PDA

View Full Version : how many times does your DC wake to use the bathroom?

lmh2402
03-19-2013, 11:01 AM
DS has been waking up twice a night to pee

and he really does pee each time. he has nothing to drink after 5:15/5:30 pm.

just wondering if this is "normal"?

thx

edurnemk
03-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Normal for us. He's gotten better and is now only waking once, but for a loooong time it was usually twice a night and I also limit fluids after 5:30-6 pm (he goes to bed at 8)

ETA: The waking to use the bathroom thing got way worse when DD was born, and for a few months. I think he just wanted to "check" on us, know what was going on in my room at night (DD sleeps in my room), and make sure I would still tend to him during the night if he needed me. He also started wetting his bed. Now he's back to his normal habit of waking once per night, and sometimes not all, and no accidents.

SnuggleBuggles
03-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Zero for both boys once night potty trained.

elektra
03-19-2013, 11:36 AM
My DD will need to pee in the middle of the night on occasion, but DS never does. I feel like he has an abnormally strong bladder though! I would think even needing a pullup at 3 would be totally normal.

123LuckyMom
03-19-2013, 11:39 AM
My DS was potty trained late, at 3.5. From the week after his first potty use, he was in undies through the night with no waking to use the potty. He has had a few accidents at night since then, but only a very few. I would think waking twice a night would be unusual.

mommylamb
03-19-2013, 12:40 PM
I don't think your DS is abnormal certainly, though that's not our experience with DS1. The kid has a bladder of steel. He almost never wakes up at night to go, and he has been night trained since as soon as he day trained.

rin
03-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Since being potty trained last fall, DD has never once woken up in the night to pee. Then again, except when I'm pregnant I don't either. I don't think it sounds unusual, though; I know many people, adults and kids, who wake up multiple times a night to pee.

hillview
03-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Zero for both boys once night potty trained.
:yeahthat:

YouAreTheFocus
03-19-2013, 02:45 PM
DS is extreme in the other direction. Drinks water up to 8:30 bedtime, goes when forced anywhere between 8-10am.

lmh2402
03-19-2013, 04:14 PM
hmmm...ok. we still put a pull up on him, though he never pees in it anymore. but the multiple wakings is kind of a drag. oh well. here's to hoping he grows out of it.

thanks

SnuggleBuggles
03-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Does he need help? I think sometimes ds2 gets up to use the bathroom at night but he doesn't wake us up. Could your ds be "trained" to handle it himself?

BunnyBee
03-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Frequent night peeing can be a red flag for sleep apnea. My DS used to wake up at least once, but he has not since he has his tonsils and adenoids removed. He also snored like an old man.

sunshine873
03-20-2013, 09:59 AM
DD usually gets up at least once a night. But to be fair, we don't restrict liquids and she even has a water bottle next to her bed. But I can't remember the last time she had an accident, so as long as she wakes up, we'll keep doing what we're doing. Oh, and she does it on her own, sometimes I just lightly wake up and hear the toilet flush and the toilet seat as it closes. So, that makes it all easier to deal with.

georgiegirl
03-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Dd never.

DS rarely ASKS to go. But, he sometimes he wakes in the middle of the night and chugs half of his water bottle, so I make him go. I've found he goes back to sleep easier if he has an empty bladder. I don't restrict liquids for either kid, and they will often chug lots of water before bed, despite my attempts to dissuade them.