggestions. I'm not sure my mommy gut is sounding. I just feel like I need to rule out everything, iykwim.

If DS was just small but happy, I wouldn't worry as much. Likewise if he were just cranky but a healthy weight. It is the combo that gives me pause. Thanks for giving me more food for thought. I'm on my phone right now and it is tough to reply but to your individual inquiries but I will later.

KpbS
03-19-2013, 04:03 PM
How is his appetite? Does he eat a lot/little/varying amounts per day? Any sensory issues that might interfere with his eating? I wonder if some of the crankiness/moodiness is hunger?

I definitely agree with a full work-up. Hugs to you, mama! :hug:

bisous
03-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Hi Guys. I've been poring over the advice and suggestions I've been given here. I haven't had much time to get back to this thread but I've "been" here IYKWIM!

Ultimately, I've gone over every suggestion here. I made a list of the possible problems but I think my "gut" is telling me that he is just SUPER sensitive and a very, very picky eater. His BMs are always a good consistency and common. He doesn't get rashes, his breathing is good, his SLEEPING is good (except he occasionally still wakes at night to nurse), but he IS cranky.

I think the cranky is caused by the fact that he's super sensitive AND he might be hungry. He is so picky that he'd rather NOT eat than eat what I've provided. Over the past couple of months I've discovered that he does not like bland food. He likes Indian food, enchiladas, Kung Pao chicken, minestrone soup, salsa, etc. He doesn't like breads or sweets though there are some fruits that he really likes. I've noticed that he'll eat a TON of highly spiced highly seasoned foods and then his mood is actually much better AND he'll sleep through the night!

I've gone through periods where I've avoided dairy and it seems to have little affect. I'm good at avoiding dairy, too because I've done it with DS1 and I had both DS1 and DS2 on a gluten free casein free diet for 8 months. I recently decided to add dairy (in the form of yogurt and cheese) back into DS3's diet and he's been eating a ton. Since he is so picky, I'm definitely seeing this as a positive thing!

I did have the ped. test for celiac, lead and iron deficiencies. I'm still waiting for results but I'm starting to feel good about my sensitive/picky eating theory.

To offset, I'm going to keep "his food" around all the time. Wouldn't you know DS1 and DS2 won't eat ANYthing spicy/highly seasoned so it might be that we have two options at meals for the next few months.

We'll have to see if his mood improves. The sensitivity also affects his general mood so we'll see. Just wanted to update you and thank you for your observations. They were very, very helpful!

bisous
03-22-2013, 04:40 PM
How is his appetite? Does he eat a lot/little/varying amounts per day? Any sensory issues that might interfere with his eating? I wonder if some of the crankiness/moodiness is hunger?

I definitely agree with a full work-up. Hugs to you, mama! :hug:

Just wanted to clarify that this is the comment that was kind of the "aha" moment for me. I think this is precisely what is going on.

Indianamom2
03-22-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm wondering if he maybe has some sensory issues, both relating to food and just life in general. The pickiness is a major symptom here, except DD will only eat bland stuff with certain textures. Your little guy might seek strong flavors (in other words he'd be more of a sensory seeker than avoider like my DD).

If he's picky enough that he's not eating much, he might be cranky due to hunger (not your fault, just might explain some crankiness).

It's hard to figure these kiddos out sometimes.

maestramommy
03-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Saw your update. Your DS sounds a lot like one of my DN. She is so picky she will not eat even if she is hungry. As a result she is probably hungry a lot of time. She is also cranky a lot for no particular reason. I say if your DS likes strong flavored food, give him that. Do you and Dh like spicy foods? If so, at least you aren't cooking an alternative for only one person. Is it possible (I don't know) to cook a mild/blander version of these foods that your other two will eat, then let your DS doctor it to his taste?

bisous
03-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Saw your update. Your DS sounds a lot like one of my DN. She is so picky she will not eat even if she is hungry. As a result she is probably hungry a lot of time. She is also cranky a lot for no particular reason. I say if your DS likes strong flavored food, give him that. Do you and Dh like spicy foods? If so, at least you aren't cooking an alternative for only one person. Is it possible (I don't know) to cook a mild/blander version of these foods that your other two will eat, then let your DS doctor it to his taste?

Yeah, DH and I LOVE spicy food! So I'm loving having at least one kid that will eat to *MY* taste. The other two are just going to have to get the "B" dinner items, lol.