PDA

View Full Version : Most expensive benadryl and motrin ever..

niccig
03-19-2013, 02:00 PM
I was at the ER last night for what they think was an allergic reaction to something.

I started day with what I thought were a few insect bits on my forearms and calves. During day they spread and by afternoon bigger and itchy, but not too bad. I thought maybe hives and I'll get some benadryl on way home. It's now 6.30pm and I have a quiz and presentation in class starting at 7pm. I do those. Then go to use restroom and my left foot hurts. I take off shoe and sock and I have huge red swollen ankle and top of foot. OK, need to leave class now and go to Urgent Care. Which was closed, why are there no urgent care open after 8pm near my house? The ER is less than a mile away, so went there in case DH would need to come get me. DS said it looked like I had a tennis ball in my ankle (I have skinny ankles normally). By the time I get to the ER, I now have the swelling and itching around my eyes.

2 hours later, bendaryl and anti-inflammatory meds, they send me home saying "think it's allergic reaction, but no idea on why your left ankle got so swollen..check with your DR."

My Dr does think allergic reaction, not sure to what. I still have the weals in some areas, but no longer itchy. Left ankle is less swollen and I can walk on it, but only wear flip flops. Keep taking antihistamine, carry benadryl if happens so take sooner than 12 hours after first symptoms (I thought they were bug bites). We'll track food and have allergy testing if happens again. And as I have thyroid disease, she's running blood work to rule out any other autoimmune diseases.

I'm hoping it's a one-off freak thing.

crl
03-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Ugh. Hope it was a one time thing!

Catherine

bisous
03-19-2013, 02:24 PM
That is awful. How odd to have such a severe reaction. I hope they figure it out and you feel better quick!

Kindra178
03-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Sounds terrible. Hope they figure out the cause and you begin to feel better.

gatorsmom
03-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Oh how weird and scary! And jus what you need with your busy schedule!

I hope it just a one-time thing and everything heals up ok.

I thought for sure you were going to say you too, had a super bug.

niccig
03-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Oh how weird and scary! And jus what you need with your busy schedule!

It got me out of class early last night and I missed a morning class for followup with my Dr. I hated this morning class, so not upset there.

I've never had an allergic reaction. My Dr. also said it could be combination of mildly allergic to 1 thing, but then also eat something that mildly allergic to, and the two together caused a larger reaction? I don't know.

I still have some swelling in my ankle and red weals, but no longer itchy. I'm to stay on antihistamines until go back to normal. Then carry benadryl and see if happens again. I'll do allergy testing for sure if it happens again.

Hoping it's weird reaction and not my thyroid issues...don't need more on that!

kristenk
03-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Oh my goodness! How awful.

I think hives can be caused by stress. Any chance it's that instead/in addition to allergy?

niccig
03-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Oh my goodness! How awful.

I think hives can be caused by stress. Any chance it's that instead/in addition to allergy?

It could be. I had a lot due yesterday. I was talking to chiropractor friend and he asked if I had sat on my foot that swelled (only left foot did). I had a few hours to study and sometimes I do tuck a foot under me. He just wonders if maybe that's why more swelling in that area.